The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JosephAOI, May 7, 2011.

1. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

This is an opinion stated like a fact which is exactly what I was talking about earlier, stuff like this is just annoying.

And this is an actual opinion put across normally, it doesn't kill people to do this. I feel so pedantic pointing this crap out but it gets very frustrating reading comments like the first quote, they're fundamentally incorrect and come across badly.

2. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

This is why I have almost completely stopped going to forums. People are trying to be so influential that they start babbling about their opinions like everyone sane should agree with them. All this cause they're so self-centered they can't differentiate "me" from "everything".

And not to hit completely off topic: I honestly think this album is their absolute best material. Mostly cause I can't listen to only harsh vocals for a full album, but also simply cause the songwriting is more coherent to me.

3. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

Same here, it's why before the last few days I had barely posted in months, most forums including this one have become like this, in fact most of the internet really, it's quite upsetting.

4. Addison90

Addison90 SS.org Regular

Lol this happens everywhere, unfortunately. Youtube comment section is far more worse.

5. RagtimeDandy

RagtimeDandy On a Musical Journey

Established band changes their sound, people cry. Clearly most people whining don't write music because you can only rehash the same idea so many times before it's pointless and boring. They changed their sound. Good. It's called staying fresh and inspired.

6. sojourner

sojourner Well-Known Member

Ellie, Aeris, Three Fifty, Daenerys and Lisbeth sounds like a mix between Erra and older-Veil of Maya with Johnny Craig on vocals. One of the best releases this year in my book

7. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

You know, I don't mind clean vocals, but half the time on Matriarch they feel SUPER forced. The riffs aren't quite doing it for me compared to CMC, [iD], or Eclipse, either. The riffs that ARE there are awesome, but there seems to be so much uninspired syncopated chugging compared to actual riffs.

8. Kurkkuviipale

Yeah, which is why I don't post to Youtube...

9. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Don't think the dude was saying that, maybe he was. But this particular style of clean singing isn't anything close to what Devin, Mickael or Warrel do. The clean singing I heard on these VOM tracks could fit in a Taking Back Sunday song.

I'm sure the younger crowd here doesn't even really 'get it', but for those of us who grew up in the 80's/90's, singing was singing. Whenever I see the phrase "clean singing" on this forum, there's an 80-95% chance it's going to sound like some emo kid whining.....just like 'indie' turned into a genre, 'clean singing' is turning into it's own ....ing ....ty genre.

And just to note- coming out and making a big deal about clean singing on your record is pretty much equivalent to making a big deal about sweep picking or anything other technique that can learned. Congratulations, you can sing into a computer and let Melodyne do the work for you. :lol:

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

"Singing was singing", what when people couldn't hold a tune and had close to no range in their voices? The fact that you're pigeon holding vocals in the higher register as "emo kid whining" is a showcase of ignorance in and of itself. And whichever way you look at it, it was going to be a big deal because people don't like change, and it was going to be blown out of proportion by the "loyal" fans and people who hate them. It was mostly blogs and metal news pages making a large deal about them having a vocalist who pulls off cleans as well as screams.

Lukas does a great job and he can pull of the clean vocals like a champ live, the first videos of their release show were just put up and he sounds great.

11. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

these "singers today" dont even come close to what halford or early anselmo pulled off with out major digital production. i have a huge appreciation for singing in early metal e.g maiden, priest, iced earth etc. i just have no tolerence for it in more extreme metal or they way they choose to pull it off in a whining manor. you cant possibly say the way these progressive/djent bands sing is the same as the way maiden/priest metal or even melodeath like soilwork/in flames is the same

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Of course, but you also can't expect someone to be able to change their vocals and have a different tone of voice. You're born with what you got and you're stuck with it, it's not like guitar where you can just swap out pickups and have a different sound. It's also not mine nor your music, and they wrote it how they wanted it to be.

Listing off all those artists/bands just shows that there are many styles of vocals out there because almost all of them sing completely differently. I love all those bands, but no one is comparing artists of now to the artists of then besides a few people here lol.

Ultimately if I like a band, the only thing that ever gets on my nerves is if they underperform live.

13. goherpsNderp

goherpsNderp no refutin' rasputen

you say that as if that's the only way for bands to keep things fresh, by making huge drastic changes? yeah, tell that to all of the popular bands that haven't made such huge changes and are doing just fine.

just because this change makes VOM sound fresh and new, doesn't mean that's the only way for musical groups to achieve that.

14. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Dude, I grew up on Alice In Chains, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Queensrcyhe and Dream Theater. There's PLENTY of ways to sing in higher registers that don't make you sound like you're 14 and writing about your ex girlfriend.

...., I'm not even denying the guy has any skill or anything. And sure the guy can change the way he sings. It's not like screaming is something that happens over night, the dude had to work at that to get it usable, it's obvious he's going for that (I won't say emo) more emotive, youth-aimed, current trend in clean vocal singing that has also been found in bands that happen to write about girlfriends and heartache. And not the Howard Jones, Killswitch kind of Heartache.

Wasn't it these guys who made the Breaking Bad spoof about clean singing?

15. Kurkkuviipale

People whining about vocals being too whiny... Oh the irony...

16. revivalmode

revivalmode SS.org Regular

Someone needs to cover Daenerys on guitar, there's this sick melodic riff where I can't stop listening at! Reminds me a bit of Chon

17. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

They did the Future breed machine noise on the second track...

18. -One-

-One- Not So Kool-Aid

Damn, I am so glad I did not go to this show like I planned to. I love Matriarch, but Lukas' cleans in this video are atrocious, and nowhere near "pull[ing] off the clean vocals like a champ," or "sound[ing] great." Clean vocals should be on a backing track like almost all of their guitar tracks are :noway:

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Huh yeah sounds like you are mistaking Marc Okubo for Josh Travis ... And he bobbled his melody like twice. The vibe and feeling of a live show definitely counts for nothing, ho no. Listening to recordings alone is much better

Internet metal nerds.... PHUCK are we ever annoying.

20. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

Matriarch is hitting me so weirdly. I really cannot tell if I like it yet or not.

Some parts are cool and vibey and hopeful, like Daenerys and Ellie, but some songs and parts are just not sitting well with me. It's like the guitars spend too much time being 'pretty' and then just spend too much time on stuttered chugs.

I think that the singing and upbeat aspects of it are neat at times but there's too much of it on the album. It gets on my nerves after a while, it's like it's too in the way. It feels like the drums and riffs have largely been purposely suppressed from to deal with the singing.
    Teleute is the only song I'm really okay with and don't have any real gripes about. Some songs like Phoenix are just really weak to me, it's like I feel no real climax or anything by the end of the song.

I've been feeling this way about Veil lately as a whole, not just Matriarch, but I'm noticing it more with Matriarch. I've gotta let it set in and listen to it more, but I think I'm just kind of getting out of their music and the whole Sumeriancore thing in general.