The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love American Football! Nineties emo was a whole different thing from the stuff that got big on the radio in the early 00s.

When most people say emo now, they mean this:

You're right. I didn't mind pop punk when Green Day was doing it, by the time it got to Simple Plan, THAT'S what I think of when I think of 'emo' vocals. I relate anything emo related to youth, in both it's sound and fanbase. But yeah, watching both those posted videos, either one of those bands could have released either one of those songs and it seems they'd fit on an album ok together.

Just the way I hear it.

Really, this stuff just dates me. I don't even listen to extreme metal or anything, LoG and SYL are about as intense as I get, so it's not like I'm comparing this on Revered Drucifer's Badassness Scale Of ....in' Metal, just callin' it as I see it, those clean vox are whiney and emo-y as .....

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You're right. I didn't mind pop punk when Green Day was doing it, by the time it got to Simple Plan, THAT'S what I think of when I think of 'emo' vocals. I relate anything emo related to youth, in both it's sound and fanbase. But yeah, watching both those posted videos, either one of those bands could have released either one of those songs and it seems they'd fit on an album ok together.

Just the way I hear it.

Really, this stuff just dates me. I don't even listen to extreme metal or anything, LoG and SYL are about as intense as I get, so it's not like I'm comparing this on Revered Drucifer's Badassness Scale Of ....in' Metal, just callin' it as I see it, those clean vox are whiney and emo-y as .....
First off, I apologize for dragging this incredibly off topic discussion on. This is my last post on it.

I totally understand where you're coming from. Two years ago before I started getting into emo I would have had the same opinion. All I'm pointing out is it is technically wrong (even if totally unimportant), which is why people could get annoyed by it.

It's kind of like how you can show someone death metal and they're like "Oh, so you listen to screamo." Screamo and death metal are wildly different genres and metalheads get annoyed when people use that term to describe metal, but to the average person all screaming just sounds the same. Just because those people aren't aware of the differences doesn't make them any more correct.

It's the same with metalheads calling anything with nasally vocals emo. These vocals sound like post-hardcore, not emo. Now it may not be obvious, because the differences are subtle, but significant to some, just like with screaming. Again, on SSO calling them emo is fine because everyone here understands what you mean, but the vocal style is very different from true "emo," so it could be irritating for some to hear the term incorrectly thrown around so often. I believe that's why Jonathan20022 called it narrow minded.

Nour Ayasso

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recently became a huge fan of these guys. I'm digging all their stuff, old and new. I'm really digging all their albums, some songs specifically, the singles are awesome too. I hope the new album is heavily anime referenced as well :)

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First off, I apologize for dragging this incredibly off topic discussion on. This is my last post on it.

I totally understand where you're coming from. Two years ago before I started getting into emo I would have had the same opinion. All I'm pointing out is it is technically wrong (even if totally unimportant), which is why people could get annoyed by it.

It's kind of like how you can show someone death metal and they're like "Oh, so you listen to screamo." Screamo and death metal are wildly different genres and metalheads get annoyed when people use that term to describe metal, but to the average person all screaming just sounds the same. Just because those people aren't aware of the differences doesn't make them any more correct.

It's the same with metalheads calling anything with nasally vocals emo. These vocals sound like post-hardcore, not emo. Now it may not be obvious, because the differences are subtle, but significant to some, just like with screaming. Again, on SSO calling them emo is fine because everyone here understands what you mean, but the vocal style is very different from true "emo," so it could be irritating for some to hear the term incorrectly thrown around so often. I believe that's why Jonathan20022 called it narrow minded.

I gotcha, brudda.

I don't get into the genre thing that much, occasionally I describe my band as prog metal and that's only to other metal heads because that genre defining stuff is completely lost on those not-in-the-know, ........even me!

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
That new song is pretty decent, but I really don't like the sassy singing style of the cleans. I don't really know how else to describe it, but I feel like there are points where he should be doing the Christina Aguilera finger wave thing.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
That new song is pretty decent, but I really don't like the sassy singing style of the cleans. I don't really know how else to describe it, but I feel like there are points where he should be doing the Christina Aguilera finger wave thing.

:lol:

I love these vocals, but I totally agree with this comparison.

Also, not to drag this .... out any more, but I think the same thing when I hear Spencer sing. Riffs+over the top poppy vocals=awesome in my book :lol:

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
New song for anyone who hasn't heard it, definitely my favourite of the three they've put out :yesway:

dat Jason Richardson guest solo

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The new song gave me ear fatigue less than 30 seconds into it. Good God. Outro is cool though.

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
The new song gave me ear fatigue less than 30 seconds into it. Good God. Outro is cool though.

From the production? Yeah it's kind of harsh

Song itself is like a CMC song + Vicious Circles, Kind of digging it but not so much the ultra tight punched in sound

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Stoked. I'm glad to finally hear the rest of the song from the teaser. I must say, it didn't disappoint.

nikolazjalic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
not sure if this was talked about before but I've tried searching everywhere and I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what they used for the keys/synths on Eclipse?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I'm kinda iffy on this new song. There's some cool stuff going on but some of the parts sound like they weren't thought through very well. The transitions at :29 and :50 were kinda weird and jagged feeling. I also feel like they could have made the song a lot longer and more spic with that clean vocal thing going on near the end. Feels like it ends way too soon just as that idea was getting going.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I'm kinda iffy on this new song. There's some cool stuff going on but some of the parts sound like they weren't thought through very well. The transitions at :29 and :50 were kinda weird and jagged feeling. I also feel like they could have made the song a lot longer and more spic with that clean vocal thing going on near the end. Feels like it ends way too soon just as that idea was getting going.

I can agree with you. Everything before Jason's solo doesn't sit great with me, it sounds very copy/pasted. The clean part was cool, I thought the vibe was really dark, and I thought that whole section worked out fine but it could have gone on longer. That's my one problem with VoM, a fair number of their songs seem to have no real attempt to properly build anything up to what it could be (see: Eclipse), at least in my opinion.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score