The USPS sucks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by craigny, May 25, 2013.

1. craigny

craigny Winning...duh

Need to rant here...I'm awaiting a set of pickups arriving by priority mail and it was on track to get here today and I see the update this morning after it leaving the sorting facility In my area that it was sent to the wrong post office and the status is now "missent". This is like the fifth time they have screwed up a shipment of mine. Packages showing up a week or more late. Sitting at a sort facility for days on end. I mean I have never seen an organization with their heads more up their ass. I apologize to any people here that may work for them and may take offense but I'm pissed at this point. No wonder they're so in the red. I understand shit happens but this is too many times for me. \rant

2. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

That's awful, man. Sorry to hear that. I've only had one bad experience with USPS. I shipped a pickup in a box, and when it arrived, the package was torn open and resealed, so obviously someone took it out of there. Never got the full story on it. Every other time, though, they've been fast, friendly, and have never damaged any of my packages. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon, man.

3. craigny

craigny Winning...duh

Yeah thanks man...I know ill get em bt its just that I had time and a plan to install them this weekend, now I wont get them till tues or wed and ill have no time to put them in thus delaying the whole process for like a week...like I said normally I wouldn't care but its like the 5th time they screwed me up. And it's always on a weekend, so its not even like i can get it next day, and this a holiday weekend so this won't even begin so sort itself out until Tuesday....just a frustrating inconvience

4. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Dude, I actually think it is the facility in your area. I used to do a lot of stuff on ebay, and for some reason when I would send stuff to Long Island, it would always take forever, and I would also get the little warnings saying that the item was missent. I NEVER have had any of those problems before, it seems like it only happens when I send something there.

5. craigny

craigny Winning...duh

Hummm u may be right. Now it's been listed as no updated delivery date for the last two days. Hopefully tomorrow they find the time to update the status.

6. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

Man oh man do I hate USPS, shipping with them to canada is a nightmare.

I paid for express delivery and it only took a solid 2 weeks to arrive, worst extra 30$ I've ever spent.

7. icos211

icos211 Schecter faithful

Last time I ordered something from Amazon, it was supposed to ship fedex. When it was A LONG TIME late, I decide to go look for it at fed ex. Go to the nearest store, they tell me they had it and sent it back to their DFW warehouse(which was a lie, as I would later find out). I give the warehouse a call, and they say they never received it at all. So I call the regional center in Oklahoma, who say they had it and sent it out. After all that, it turns out they gave it to USPS to deliver. First off, what the hell? I paid for Fed Ex to ship it, not for the useless ass post office to fumble it like a Tony Romo with a football all the way to the wrong address. I cannot grasp why they would hand it off when I paid for THEIR services.

So I go to the post office to look for it, as that is where I am told it is. After 30 minutes of waiting in line I come up to this sweet looking mid-60 Japanese woman.
    "Howdy," I say, "I'm supposed to have a package here for (insert my true name here)"
    "How you know?" she replies, not batting an eyelash.
    "Excuse me?" I ask, dumbfounded by this.
    "How you know? Who tell you? They're wrong, we don't have it."
    "I've been told by fed ex that they sent it here."
    "They lie to you. We don't have it"
    "There's not really anywhere else it can be. I've talked to everyone I can talk to, and no one else has it. The best answer I've gotten is that it was sent here."
    "How you know? I know you're wrong."
    "Have you looked?" I respond, admittedly disrespectfully, but I was pissed. I'm a short fused individual and I'm ashamed to admit how close I was to knocking this lady's block off.
    "I don't need to. It not here. Go home, why you even come?"
    "Can you please look?"
    "No. You go home. You get tomorrow."
    "I thought you said it wasn't here."
    "It not. Why you even come? It not here. Go home."
    "Can I speak to your manager?" I ask, at the end of my rope, the words struggling to come as I bite back my mounting rage.
    "No. Go home. I don't talk to you no more."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Bye bye."
    "I want to talk to your manager."
    "Bye bye."
    And with that she wouldn't even acknowledge me any longer. I was boiling with fury and I was about to put the phrase "going postal" to good use. I'm glad I didn't get to talk to her manager, because I could barely speak and would have looked like an ass.

So fast forward to a little while later, and what do I see looking out of my window? My friendly local mailwoman heaving my 30 lb package from the street to my front porch, and it hitting the ground with a sickening thud, and tumbling to a stop, scraping along the concrete. What a god damn fiasco. USPS sucks.

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Even worse now that FedEx and UPS have adopted their new cheaper "hand off to the USPS" service that so many appear to be using. Packages that always came from one state over would arrive the next day, but now with this crap service tag another 2-3 days onto that. Literally, one package I ordered got "delivered" to the post office only about 6 blocks away and sat there for 3 full days.

Rev.

9. K3V1N SHR3DZ

K3V1N SHR3DZ EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

I've only had good experiences with the USPS. Sure, they're a little slower now thanks to the stupid budget cuts.... but I prefer them over UPS or FedEx.

10. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Yep that shit is ridiculous and you can't even go pick it up from the post office.

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I've had shit experiences with all of the businesses. Fedex delivered my package god knows where and refused to do anything about it. They said they had a signature and that was enough to not be liable or something. Had to have the company send me another product, which was very nice of them. USPS had an estimated delivery date of whatever. The package arrived at the post office up the street from my home early that Friday morning, but didn't ship it to my house until Monday. (even though they deliver Saturdays, and even Friday's it should have shipped.) UPS is the one I've had the best luck with. I still can't get why they ship from Musician's friend the way they do. Every now and again, the package arrives in Warwick RI, which is typically the last stop before it goes out on the truck. Instead of my package shipping out that day (it misses the ship out time by an hour or two), it ships north, PAST my town, into Chelmsford mass, and then BACK to Warwick, where it THEN ships out to my house, a half hour away from the depot in Warwick. At the very least, I'm surprised it doesn't just hang out in Warwick until the following business day. I emailed them about it and they gave me a BS "complex web of shipping might not make sense, but it's how we function." Which makes more sense to me if it shipped from one depot to another that was logically "out of the way" before shipping to me. But to ship it to the final destination, then OUT of the final destination to a further away place, just to be shipped back to the depot it JUST left is mind numbingly stupid to me.

Anyway, I like USPS and tend to use them for smaller packages. Perhaps it helps that my father works for them and can bring the packages home with him, but I've never had any major issues with them before even if he's not involved. Sounds like your post office just sucks ten kinds of ass.

12. shawnt3

shawnt3 SS.org Regular

I have my MIDI foot pedal coming through USPS right now to Canada, and while I have not yet had a bad experience...the shipping updates blow more than a hooker on Yonge St. The site says its still in Los Angeles, and its been almost 2 weeks since I ordered it. I don't know if the shipping updates just don't update very quickly, or if its ACTUALLY still in LA. WTF

13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

That sucks.

All I have to say is I work with them a weekly basis and I can deff see them going out of business soon. They are fuxx ups. Period.

14. shawnt3

shawnt3 SS.org Regular

^ well theres insider proof that they suck too! That means they suck from an inside and outside standpoint. So much suckage.

15. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Heh...March was supposed to be the end of them....didn't happen.

16. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Every business has issues, and UPS and Fedex are no different.

But USPS can transport a physical item from Florida to Hawaii for $0.46.

/thread

(BTW, they are in the red because people won't let them raise stamp prices, and their shipping prices are always cheaper than Fedex/UPS. To get in the black with the prices they charge, they'll have to change practices, such as only delivering mail every other day, etc. They aren't inefficient or oafish- lots of private businesses have modeling their shipping networks after USPS practices (Fedex, too, admittedly). Shit happens, and has happened to me with all three of the big companies, but on the whole USPS has always been the most reliable for me. I just don't use them for large packages, like instruments.)

17. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Personally, I've had zero issues with the USPS. Shipped and received a ton of stuff through them, not one incident, or late package (not entirely true, I've had a couple things show up a day late).

BUT! My father-in-law worked for the USPS his entire life, and retired a handful of years ago. Knowing him, and hearing the stories of how that place is run, it surprises the hell out of me that they're still around.

What's strange is that my wife and I can place two completely different orders from similar places in the country, have them shipped with USPS and hers ALWAYS spends more time in transit.

This is a bit off subject:

I can suggest that if you're wanting to ship something big and/or heavy, see if Old Dominion Freight would work for you. I ordered 4 big ass tires for my truck from Dallas Texas at about 6pm on a Tuesday, by Thursday around noon they were at my house. Was cheaper than FedEx or UPS too. Total shipping weight was almost 300lbs, each tire was 35" tall by 13" wide, and they traveled ~600 miles. Cost $125.

Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.

18. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Old Dominion delivered both of my Snap-On tool chests for ridiculously cheap- they're a great suggestion.

19. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

This is no joke, I've had two small packages of moderately minor value get rerouted to that facility and they disappeared.
    Fortunately the company involved with my purchased helped me out with the problem greatly.

But OP, dont take it out on the whole USPS. I think a lot of people take for granted how hard these people work, my mother being one of them. You'd be surprised how little room for error there actually is.
    Ive had a lot of great stories about fast USPS priority shipping compared to bad stories.
    If it's a persistent issue, you need to contact the postmaster about it.