• Carvin

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

metalfoundry

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new in this forum.. :imnew:

Anyway I'm looking to buy the ultimate metal weapon and I have been reading the forum for quite a bit, I must say this place is great!

Let me know what you think about my choices, I dont have a limited budget, I don't want to go the cheap way, I'm ready to pay the price....

This would be a 7 string of course...

Edit: I prefer handmade guitars, if you have other suggestions let me know....

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
My suggestions:

Possible: Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Agile

Avoid: DeVries

Janiator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you don't care about price or waiting time and just want the best guitar, I'd go with Blackmachine. Now I have not played any of the guitar brands above (in a high quality 7-string that is) so I may not be the person to get help from. But from what I've seen, that would be my choice.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
What is ultimate is different for everyone. Obviously hand-built guitars by great luthiers will be the ultimate in quality and prestige, but there's nothing stopping you from preferring the feel and sound of an Ibanez if you're that way inclined.

8stringlover

Banned
Reaction score
Blackdroid, simply because I know the man and I have played several of his instruments :D

I'm actually going to his place today, huf, get ready :scream:

Marv Attaxx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Blackdroid. 'Cause patrick knows what he's doing, uses the best materials and they're goddamn sexy :yesway:
Never played a blackdroid, a blackmachine or a carvin though. The most high-end guitar I've ever played was a RG2027x (which was awesome) :hbang:

vontetzianos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not on your list, but Bernie Rico Jr.'s customs are fantastic instruments.

The prices seem extremely fair as well.

Blackdroids are also really awesome.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Hello :)

Decide on what specs you want, talk to the luthiers involved, gather information....what you decide might be the best metal guitar for you is likely to be wildly different from someone else.

I think if you narrowed the list to Mayones, Sherman, Carvin, Blackdroid, Ran, Blackmachine and Roter then you could get an idea of what each different luthier offers.

metalfoundry

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

I'm going to contact those luthiers :agreed:

I already received a friendly reply from blackDroid, 10mn after I have sent him a mail :eek:

I love both blackDroid and blackmachine to be perfectly honnest, will let you know what is going on as soon as I take a decision, thank you :)

Stay cool :hbang:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Own/owned all bar the Huf. Which is a pity...

Carvin 6s and 7s fucking win. I like my Ibby 7621 although never got on with their 6s. And obviously my I won't say bad things about either of my BMs but they definitely aren't for everyone...

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
Surprised no ones mentioned KxK's. look incredible though I've never played one :(

That said, even though I've never played blackdroids, they seem insanely nice, and Patrick is an awesome guy that works WITH his customers which is awesome.

Rotatous

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BlackDroid or Ran. Keep in mind, that with ran, you can get absolutely anything.

vampiregenocide

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well Customs obviously you have more choice available, but theres no 'ultimate', only what ticks the most boxes for you.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

I'm going to contact those luthiers :agreed:

I already received a friendly reply from blackDroid, 10mn after I have sent him a mail :eek:

I love both blackDroid and blackmachine to be perfectly honnest, will let you know what is going on as soon as I take a decision, thank you :)

Stay cool :hbang:

Don't even bother with Blackmachine, he's not accepting orders and if he was his backlist is 3+ years long.

I can say from experience that KxKs are fantastic guitars if you like their designs, and the prices are very reasonable compared to the competition (there are also some up used right now due to the economy etc etc).

Carvin also builds great guitars with fairly short build times.

I honestly wouldn't even bother with Ibanez these days as their quality compared to price isn't attractive (and I personally don't like basswood that much which is 90% of your options) :shrug:

I won't comment on Huf as I have never played one of his instruments, and don't want to talk out my ass.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't have a limited budget, Ibanez isn't even in the running to be honest.
Their custom shop isn't open to the public anymore anyway.
I've never played a Blackdroid, but everyone at SS.org can vouche for the fact that Patrick is an amazingly talented man, who always has time for us guys at SS.org for a laugh or to chat about guitars and I could only imagine he's great to deal with.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to vote for Ibanez only because I've played them and absolutely loved them. I've played Carvins but always found something lacking and they were way to thin and bright for me. As for Blackdroids and Black Machines I can't say as I've never played them and just seeing that Patrick is an extremely active and nice guy on here is no real way to give an indication of his guitars. Just saying - if you've not played them don't vote for them. Btw don't mistake that as a jab at Patrick which it's not. I'm just saying you gotta suggest guitar based on how they feel, sound and look and on a forum you can only get looks. So if someone was suggesting a guitar brand having only seen pics on a forum I'd personally take their opinion with a grain of salt.:2c:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to vote for Ibanez only because I've played them and absolutely loved them. I've played Carvins but always found something lacking and they were way to thin and bright for me. As for Blackdroids and Black Machines I can't say as I've never played them and just seeing that Patrick is an extremely active and nice guy on here is no real way to give an indication of his guitars. Just saying - if you've not played them don't vote for them. Btw don't mistake that as a jab at Patrick which it's not. I'm just saying you gotta suggest guitar based on how they feel, sound and look and on a forum you can only get looks. So if someone was suggesting a guitar brand having only seen pics on a forum I'd personally take their opinion with a grain of salt.:2c:

Very well said. :yesway:

LordCoven

Reaction score
I've got a Blackmachine 8 and a BlackDroïd HufCaster 8 - for Metal, I'd take the BlackDroïd *any* day ;)
(That's not to say the Blackmachine's not badass - but the IMHO the BlackDroïd is simply better for Metal \m/ \m/ ;)).
(Oh, and I've also got an Ibanez K-7 and RG1527, and they're both great guitars - but no where near as good as either the Blackmachine or the Blackdroïd ... so if money isn't an issue, then I'd say *definitely* go with the custom hand-built option - e.g. BlackDroïd - you certainly won't regret it :D).
Cheers,
C