The Twitter fued we didn't know we needed....

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The average age on this forum is too high for me to be an old man though. I grew up with Beast Wars, not the original Transformers.
G1 all the way, dangnammit!!! Okay, now I'm gonna have to check out this Falling in Reverse band to see how much of their sound is reliant on computers. I mean, I get an Aphex Twin show falling through over this, but it seems weird for a rock band. But then, I am one of those dreaded Gen X'ers. And as that young and wily up-and-comer Will Smith likes to say, Gen X just don't understand.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
G1 all the way, dangnammit!!! Okay, now I'm gonna have to check out this Falling in Reverse band to see how much of their sound is reliant on computers. I mean, I get an Aphex Twin show falling through over this, but it seems weird for a rock band. But then, I am one of those dreaded Gen X'ers. And as that young and wily up-and-comer Will Smith likes to say, Gen X just don't understand.
I grew up on G1, but see Beast Wars and Beast Machines as so intimately tied with G1 that it's now tough for me to separate them, even though I didn't see Beast Wars until it was off the air for a hundred thousand years or so. I vaguely recall flipping channels and seeing Black Arachnia for a brief moment once, going, "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" then not coming back to it until I bought the box set years later.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is just the first song that came up on YouTube. Without whatever was on their laptops I'm guessing at least half of this song would have just been him singing/rapping/talking and nothing else.

ArtDecade

Tartuffe
Reaction score
This is just the first song that came up on YouTube. Without whatever was on their laptops I'm guessing at least half of this song would have just been him singing/rapping/talking and nothing else.

He should have done an 8 mile rap-off with fans.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
G1 all the way, dangnammit!!!
That's right, Gen Y took your beloved Transformers and made them FURRIES

...and we prefer them that way
laughing-hank-hill.gif

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score

this is just a violent britney spears song video with dudes rehashing linkin park type pop but linkin park was better. should be called shitting in reverse.

Last edited:

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Skimming... 2 things

1. I saw Devin Townsend perform with a screwed up backing track. Drummer apparently wasn't getting the samples in his IEMs. Their solution was to play a click track, loud as *&$# so the drummer could hear it on stage, through the main PA. I would rather they just dropped the samples and synths. I didn't know his catalog. I can say I probably got permanent hearing damage watching one of his songs before walking out.

2. When I finally saw Born of Osiris live, I was extremely pissed off that pretty much the entire mix was prerecorded and the sound guy forgot to turn up the guitars loud enough to hear any of the real time guitar playing.

My point here, bands need to learn how to play a few tracks or just jam without click tracks or backing tracks. I'm a huge fan of many layers of music, but if you strip it down to a 4-5 piece band on stage having fun, I'm still happy to be there. If you do shit like kill my hearing, have me listen to the studio tracks, or just not show up, I will hold it against you for the rest of your career.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I would rather they just dropped the samples and synths.
I know exactly what show you mean, I saw a recording of it and I always wondered why they didn't just do the show without the samples. Heck, he does solo acoustic shows of his material and people love it. That stupid click track through the PA sounded abysmal even on the recording, can't even imagine how crap that must've been live.
In a recent tour he decided to go completely without samples and click track, using only live musicians. Crazy that in 2019 that was considered an artistic statement, but that's the world we live in I guess.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Bach, in one of the tweets, said something like, "Name a time and a place, and I'll show you what rock and roll is!" or something like that. I think it would be really funny for the FIR guy to name a time and place, like maybe a Starbucks, and have Bach come and explain what Rock and Roll is. I know it was rhetorical, but how would you actually do that? :lol:

Also, I initially thought that maybe the FIR guys themselves weren't the ones that made the call on this. But, after the way the one guy threw the crew under the bus, I suspect if their label or whatever told them to cancel, he would have pinned the blame on them, as well.

And, if Bach REALLY wants to punk them, he should record a couple of FIR tunes with a few guys just plugged directly into amps. Everyone is saying it could be done, and presumably FIR is saying it couldn't. So it would be cool to see someone actually do it.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bah, for some reasons I never liked to play live nor go to see bands
I must say that I prefer the art and make the sausages than sell the sausages
It doesn't help that I don't like people with loads of people, I'm not agoraphobic, it's just not my dimension, as I like more intimate contact with people
I'm the kind of guy that doesn't give lessons because I don't have a decree, a paper that justifies me asking money to someone

But I had my gigs in my youth, and I played lead guitar and sing, and with lead guitar I meant not only solos, but the more intricate rhythm parts, and I'm not a talented or educated singer by any means...so it required loads of work and sweat, even for school gigs

So I'm mindblown that nowadays, people that are considered pro are ape crap and I wonder how they got there

So yeah, todays music ring makes me flabbergasted in the wrong way

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
As much as I want to side with Sebastian on this, I can't because he's been a massive tool ever since someone handed him a mic in the 80s

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
this is just a violent britney spears song video with dudes rehashing linkin park type pop but linkin park was better. should be called shitting in reverse.

Oh totally. I'm not trying to defend their music or their lack of preparedness, just pointing out the solution might not have been as simple as "just actually play the songs live" 🤣

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's no defense, they should have had backups in place. This whole "yeah, you do a big production but you should just do a shitty version of it when you're shit isn't working right because otherwise you're not a rEaL MUsIcIAn" thing is so silly.
The thing is that this is show business, and as I’m sure you’ve heard, the show must go on. What does that mean? It means that you have to have contingencies for when things go wrong.

Sure, backups are one contingency - they should have had hard drives on each member’s person, plus cloud backups for extra redundancy. But there are other things that can go wrong, too. What if a member can’t perform? Can the singer double on guitar/bass/keys well enough to cover? What about your techs? Can the guitar tech fill in on bass or guitar if necessary? The drum tech fill in on drums? Can you change the set list to make it work? Etc.

Keep in mind that this isn’t a band made up of high school friends having fun at school talent show or something, they’re supposed to be professional entertainers. That means that people have paid to see the show and if a band cancels, it affects their career negatively, even if they refund the money people paid, because those people are still out their time and travel expenses.

So in the professional world, the show must go on and the performers need to be ready with various backup plans to make sure that that happens.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What if a member can’t perform? Can the singer double on guitar/bass/keys well enough to cover? What about your techs? Can the guitar tech fill in on bass or guitar if necessary? The drum tech fill in on drums? Can you change the set list to make it work? Etc.

Keep in mind that this isn’t a band made up of high school friends having fun at school talent show or something, they’re supposed to be professional entertainers. That means that people have paid to see the show and if a band cancels, it affects their career negatively, even if they refund the money people paid, because those people are still out their time and travel expenses.

So in the professional world, the show must go on and the performers need to be ready with various backup plans to make sure that that happens.
Going out and putting on a shitshow is not better than canceling. I would 100% rather not see a show than show up and have the fucking tour manager filling in on vocals, or the vocalist trying to play an instrument they're not used to having on-stage. This type of band (and most original acts) aren't Phish, or Dead & Co. where you can sub out a main guy when he has a cold and pretend it's a feature of the show. A lot of people are their for the personalities, or to hear their favorite songs. It's not a Broadway show where there's an understudy for each character, or a blues jam where you can kinda suck and still get by. And nothing personal, but as far as I know, you have as much experience performing for $10k+ guarantees as I do, so why would you know any more about this than anyone else in the thread? Could you image going to see Ozzy and some rando comes out on stage and introduces himself as the guitar tech, but he's filling in for Ozzy because he's sick? That would be sooooo much worse than just calling the show.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking at that do you laugh, do you cry?....or do you pretend it is photoshopped so you still have enough faith in humanity to continue on with your day in a fully functional manner?

Bro, I live in Florida, I can’t pretend real life is photoshopped every time I go to the beach or a bar by the beach.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The thing is that this is show business, and as I’m sure you’ve heard, the show must go on. What does that mean? It means that you have to have contingencies for when things go wrong.

Sure, backups are one contingency - they should have had hard drives on each member’s person, plus cloud backups for extra redundancy. But there are other things that can go wrong, too. What if a member can’t perform? Can the singer double on guitar/bass/keys well enough to cover? What about your techs? Can the guitar tech fill in on bass or guitar if necessary? The drum tech fill in on drums? Can you change the set list to make it work? Etc.

Part of this is the crossover of "band" and "dj" to the point where the "show" is more "dj" than "band."
Going out and putting on a shitshow is not better than canceling. I would 100% rather not see a show than show up and have the fucking tour manager filling in on vocals, or the vocalist trying to play an instrument they're not used to having on-stage. This type of band (and most original acts) aren't Phish, or Dead & Co. where you can sub out a main guy when he has a cold and pretend it's a feature of the show. A lot of people are their for the personalities, or to hear their favorite songs. It's not a Broadway show where there's an understudy for each character, or a blues jam where you can kinda suck and still get by. And nothing personal, but as far as I know, you have as much experience performing for $10k+ guarantees as I do, so why would you know any more about this than anyone else in the thread? Could you image going to see Ozzy and some rando comes out on stage and introduces himself as the guitar tech, but he's filling in for Ozzy because he's sick? That would be sooooo much worse than just calling the show.
Really? That last point? Really?

Fucking Metallica, in the nineties, so well into their prime, had a tech fill in on guitar for James. Never heard anybody disappointed by it. Fucking Metallica. James fuckin' Hetfield--arguably, his right hand is the star of the show--had a tech fill in.

Maybe you're feeling like you're stretchin' your britches with this argument, but I think ya missed the mark, bud.