The Twitter fued we didn't know we needed....

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Jus
I hate metal boomers like Trunk but Ronnie is like a waaaaaaay more massive shithead, so drag the motherfucker.
Just curious why….the hate for metal boomers in general or Trunk specifically?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Jus

Just curious why….the hate for metal boomers in general or Trunk specifically?
I can’t answer for him, but for me it’s because THEY tend to go off about stuff all the time. There was a thread on FB about FIR, and one guy kept criticizing them. I could see his points until he dropped a “your generation relies on technology and has no talent” on the guy he was arguing with. I’m just tired of the whole, “new music sucks, only the old music had talented guys. I’m a tough guy because I listen to Crue and have tattoos. If it’s too loud you’re too old. Only losers wear ear protection, play more than six strings…”

noob_pwn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think that’s kind of missing the point; his walk-out music was a backing track, not his entire set and once the band starts, there’s no more backing track. And Queen using a sample of a choir section in one song is hardly a comparison to a band needing to cancel an entire gig because they’ve got their entire set on backing tracks.

I saw these turds at Rockville, I was curious then how much was on tracks because I could definitely tell all the vocals that required hitting pitches was on tracks, the only thing I could tell was live was the rapping and the drums. After this situation, I really wonder if the guitarists were even playing.

I saw Fit For A King a couple years ago and both the guitars and bass were on tracks…..lamest fucking shit I’ve seen yet.
Some bands are good, some bands suck. Using tracks isn't the problem. Pink floyd did it on the wall tour in 1980, to a click, and nobody questioned David Gilmour's ability to play guitar. A lot of the use of laptops is because bands have ever shrinking budgets. They are expected to have a light show, but can't afford an operator so they need to program it. You need a click track and laptop for that. They are expected to fly equipment around the world but the airlines are ramming everyone on baggage. VST's don't cost hundreds of dollars to check onto a flight. They need to change tunings but can't afford a tech or to travel multiple guitars, a laptop could automate pitch shifters on a digital guitar rig. They have orchestral parts but can't afford to tour an orchestra.. you get the picture.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don’t know the first thing about FIR (never heard of them until this week), but this kind of reminds me of an interview I read where a recording engineer was talking about recording with The Edge from U2. They wanted to record his parts dry, and add the delays afterward. But the way he plays, he said he couldn’t play the parts well dry, because it lost lost that rhythmic feel of the layers of delay that make his sound. And he would have 2 or three delays going, and dialed in to the click to keep it as part of the rhythm. So if he had to do an entire show without delay, and work it out in 24 hours, that might not be doable. Or if a band like Meshuggah had to do their set on acoustic guitars, that might not be doable, because it would just be such a foreign thing to try to do. It’s true just about anyone can adapt a song to an acoustic set, but I’m not sure any band could easily adapt an entire show to an acoustic set in 24 hours - and pull it off well.

The one thing I CAN’T wrap my head around is why no backups (that just seems sooooo crazy to me) and why go on record saying it’s your crew’s fault. Those seem like dumb and asshole moves.

(I’m quite sure I’m dedicating way more thinking about this than I should, so there’s that, too. I’m just trying to figure out what the decision making process was to cancel the show.)

(Lastly, I have a very low bar for cool band names. And I just can’t find anything redeeming about Falling In Reverse. I’m not sure why, but it just sounds like trying too hard.)

Last edited:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
How complicated would a laptop setup be? I presume it’s a single DAW project with the night’s set in a row. The drummer presses play and everyone gets a count-in through in ears, midi changes happen throughout the song and then you press stop at the end. Some complicated routing to send the sound to the mixing desk and then back to in-ears but surely you could just download the project off cloud storage.

I understand intros, outro’s, synth etc would need a lot of time to download and position in the timeline so for some bands it wouldn’t be ideal like Sabaton or Wintersun.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some bands are good, some bands suck. Using tracks isn't the problem. Pink floyd did it on the wall tour in 1980, to a click, and nobody questioned David Gilmour's ability to play guitar. A lot of the use of laptops is because bands have ever shrinking budgets. They are expected to have a light show, but can't afford an operator so they need to program it. You need a click track and laptop for that. They are expected to fly equipment around the world but the airlines are ramming everyone on baggage. VST's don't cost hundreds of dollars to check onto a flight. They need to change tunings but can't afford a tech or to travel multiple guitars, a laptop could automate pitch shifters on a digital guitar rig. They have orchestral parts but can't afford to tour an orchestra.. you get the picture.

Thank you for explaining things I’ve known about and have used in my own bands for 20+ years now. :lol:

You’re comparing a MASSIVE stage show where they literally built a giant fucking wall and separated all the 10-15 musicians onstage hundreds of feet apart or behind/in front of the wall. Probably not too easy for Gilmour to see what was going on below him when he’s hoisted 150 feet in the air on top of the wall.

That’s not even in the same category as 5 guys standing 15 feet from each other not being able to play their show because they don’t have a laptop. If you took away the stage production, Floyd could still play their songs without assistance.

And going further in the Floyd comparison, both the ‘88 and ‘94 tours only relied on visual cues from the videos to come in and since the band would improvise most of the solo sections, the video/lighting guys couldn’t just push a button and let it play, they were performing with the band in real time.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only mistake Radke made was explicitly stating they were cancelling a show over a missing laptop, that just sounds weak AF. Also, back that shit up. There's no way you couldn't clone your entire stage show onto an external drive or even the cloud.

Boomers/Gen X are gonna pick things to go off about "back in my day" yeah, but the target was probably less the backing tracks and more the "I can't perform because I don't have a laptop" sounds so defeated limp dick zoomer.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The one thing I CAN’T wrap my head around is why no backups (that just seems sooooo crazy to me) and why go on record saying it’s your crew’s fault. Those seem like dumb and asshole moves.
Thank you. I was trying to figure out what anybody associated with this mess had accomplished with any of this and you finally pointed it out.

Falling in Reverse made sure their crew are always, always, ALWAYS trying EXTRA hard to please them by publicly calling them at fault for them not being able to play a set like a band. Yeah, good job guys.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't understand why any generation (especially in the last 5+ years) has amped up the current generation vs the last battles... Zoomers vs Gen x vs boomers etc

It's been exactly the same since forever and it always will be.

6voyck.jpg

ArtDecade

Tartuffe
Reaction score
I don't understand why any generation (especially in the last 5+ years) has amped up the current generation vs the last battles... Zoomers vs Gen x vs boomers etc

It's been exactly the same since forever and it always will be.

View attachment 115324

Gen X here. To be fair, we are totally the forgotten generation. And we want it to stay that way.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
We're the unsung hero generation, bridging the gap between boomers and Gen Y and Z.

We're basically saints.
Your generation is full of sad sacks and underachievers and you both should be ashamed.

I on the other hand, a millennial, have NOTHING to be ashamed about.

Man that was hard to even type without smirking. God.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The issue isn’t using backing tracks to augment your set, it’s being so reliant on them that you can’t play your set without them.

Seconding this.

Not to pull a "back in my day" but when I was still gigging (that includes bands with backing tracks), you always had a plan B, C, D etc if equipment went out, a member couldn't make it, etc. Cancelling the show was the last, last, last possible option.

I remember playing a gig years back and the guitarist for the headliner broke his hand the night before, so they recruited someone from an opener to play the songs the crowd wanted to hear the most (the two of three singles) and the rest of the set was like a cover jam with members of the rest of the bands. It was actually a great show and a unique experience for the audience, I don't think anyone was disappointed.

Folding because the laptop is missing/broken is just... not good. Revamp the set to include stuff you don't need the backup tracks for and cut it short if you have to. Call your engineer and get him to dump some stems of your important stuff without the vox, bass, drums on them and play to that. You can probably MacGuyver some of that together with finished tracks if you really had to. Something.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You guys must be talking about some different genx. We're founded in, built on, raised to believe in, and live on shame. We were being told by our parents that we upset their grand vision for the world since the day we were born, and told by the next generation that we were lazy fuckfaces for existing since they've popped into the world. And we believe them because it's true.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Seconding this.

Not to pull a "back in my day" but when I was still gigging (that includes bands with backing tracks), you always had a plan B, C, D etc if equipment went out, a member couldn't make it, etc. Cancelling the show was the last, last, last possible option.

I remember playing a gig years back and the guitarist for the headliner broke his hand the night before, so they recruited someone from an opener to play the songs the crowd wanted to hear the most (the two of three singles) and the rest of the set was like a cover jam with members of the rest of the bands. It was actually a great show and a unique experience for the audience, I don't think anyone was disappointed.

Folding because the laptop is missing/broken is just... not good. Revamp the set to include stuff you don't need the backup tracks for and cut it short if you have to. Call your engineer and get him to dump some stems of your important stuff without the vox, bass, drums on them and play to that. You can probably MacGuyver some of that together with finished tracks if you really had to. Something.
it just seems like if you rely on backing tracks to that extent you're an 'act' rather than musicians