The Twitter fued we didn't know we needed....

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Backing tracks are fine for leading up to a show or a song, but I always feel like if they don't really do it when they launch into a song, it probably isn't real.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Same thing happened with Periphery when they were touring with Dream Theater. Their computers failed or something and they lost all their backing tracks and automated MIDI patch changes. It was a massive trainwreck to the point Petrucci approached the band and literally said: "You guys better fix this shit".

I sure as hell would fix my shit if Petrucci menaced me to :lol:

ArtDecade

Tartuffe
Reaction score
Same thing happened with Periphery when they were touring with Dream Theater. Their computers failed or something and they lost all their backing tracks and automated MIDI patch changes. It was a massive trainwreck to the point Petrucci approached the band and literally said: "You guys better fix this shit".

Little did Petrucci know, that the tracks and MIDI had already been fixed. The sound he was hearing was just Periphery sounding like Periphery.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you'd think that if this is their profession and its critical to their livelihood, this contingency would be planned for.
I've known the odd multimillion dollar corporation that failed backup and contingency because, "We never used that shit before" when the bean-counters get the year-end statement on backup. They never notice until they need it, but then it's too late to rubberstamp the months out of date solution.

Stupid? Absolutely. But if there's one thing us humans excel at, it's out-stupiding ourselves.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Yeah no sorry guys I can't play the show, my guitar string broke. Yeah, the high B string. Need that string for at least two of our songs. Nah even if I had a spare, I don't have the allen wrench I need to undo the thing. Call the label, they either need to send me a new guitar or the tour is cancelled.

Netherhound

Had enough of it
Reaction score
If a band wants to use backing tracks, that's their prerogative. Tons of artist do.

It's entirely a another thing to cancel the performance outright. Own up to what happened to the live audience, say the set is going to be more "raw" or whatever dumb buzzword and do the gig with whatever backline that would be available. Hell, make an adjustment to the setlist if needed.

As a performer, your fans are there to see you do that...perform. This isn't enough of a reason to cancel their gig and they know it. Any experienced gigging musician would know this. The show must go on.

Last edited:

SexHaver420

I'm a big dumb bitch.
Reaction score
Backing tracks don't matter as long as the riffs are dank. Skid Row has way better riffs than Falling In Reverse therefore Sebastian Bach is right this time. This thread made me remember how rad the first two Skid Row albums are so I'm gonna go listen to them now :)

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SBQmr2xfES070qxN-vrD6PoulMCAJaHv32IaWyIQq3k.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual story here? I don’t know that they’d ever tell us what they use the laptops for, but it could be interesting to hear. They lost money not playing the show, so I’m curious what the rational was. Can they play and sing all of the music live? Was it an iem/click/lights/etc issue? It just seems too weird that they’d cancel if they could play it live anyway.