The Tube Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DrakkarTyrannis, May 13, 2009.

1. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

If you want "JJ but less dark" you have two great options:

1. JJ E83CC - this is a frame grid design and it's a bit more open and less muffled than the ECC83S all while simultaneously being quieter.
    2. JJ ECC83MG - this is a slightly longer plate design, and it's a bit less compressed and is a bit more articulate. It kind of sounds like an old Amperex to me...

2. oneblackened

So I finally had some time to dig out my pair of Sylvania 6CA7s and try them out.

And, uh, yeah. Love these. It's like a 6L6 but fatter in the mids. Real nice. I think I'll buy a quad of the JJs and see if they're as good...

c7spheres likes this.
  3. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

I had friends bring me over all there old tubes, got a lot of USA 5751's a slew of the late 80's early 90's chinese square getters...to add to my collection . also jot a lot of JJ's and Sovtek's and a another slew of marshall labeled 12ax7's...all tested strong ! Bunches of 6L6's and Mesa EL84's some are blow, haven't tested those yet

Never thought i would start to fill the bottom of that box !......i hate plain white boxes so i reused and bought some labeled boxes...gotta make labels with my P-Touch

Mike

20200404_132430.jpg

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Mourguitars likes this.
  5. Mourguitars

Yea i do ! I pay it forward alot...it all comes back, i have a bunch of Blackburn Mullards and Bugle boys coming my way as well...Sad story tho, ill leave it at that but ill cherish them tho !

c7spheres likes this.
  6. oneblackened

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/electro-harmonix-7025-eh-preamp-vacuum-tube

EHX has a new tube out. Looks to be their take on the frame grid 12AX7 thing that JJ started with the E83CC. Initial reports are that it's extremely quiet, albeit relatively low gain for a 12AX7 (i.e. spec mu of 100, actual tubes in the mid-80s) - which might explain the noise performance as lower gain = lower noise.

@Mourguitars has a couple, as he showed me on TGP. ;)

7. Mourguitars

Yea...ill try them out this weekend and report back

Mike

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Dunno if you figured this out already, but researching the preamp (I'm hunting for one) the layout goes like this:

- Channel 1: V1
    - Channel 2: V2 & V3
    - Channel 3: V3 & V4.

So you could probably toss a 5751 in V4 since the lead channel seems to have a fuckton of gain.

9. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Does anyone know if you can pull the preamp tubes from an amp head and use only the power section with an external preamp? I don't NEED to do this... I'm just curious more than anything else.

10. Mourguitars

They sound very good , very quite as described....i did loose a little gain, but was very nice cranking the gain full and being dead quite , but i boost my amps anyway

The Tube pins are lite wire...like most NP tubes but that is what it is...but its a nice tube , its def worth having a few around...its worth the $

Mike

11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

And why don't just using the power section without pulling out the tubes? Is as simple as pluging straight into the "FX return" jack. That's exactly how I run my combo amps.

12. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Yes thanks, I already know how to run into the power section and do so already, I am just curious. Plus it would free up some preamp valves to mess around swapping or for spares.

13. Mourguitars

Been kinda on a tube buying binge , got most of them in and bought a assortment. All test very strong and a few sellers thru in a few extras in the deal...gotta love that !

Mike

20200521_115818.jpg

House branded I61 and I63 Mullards

20200521_115808.jpg

Amperex dimpled disk getters...

20200521_115849.jpg

RCA 7025s

20200521_115843.jpg

RFT and RWN ...guy sent a extra because 2 were unlabeled...took 2 weeks from Europe to get

20200521_115832.jpg

Amperex Holland and Canadian made mix....1st package got lost at customs, so he sent out another with 4 xtra tubes for the hassle and quite nice of him !...they do the start up flash...he also sent 2 Japanese baldwins, i have 8 Japan/Mullards tooling coming..it also had a 10M tube in the lot

20200521_122754.jpg

20200521_122821.jpg

Shield Brand 12AX7...cant find any info on this brand, it tests super strong..i kinda like the look of the box, has a date code and what is left of a rectangular box logo where the 12AX7 was labeled.....any guesses on Manufacture....

Mike

DudeManBrother and c7spheres like this.
  14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I don't know much about old tubes but I hear you can find out who actually makes the tube by the little numbers or symbols molded into the glass on the bottom in the middle between the pins.

15. Mourguitars

That Shield labeled 12ax7 is a 1964 Tungsol

Mike

16. Mourguitars

17. bluesmetalguy

bluesmetalguy SS.org Regular

I just bought my first tube amp. I've played on and off for many years but only had solid state amps. I'm transitioning from playing metal to blues but still want to thrash out some metal riffs occasionally. My new amp (Laney cub 15w head and 2x12 cab gets nice blues tones but is completely incapable of anything close to a good metal sound (even with pedals). So I'm wondering if it's worth trying different tubes or if I should just buy another head for metal. I've heard the orange micro terror dark is good for metal.

18. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Tubes can help fine tune an amps character, or fix an issue; but won’t turn a low gain amp into a high gain amp. Rock the Laney on the blues nights, and grab a high gain head for the other nights.

USMarine75 likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

What's a good KT88/6550 brand? I'm thinking about swapping the 6L6s in my Revv because I have more than enough 6L6 amps.

20. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I put Genalex KT77 in my Victory RK50C and wow. Worth it. The low end of 6L6, the early breakup of EL34 (but not as early), and touch sensitive. The amp is a single channel amp you control with your guitar volume knob. With the KT77 you get amazing cleans with the amp dimed but guitar rolled back, and then full on you get a cranked Marshall (minus the 412 blast of air)... although the oversized 112 cab pushes a lot of air at 50w. I cant recommend those enough.

I just got Genalex matched 12AX7's in the mail but haven't bothered to install them now that the stock tone is so good.

How does this not have more likes??? :agreed:

Mourguitars likes this.