The String Source

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chris Bowsman, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Anybody else like these?

My Falbo Alpha 8 had the Amethyst set when i got it (9,12,15,24,32,44,58,80), with a 90 swapped for the F#. Been trying a few different F#s, and just put a String Source Diamond set (9.5,13,16,24,34,46,62,90) with an 85 swapped in. Really enjoy the slight extra tension and they mate up with the 25.5-27.5" scale very well.

I'm really curious as to who is making their strings. There's a few companies that I'm sure they're not, but with the way they settle into tune so quickly, feel a little tighter than some others, and last a good amount of time, they remind me a lot of SIT.

Even if I found out they are SIT (or whatever brand), I'd continue to pay the slight premium for easy access to really well thought out sets of oddball gauges. Gary, their social media guy, always replies to questions very quickly, and was super helpful putting together a custom order for me.

2. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Just came across them as well I wonder why on earth the 'big ones' are unable to provide proper sets for drop tunings (ie with an extra fat lowest string)?

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  3. Chris Bowsman

Just got another shipment from them. A day after ordering, I messaged Eric with some questions, and mentioned that I'd love to see an 8 string set with 85 as a standard option. He said, "No problem," and the sets I received today both have 85s swapped in.

I've said this in a few other places, but it's awesome that Eric and the others at String Source care as much about how my guitar plays and sounds as I do. Got a couple packs of their delrin Flow style picks (.73 and .88), too.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, Eric and the fellas a good guys. I haven't brought a proper set from them yet, but that's where I'll be going. I think it would be cool if they started doing really thick strings, since Kalium is often MIA on orders. I have a bunch of older packs I've been working through, but it's the thick strings I need mostly.

5. Chris Bowsman

I bought a bunch of single 85s and 90s, but haven’t looking into anything thicker.

Your low C# is a 100, right? Know they go at least that thick.

If they ever get into bass strings, I’ll be snagging a few sets.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

yeah, it’s a 100. I’d like stuff up in the bass territory though. I have a 10 string that needs a fatty string, and I don’t want to use a bass string because they’re too long, and they have that thick core.

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  7. Chris Bowsman

Wow... are there photos and details about the 10 up?