The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

sorry to hear about the top buddy, i really hoped they look at least half like the one's on the website

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

It's not a bad top but considering how good of tops other companies can source for guitars that cost less than 2k$ there's really no excuse. Especially since they're charging 200$ extra for the quilted top and ebony fretboard.
    I'm not entirely happy with the top but the guitar itself is excellent.
    here's the NGD thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4677590#post4677590

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Really they should just start using veneer tops like practically everything that's built in Korea, so people stop comparing.

4. KnightBrolaire

I'd be totally fine with a maple cap with a good quilted or flamed veneer like PRS does. the mark holcomb se models I've seen have better tops than a lot of the OS LEs I've seen floating around.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

My first strandberg, number 6, was far from perfect, but my second, 55, was much better.

Wouldn't judge based on an old one, but saying that, the newer M2M's definitely have more of a handmade feel than like a PRS or something. It's good though, no flaws to speak of.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That is a lot like the LE I had. In some pictures that looks like it barely counts as a quilt top and the way they do the finish is not that good for bringing out the figure either.

I'd rather see them going with something else as the ash backs on these look much nicer with that color.

7. KnightBrolaire

yeah it's a pretty half assed quilt compared to the stuff I can buy around here. I bought a piece of quilted maple for 90$ and got about 4 tops worth of wood (I'd get even more if I was doing a 6 mm top vs a 13 mm).
    This is a 19 mm top.
    [​IMG]

8. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

I felt the same way when I found out they were going back to knife-edges. Even Ola mentioned himself that the needle bearings are almost impossible to wear out. To me the current amount of flutter available on the trem is enough. And I think as cool as the multiple stiffness settings are, most players probably get used to the standard feel or find a single setting and stick to it. I own a Suhr with a Gotoh trem, which is really high quality, but the strandberg one just feels so much smoother and more robust. Trem operation feels very linear too.

I do hope they still provide parts support for the needle trems for existing users. With knife edges though, range could increase, which is a good thing.

9. KnightBrolaire

well the GAS has struck- found this one for a great price and I couldn't resist. Guess I'm going to be poor for a while lol.
    [​IMG]
    going to strip the emgs and throw in the deathbar/xbar combo.

10. DandHcostoms

DandHcostoms SS.org Regular

Does anyone know if I can get an Os with out it being fanned fret? I've tried a couple small fans and its not my thing I want just a 25.5" scale 20" radius, from looking on ola website its seems like id have to have one custom made.

11. KnightBrolaire

The singularity models come as regular scales. Also quite a bit cheaper than an OS.

12. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Seems like most of guitars are out of stock on the European website...Is something cooking for 2017? related to the online survey about new OS and Custom shop wishes??That would be nice... Something is telling me I need a 4th Boden in my life LOL

13. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

well i assumed that was why they have a sale on a bunch of in stock stuff. clearing old inventory to make room for new models

14. DandHcostoms

DandHcostoms SS.org Regular

bahhh but only red swirl..... i may have to just suck it up and try the fanned fret again or just order a custom

15. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Did you already see Ola's Fishman Fluence install videos on his FB page?

Maybe a hint for a new pickup option?
    At least if he finally figures out where to put the battery :wallbash: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like Ola and the guitars he builts, but thats exactly the impression I got from him when I ordered an OS7 last year and had to return it.

Does an hour long video on installing a set of Fluence Modern pickups on his own OS7L, just to find out at the very end that there is no space on the Lace-equipped model for either the battery pack or a 9V battery :scratch::rolleyes:

Very entertaining! A must see!

16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

For the record, the Boden body is hollow-enough to allow room for a ton of components - It's just optimal placement and routing for a battery cover that Ola, being the guitar's designer, won't commit to until after serious contemplation. I agree, though, that that video and the one where he can't get the knife-edge out of the new production-trem contain some funny "outtakes."

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

No it isn't. The OS line, like most modern Bodens are routed with a series of hollow channels, not large "swimming pool" routes by any means. It's not as simple as opening a whole in the back somewhere, or stuffing more into the control cavity.

18. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

Is there a photo of these routs somewhere?

19. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the Strandberg Facebook page.

20. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

News from the Strandberg newsletter

NAMM Preview 2017

We're in heads down preparation mode for the Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA, which is coming up on January 19-22, 2017. Some of the things you should be looking out for are:

- in booth appearances/demonstrations by Plini, Per Nilsson, Paul Masvidal, Yvette Young, Sarah Longfield, Beyond Creation, Gustavo Assis-Brasil, Adam Rafowitz and many more!
    - production Varberg guitars: 6-string fixed bridge, tremolo bridge
    and 7-string options
    - new and updated artist signature models
    - 7-string tremolo models
    - our brand new "Classic" line: affordable solidbody models with serious power!
    - neckthrough Custom Shop options
    - and much more!
    We are also proud to be a sponsor of http://www.gruvgear.com/gruvlive/ which will also feature live .strandberg* appearances and giveaways