The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Can’t say I disagree tbh, I think it’s telling that - and I don’t mean this to sound like a dick - I could have pretty much anything these days and I own zero Strandbergs.

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Same here :shrug: If you're one of the guys that loves them that's cool, but they were not a must-have for me.

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

What do you have then, eh? eh??

I mean, I only have thorough experience with M2Ms, and sort of agree if you think of things like "Is this guitar $5-6k quality?", then they can be a letdown. And I also liked the specs on yours. But in that range most of the builders will totally kill it in terms of craftsmanship. But I don't think that mentality is something scales up the price points.

I think of it more about wages. So in the logic I hear so often on this forum, "Is this $20k acoustic 4x as good as a $5k martin? No", but the builder of the $20k acoustic might make 8 guitars a year, and live in California. For that guy to earn something above minimum wage, he's going to be charging +$10k per build minimum. I think the M2M Boden shop is not so different -- they were pretty slow and you have to pay a Swedish living wage. At the end of the day, clearly, even at a fairly hefty price of $6k or so, it wasn't a sustainable business. But comparable to a nice Suhr or similar? From a playability standard, sure. But you need to really appreciate the strandberg unique-ness aspects as something worth a couple thousand extra. I can definitely justify a couple hundred extra for a super nice guitar with that extra cutaway for propping on your leg at a more classical angle, for instance, as for me that's a much more comfortable position.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Yeah don’t get me wrong, they’re very unique and comfortable guitars and I’ve always loved Ola’s approach to everything.

Main things from me are:
    - Exactly as you say, M2M’s are just too expensive. I sold mine because I needed a deposit for a house, and the fact that I could do that made it pretty hard for me to justify keeping. As a piece of engineering though, I loved that thing. My circumstances have changed a little now, hence my previous comment. I could afford to buy my guitar back, basically.
    - The (Indonesian, I think?) imports just don’t justify their price tag for me. The more guitars I’ve owned over the years, the less specific I’ve realised my requirements for a guitar are. Funnily enough I’m not this super special, super unique player that needs all these little improvements or adjustments to make something right. Actually, I like big fat necks, acoustically loud bodies, and pickups with a distinct character that makes me want to pick the thing up and use it. I also want something that’s just nice to own, nice to hold, and feels good in the hand.

So to your question of what I have now, prepare to be underwhelmed. I’ve just thinned the herd I little too.
    I own a Fender American Original Jazzmaster (lol), a Charvel Pro Mod (Japanese, not the new Mexi ones), a UV7BK Green Dot (OG, not Premium), and a couple of USA Jacksons.

Currently in the market for an 8 string. Waiting for something to inspire me or I’ll just go RG2228. This is what lead me to go try those import Strandbergs recently, in fact, there’s a dealer that carries a tonne near me.

If it’s helpful context, I write/record a combination of prog and death metal, mostly.

5. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Does Desert Sun have a website or Facebook page? I can't seem to find any information on the internet about it after an extensive search.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Inceptic and Musiscience like this.
  7. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

8. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Any news on the specs (scale length, etc) of the Singularity 8 and its release date ?

9. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I haven't heard anything but regarding scale length I'd be surprised if he went for something else than the normal 26.5" to 28" that Strandberg uses. Pickups would be Lundgren M8. Blue swirl. Etc. Not expecting a lot of surprises with this one.
    Release date...maybe they announce it at NAMM along with the basses? Dunno.

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  10. Icedfirefly

Icedfirefly SS.org Regular

Hello guys.

I bought one of the new 8 strings Boden Standard ones, really happy with it, very confortable!!! i'm already used to fanned frets since i have a Dingwall bass and a 8 Strings Harley Benton Fanned Frets.
    I got used to the Endure neck just as i started using it, no worries there, really light weight, after playing with it for a week i grabbed my Ibanez RGA and i can really feel a huge difference weight wise.
    Sound great too!!

The only issue that i have (With all my guitars) is that the area below the bridge pickup is starting to get brighter than the rest of the front, due to me anchoring my fingers in that area, here is a pic, but it doesn't show it too well yet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was thinking that maybe i could polish the front with car polish or something like that and then protect it somehow...

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Crundles likes this.
  11. aleclee

aleclee SS.org Regular

And now it's just shutting down, according to today's Strandberg newsletter. :( Guess that makes my USA Select a relative collectors item. :p

12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

USA Select shutting down lul

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Jeez. What's up with this brand? :lol:

Masoo2 and StevenC like this.
  14. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

So the only difference between the Original 7 and Prog 7 is the maple fretboard vs. ebony. For anyone that's played both, is there actually any real tonal difference with all other specs being the same?

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It used to be that the original was mii and the prog was mik. Now that they are all mii...

Get whatever is prettier to you?

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  16. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

so how many shops have made strandbergs now? 9?

17. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Not enough.

18. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I love the design but at this point I can't keep track of which one's which. Ill probably just buy one of the Boden OSes used at some point but until then I'm gonna be completely lost.

19. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Just to add my piece, I’m not at all phased by how many shops have made these instruments, nor by the price points as long as the instrument itself is playable. I’ve owned 4 at this point, feomnthe S7 first run 8 (actually owned the first one sent out to the public, #49 M2m (WANT IT BACK!!!), the last Korean prog 6 sold, and an indo 6 and the only one I didn’t like was the S7 because it was a piece of shit lol. The other three were immaculate as far as finish, fretwork, wiring and fitment, and that’s all I really require of a 2k instrument. I see a lot of people pissed about small dents and imperfections you’d have to look for to find, they never really bothered me though. What does bother me is bad design and shit customer service, and I can’t accuse Strandberg of either. That said, 3k is about where I’d draw the line for these instruments personally.

Will buy back #49 for whatever price necessary though, soon as I find whichever grandpa is hoarding it from the world =D

jemfloral and StevenC like this.
  20. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Should have just kept the made to measure shop, and closed the production line. Anyone who wasn't in line, wouldn't get one.

SIMPLE.