The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

Short Clip with some Ambient riffing:
    https://soundcloud.com/dead-queens/ambient-2

Ok, First impressions about this Strandberg Sälen Classic:

-Very nice finish and setup. I mean, there is zero flaw in this one. It looks like a candy. Love the yellow finish.
    -The neck is pure sex. I really like it! So smooth to play.
    -Pickups are very nice. I was kinda waiting a thin sound, but these Suhr PU's have nice "thick" tone for beeing a Singlecoil and they have pretty hot output, what I didn't wait for. Very modern if you ask me.
    -The guitar is light and it is very comfy to hold. Love the shape and i have always liked the Strandberg looks.

This is a quick headsup about my first impressions. I just got it and I am positively suprised. After reading many 'negative' user experiences about the QC on Strandbergs, I gotta say that when they nail it (like in this case), the guitar is a high end instrument and I can't believe that it comes from Indonesia.

Razerjack likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I mean let’s be honest. The negative experiences have always boiled down to the same 4 users. While I greatly respect their opinions it’s usually best to try and get some hands on experience whenever possible.

Richter, narad, Avedas and 2 others like this.
  3. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

For those wondering about the Singularity model, here's what Ed Yoon of Strandberg told me:

"We are in discussions with Per about developing new versions to be produced at PT Cort but we are not sure yet on when things will be finalized and do not expect that to happen until sometime next year."

As far as headless goes, for my tastes Steinberger are not super ergonomic and Kiesel and Ormsby pretty much have the same good/bad online review ratio as Strandberg. I own a Vader 7 and while I love it, I dont find it better or worse than my Strandbergs; it's different (weight, neck, body shape).

4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The vocal minority.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Talking about quality of guitars is just so weird.

There are folks out there who absolutely love, and speak the praises of the quality of their old Caparisons, wonky Roters, improperly fretted Etherials and Agiles that are better than USA Jacksons.

Are they lying because they're evil and want us to buy shitty guitars? Not at all.(Unless they're for sale.)

The thing is, people perceive quality differently, and our own biases and emotions often take control, at least subconsciously.

I'm not perfect, but I try to be as honest and clinical. But then again, we all do. :shrug:

Rook likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I only comment about the quality of the strandbergs I owned as counterpoint to all the glowing reviews floating around out there. My biggest point has always been that the quality of my particular guitars did not justify their price, especially given the fact that PRS and esp eii/schecter occupy a similar price range (with greater QC consistency ime).
    I'd like to try an original or metal at some point just to see if they're higher quality than my previous bodens.

7. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

The thing is you are more likely to state your opinion on products that somehow did not meet your expectations than on those that fulfilled them.

8. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

9. Narvic57

Narvic57 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Does anyone have tried a Boden Standard or have compared it with a Boden Original yet?

10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

So, I was on instagram and saw a post by Strandberg of a Swedish Custom Shop Boden saying “... acquired one of the very last Swedish custom shop Boden”. When going on the website, the Swedish shop section along with the USA custom section can’t be accessed. Only the Chinese and other imports can be seen on the site.

The guitar in the post was a 7 string neck through Boden, which I thought only the M2M orders could get. This is sad to learn at the very end that the Swedish shop could offer this option as it’s a bucket list guitar for me.

CF578FBD-6005-4D14-B684-3D5A977E2F08.jpeg

Maybe a new shop for high end Strandbergs will be unveiled at NAMM again? Not really hopeful for that but maybe...

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They still have the Japanese made Bodens, the Desert Sun made USA shop is just starting up. They're just ending Swedish production.

Musiscience likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

someone probably ordered it years ago and just got it. the wait time for the custom shops was like 2-4yrs last I checked

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Naw they put about 10 custom strandbergs on their eu site maybe 2 weeks ago. About 4-5 were neckthroughs. All gone within a week. They said they were the last of the Swedish batch.

14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

There's still two guitars left - one neck through and one bolt on from the Sweden Custom Shop.

15. Musiscience

Can a gentleman point a brother in the right direction? Can’t seem to find them on the net.

16. Musiscience

Never mind, found it and the price is too damn high with the actual conversion rate (6K CAD before import fees, shipping and taxes). May a wealthy European bask in its glory.

17. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I can’t remember what I said in this thread when I got it but having owned #6 and #55... the quality wasn’t really a standout point. #6 moreso, both guitars had a very handmade feel. I’ve since played some of their (crazy expensive, frankly) import guitars, like the Boden Metal etc, and the quality was actually great, but that’s MP vs handmade.

StevenC likes this.
  18. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Eh haven't ever played a M2M but the Boden Metal I had for a bit basically felt like an $800 Schecter... which was fine except it was a $2k guitar. You pay a massive premium for basically the shape and the Endure neck, neither of which wowed me enough to keep one around. They seem to be a guitar that either everything clicks and you love it and the premium is worth it, or they don't. I didn't hate the one I had by any means, but I didn't fall in love with it to the extent that I had to keep it or get another one either.

19. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Does anyone know which guitar was the final Ola Strandberg he personal made? He did make some of the first M2M by himself as luthier didnt he?

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Depending on whether people think Ola made is a good thing or a bad thing, it was either #43 or #44

Ziricote likes this.