The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

please don't buy it before I can try it haha

2. Soya

Soya Poor person

Oh don't worry, I can't afford anything at that place.

3. savage

savage SS.org Regular

Is anyone else waiting for their Swedish CS? My order was supposed to be finished early May but apparently Ola had some setbacks in the CS resulting in the delay. Problem is, he hasn't shown me any updates other than a super rough cut of the shape near the end of May, and he's given no estimates on completion time. Even got a nice koan about perfection taking time. I don't want to bother the guy with emails, but I'm not seeing stellar customer service in action here.

4. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Fat hope on getting pictorial updates. But with regards on at least an email update, keep sending an email every week, worked for me.

savage likes this.
  5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You didn't get an email update about the close of the Swedish CS? They're trying to wrap up all builds in the next few months here so you should expect yours sort of in those bounds (at least, that's what they're shooting for). Same as mine, but yours is likely further along even.

savage likes this.
  6. savage

savage SS.org Regular

Nope, haha. I just went and read their July newsletter. Now I'm happy I decided to go the neck-through route. Thanks for the info guys! Now to satiate the GAS in the meantime. . .

7. SpherE22

SpherE22 SS.org Regular

guys, something I just noticed with the strandys...If you go for a trem, the pickups will have to be straight and the distance between the bridge pickup and the saddles will be unoptimal. they will sound less tight. has anyone ever noticed that their bodens had these problems?

8. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I suppose I'll find out in a week when I get mine, but given how small of a fan it is, and that the distance from the pickup to the saddle of the lowest string is about the same as on my RG2228 due to needing to have the saddle that far back for intonation, I don't think it'll be a problem.

9. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Nope, I haven't had an issue at all.

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

The fan is pretty small, especially on the 6 stringers. Couldn't possibly tell the difference.

11. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

For as much as my Bodens are my go-tos, the distance between the pickup and bridge is no more “unoptimal” than the Strandberg gimmicks are “optimal” - No one feels handicapped when they pick up a non-Boden.

What does bother me is the lack of space to mount a GK pickup between the bridge humbucker and trem baseplate. I just keep hoping the piezo saddles Ola prototyped for Plini are someday available for order.

12. aleclee

aleclee SS.org Regular

I don't believe that the pickup positioning is different between terms and hardtails nor do I believe that the pickup positioning has changed from the pre-trem hardtails.

13. SpherE22

SpherE22 SS.org Regular

For 6 strings, yeah. They both use suhr pickups that are straight. But for 7, they use either fluences with a slanted routing or straight routing in the case of a 7 string tremolo. Misha mansoor sent his made to measure strandberg back solely because the bridge pickup didn't have the bite that can only be provided by a pickup that is placed closer to the bridge. So I was asking for a modern metal player's perspective when doing power chord chugging on low strings.

aleclee likes this.
  14. aleclee

aleclee SS.org Regular

Easy to see it on the Original 7 hardtail vs trem. Funny thing is on some other models (e.g., Classic 7), pickup angles don't change between trem and hardtail.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. narad

And yet for Tosin, it was no problem.

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

to be fair AAL music is more "clean" than heavy distorded riffs of Periphery

but yeh at the end of the day its a matter of personal prefference

17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Misha’s Boden was built-to-order by Ola; with tweaks expected. Try shooting off an email about how your Indonesian SKU guitar’s pickup isn’t close-enough to the bridge for serious dj0nts, and see what it gets you.

No matter what brand of guitar we like to play, the worst thing about it ends up being the other people who play it.

18. narad

Yea, I just have some qualms with people speculating that something is "wrong" because one notable person felt his particular guitar was not tight enough for his sound.

Why stop there? We could move all pickups even closer to the bridge, then I could complain that the slanted pickup on slanted bridge guitars weren't tight enough, and then random people on the internet could say, "hey, it wasn't tight enough for that guy!" Ultimately, as you say, personal preference, but one that people need to try out with their ears and not their eyeballs.

A-Branger likes this.
  19. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

It's time to just mount bridges onto pickups to ensure tightness.

jemfloral, narad and The906 like this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

i know for my ears and personal preference that my straight routed boden doesn't sound as good as my angled ones did. it's warmer sounding and doesn't have the same bite as the angled version. i had sfty3 and elysians in it, but the guitar just didn't translate the aggressiveness those pickup sets had in my other 8 string.

I play music likes this.