The Story Behind Parental Advisory Stickers - Housewives vs. Rock ‘n’ Roll

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Nov 13, 2017.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Hehehehe happy times.

I remember being confused because I was pretty sure Al Gore was a Democrat, but this was so Religious-Right (didn't know the Dominionist word at the time) Republican. It was my first noticeable exposure to "If you go far enough Left or Right, you wind-up in the same fascist place."

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

AFAIK the record also only said "do it" when played backwards. Do what? :)

I don't know if there was ever any particular censorship over here, and well, at least my parents didn't care about what I was listening to. They didn't like it when I started listening to Limp Bizkit because they thought all the swearing made it sound dumb, but they didn't prevent me from listening. I also remember my mom telling me something like "listen to whatever you like, as long as you don't go messing around with people's graves or doing other silly shit" when I started listening to black metal :lol:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Ancestor likes this.
  3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Good old PMRC. Reminds me of fun times... :banana::cheers::dime::mf666:

4. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

5. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Do what? Mow the lawn? Make a sandwich? I think Rob said something like that. I still say that today. Haha!

6. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

This one is awesome at about 4:00

aesthyrian and bostjan like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Now I know why I always need to pop an Altoids in my mouth every time I hear Exciter. :rofl:

8. BigBadAl

BigBadAl Too old to Mosh

Hahaha great times.. those little stickers usually help me search out new music .
    Backfired on them real good

9. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

That was incredibly frustrating.
    Trying to buy anything with that sticker in the Bible belt meant figuring the work schedules of the "cool" clerks or rolling the dice.

watson503 likes this.
  10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I was always amused by how inconsistent they were in awarding them. I think there might have been some ridiculous rule about how if you didn't have the lyrics in the book, you didn't get in trouble. So, there were many albums I had with the profane song as the only one without the lyrics, and with no sticker (I know Dave Matthews Band's "Halloween" was one), and then other albums with a solitary F'k and the sticker. Terrible.

11. Zer01

Zer01 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I remember Anthrax never got stickers even though they were notorious for their language. The lyrics sheet just had the bad words blurred out, and it's not like the PMRC was gonna give the record a spin.

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Is anyone else here old enough to recall when Green Day released Dookie, which had a front cover depicting violence, dogs throwing scat at a bunch of people, and had a title that literally means "shit," and a track included on it entitled "Fuck Off and Die," and showed a photo of a punk crowd on the back cover with someone holding up a plush Ernie from Sesame Street - so some holy roller groups tried to say that the presence of Ernie sort of almost predominantly visible on the back cover was misleading to parents, as they might think it was a children's lullaby album or something. So the Ernie doll was airbrushed out, but only in reprints for sale in the USA markets. :lol:

It's like logic never applies in these cases.

13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Another one that always amused me in high school was how the unbelievably profane Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence which was on a major label, had all the lyrics in booklet, and had a litany of screamed profanities and declarations of how "f'in whores" should "suck on my dick that cums lead," etc escaped the parental advisory sticker while stuff like say, the cartoony Godsmack/Static X or largely clean Staind was tarred. Great consistency!

I also remember being all hyped to get Garage Inc, buying it the day before release date, and finding out it had a song that was almost entirely beep noises cause it was censored and had no warning on it other than the sticker saying "Clean," which I didn't even know was a thing and thus didn't notice. Boy, was early teen me pissed.