The science of single pickup guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by littlebadboy, Mar 11, 2021.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Thought of sharing this, if you are interested in the science of a single pickup guitar.

What say you?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I need more... I need to play with the amp textures and one pickup just won't cut it...

3. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

I like neck pickups, but almost never use anything in the middle position. Tele bridge pickup with a humbucker neck is awesome for cleans and mid gain tones. One of my favorite sounds.

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I had one of mine single bridge hum bucker For a long time. Not even a tone pot. Eventually reverted it , but I liked it.
    Sometimes working with less options free’s you up.

odibrom likes this.
  5. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I like the middle position with the tone rolled down for some more sludgier stuff like Sabbath, or even older stuff like Clapton and ZZ Top.

I don't really watch many guitar videos anymore because they all seem to do a whole bunch of talking without saying anything, but they really need to start pushing that knobs don't just work on 0 and 10.

Luchilleus, Hollowway and odibrom like this.
  6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I've noticed that I prefer my bridge for everything. Even lead work sounds better with the bridge pickup.

I keep my neck pickup turned off so the middle position acts as a kill switch.

If I were to ever have a custom guitar I'd probably do 1 pickup.

7. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Yep the same for me. My favorite player recently has been Alexi Laiho and we know he only used one.

I just never got much from playing the neck pickup.

8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Ride the volume and tone knobs :yesway:

Zhysick and USMarine75 like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Personally I'd do just a bridge pickup with a Triple Shot, just a volume, no tone, and a kill switch.

And honestly I could even cut out the volume and just use the kill switch to turn the guitar off.

Flappydoodle and Zhysick like this.
  10. budda

Make it happen.

11. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

I’ve never owned a single pickup guitar, but I am interested in trying one out. Allan Holdsworth swore by them.

12. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

Definitely prefer a single hum guitar with a Vol/Tone configuration, and a series/parallel switch for extra tonezz. Have sweated out a fair number of neck pups which sucks. But, for versatility, two pups is usually more effective.

13. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Yeah. If I ever got another guitar I'd probably do just that. The ones I have now I just don't bother. After changing electronics and whatnot I just don't feel like sending them to the tech again for something else. But in the future I really think I'll just do a single triple shot pickup and killswitch

budda likes this.
  14. darkinners

darkinners my fingers are lame

I never use neck pickup, even for guitar like Strat. but I don't have any single pickup guitar mostly because it look weird to me and I sometime I place my pinky around the neck pickup edge as pivot.

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Cool video, but it feels a little dragged out to me. 3:15 of intro, then doesn't even get around to the general topic of the video until 5:30.

Anyway, though, yeah, pickups do dampen your sound very slightly and dampen your tone slightly more. I don't thi k it really matters much. If you need only 1 pup, then go for only one pup. If you need seven pups, get seven pups. If you don't use tone, yoink it out. Basically, only keep what you use. The rest is clutter and everything has a tiny effect on tone.

My main guitars are all either one or two pickups with no electronic controls. It sounds more alive to me, which translates to a better experiemce for me.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Most videos I've seen involving Rhett Shull, they put me to sleep lol.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    It sure is a possibility, but you know it isn't the same thing, right?

18. budda

It isnt. I also know that most people leave everything on 10 and dont know 90% of the tones their guitar makes without changing anything else.

19. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Takes his sweet time getting to the point, eh?

Interesting, well produced video, though. I use my neck pickup a TON so I could never go to a single-pickup guitar myself, but it does pose some interesting questions, especially as a guy who loves singlecoils (which given their design tend to have a lot more magnetic pull than humbuckers) about the impact of HSS vs SSS on the neck position and if you could get a subtly different response out of the neck singlecoil from having a bridge humbucker (or, about how the neck ML Standard of my HS Suhr has a little extra mojo to it that my SSS Strat with the same pickups can't quite match). Or on the other side of the coin, something like the Dimarzio Areas, which have a lot less magnetic pull than traditional singlecoils, and how that might change not just the tone, but the response of the guitar as well, compared to a traditional humbucker. I'm actually not sure how easy it is to wire an Area in the middle position compared to a conventional in a HSH guitar, but that could be a compelling argument to use one, which frankly I consider them pretty great noiseless singlecoils anyway.