The Ridiculous Opinion Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bradthelegend, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Al NiCotin

Al NiCotin SS.org Regular

"Jimi Hendrix [or any dead guitar player] wouldn't be able to play [this and that], he certainly didn't have the skills"

:scratch:

2. JohnDillingerJr

JohnDillingerJr LEFTY

Funny you should say this, when I was younger and starting out as a musician, I used to think this. I though music should be free, and it should be for the people. But then bills and hunger happened, not to mention I realized how much it really takes out of a man to live the musicians lifestyle and make decent music, so my perspective completely changed.

Also, when someone hears an artists new album, and it sounds different then the previous, and they cry "SELLOUT!!" 30 years from now, if I listened to everything I ever recorded and every song sounded the same, I would be severely disappointed.

3. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

"Basswood/mahogany/(insert wood here) sucks, get (insert wood here) instead"

No. Different flavors for different sounds. If a plywood guitar can help you achieve the sound you want, so be it.

"You need to (insert technique) at (insert BPM/polyrhythm) with (insert chord/scale) to be good/technical/awesome etc"

No. Musicality is more important, and those are just a means to get what music you are aiming to make.

"You're not metal if you listen to pop/blues/jazz/hard rock/(insert genre)"

No. Sometimes (most of the time?) metal fans are incredibly narrow minded...they just listen to metal and dismiss everything else. Eg. one of our favourite custom guitar luthier on SS.org, I literally sighed out loud when I read what he wrote..

4. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Pretty much any opinion by someone who isn't a musician is usually doing this

[​IMG]

Also; "All of that music sounds the same!"

Well shit sherlock, perhaps that's what a genre is? don't make me pull out the meme of the college kid making fun of radio music because you cant understand anything beyond 4/4...

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This bugs me, too. The cross pollination of ideas from different genres, and even really different types of music (like Indian classical music), is often where things get interesting.

6. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

SO. MUCH. THIS. Gibson always innovates it other directions and get bashed. they got bashed for the weird shapes 50 years ago, they got bashed for making too heavy guitars that caused back problems, they got bashed for solving this porblem by chambering their guitars, they get sued now for the self-tuning guitars... the fuck does the world want. :nuts:

7. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I am biased though, my prime GAS-object right now is a Gibson:lol:

8. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

If they can't make a Les Paul Standard sound good then they just suck.

9. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

According to a friend of mine (yes, same one I mentioned earlier in the thread) Jimmy Page is a much, much better guitarist and songwriter than Brian May, who just sucks (and his band is so totally ripping off Led Zeppelin).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I mean, I like Led Zep and I like Jimmy (LOVE his riffs) but technically Brian is, inarguably, streets ahead. That is undeniable.

And he writes better solos... I mean, yeah, Jimmy's recorded some great solos (Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog and so on) but he's recorded a fair share which are pretty lacklustre or downright awful... Brian's solos sound much more composed and structured, and less like he just went into the studio and played the first thing that came to mind. His solos are singable, they have a really strong melodic focus... Page's don't really have that, IMO.

10. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

And I disagree, I like Page better than May. Fancy that:lol:

11. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Sounds like a whole lot of opinion there son, the ridiculous type at that.

12. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Possibly - but surely it isn't too hard to hear that Brian May is a much more technically proficient guitarist?

That was what I was really getting at. Got sidetracked and dug myself a hole :lol:

13. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

I got a friend who thinks he has to play a LP or Strar bc he likes blues and told me I can't play anything but metal on my RGs.

14. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

"Jack White is one of the top 5 guitarists of all time. That's not even just my opinion, that's a fact." - my cousin yesterday

15. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Does technical proficiency make a good musician though? It might help, but it is hardly the be all and end all. Good music makes a good musician. Queen and Zep both rock, and the only thing that really sets them apart, for me, was Freddie, not Brian.

16. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

^I like Led Zeppelin way more than I like Queen.

Way more. :lol:

17. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

It was sort of a joke, though it really does bother me when people say they hate everything about a particular genre, or that a particular genre sucks. Generally speaking, all the people I know who've said that are closed-minded traditionalists who won't so much as listen to anything that deviates from the most mainstream artists in their genre of choice. I really hate people like that :(

18. heregoesnothing

heregoesnothing SS.org nub

"less notes, more bendy. dat soul"

19. trianglebutt

trianglebutt trianglebutt

I can't stand people who constantly worry about what equipment, techniques, settings, etc. their favorite artists use and never take the time to discover what they personally prefer. One guy I know was always piling on the mids to his guitar tone because "that's what Misha said". Then he'd wonder why his mixes sounded muddy and midrangey, and I would tell him there's too much damn mids.

One day he goes "So Misha lied, I found out I needed to lower some mids to get closer to his tone."

*facepalm*

20. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal