"The Pedal Movie" - out today

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Apr 30, 2021.

1. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

Watched it last night. It was entertaining and nerdy. I learned new things. Also, now I have a weird urge to go hunt out-of-production classic pedals.

c7spheres and StevenC like this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I'm still trying to figure out exactly what Fuller said beyond calling the mayor a pussy, calling looter's looters and saying he flushed out some prissy boys who were raised to pee sitting down. He also made a clear distinction between them and the protesters from what I remember.

- Seriously, what am I missing here? What else did he do or say? Not that what he did was good or anything.

- From everything I can find out there it does cry cancel culture, and undeserved at that. I've gotta be missing something here.

- Fuller asked to be removed from this Pedal movie because Reverb is still not letting him sell his stuff on there. They had the audacity to want him in the movie and made a clip of him and everything yet still want to ban him from Reverb, so he asked to be removed from the movie.
    - Reverb said they don't condone racist stuff so he was removed, but apparently it's ok to still put the racist in your movie. (even though there is no racist comments anywhere to be found)

Seriously, where are these racist comments?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Dog whistle (politics) - Wikipedia

He did not differentiate between looting and protesting. Anyone who makes an octave fuzz owes their livelihood to a black man. This is also why it is so tone deaf from that ex-Fender guy. But the point remains that he does not see a legitimate issue with what is going on in the world, and cares more about small businesses with insurance than POCs.

Add into that some toxic masculinity, and that dude can get fucked.

Fulltone founder Michael Fuller faces backlash over criticism of looting during George Floyd protests | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

He also pulled the "I'm not racist, you are". Complaining about looting while not condemning the police brutality that caused the real legitimate protests is near as can be to saying you don't care about the police brutality or systemic racism. Then he made a shitty apology about fear for small businesses in a time when guitar pedals are selling better than ever, but only because of backlash. Then he deleted that because it was a trash apology, people were criticizing him more for it, and it wasn't getting his product line reinstated anywhere.

Then who's to say what order things went with Fulltone and the movie, that's largely hearsay and could as well be him saving face.

[​IMG]

This was not cancel culture. This was not a deliberate hit on Fulltone. People just know he's an asshole now.

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

In an interview, LeVar Burton said about the term "cancel culture", : “I think it’s misnamed,” Burton said of the term, which has become a right wing buzzword. “That’s a misnomer. I think we have a consequence culture, and that consequences are finally encompassing everybody in this society, whereas they haven’t been ever in this country.”

The guy wasn't being sent to the guillotine or being imprisoned for life. He said some pretty disrespectful things and people were holding him accountable ny not supporting his business.

All that aside, I'm only a little way in but was VERY pleasantly surprised to see Steve Albini make an appearance.

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I don't need any more reasons to love LeVar at this point, but that was well said.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Watched it today. Enjoyed it , but it felt
    A bit long even to a pedal junkie.
    Was a little dry as well. They really didn’t bother trying to make it entertaining to someone who isn’t into Pedals. My wife came in half way through and sat down for 5 minutes before declaring it the most
    Boring doco ever made and leaving the room.

but still , well worth a watch if your into it.

Spinedriver, Hollowway and JimF like this.
  7. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Interested to know why this would be a bad thing?

sirbuh likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

that add to a history of spouting off at customers in emails, social media posts

just a generally unpleasant guy

Hollowway and StevenC like this.
  9. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Because to me they're the most pedantic, boring and useless "time black hole" in the Youtube guitar community. Catering to TGP audience that will rather watch other people blabbering for 1h than spending that time into playing the actual instrument.

Hollowway and JimF like this.
  10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If you wouldn't rather watch other people blabber than spend that time playing the actual instrument, why are you watching youtube guitar content instead of playing the actual instrument?

r33per, 4Eyes, JimF and 1 other person like this.
  11. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I really don’t understand the hate for Mick and Dan. They are both pretty qualified to speak from experience. Dan owns and is an engineer for GigRig and Mick was an editor for some leading guitar publications for a long time. They have designed boards and gear for everyone from Radiohead to Rabea. I’ve learned more about the way effects actually work from them than from any other source. Yes, they do tend to cater to the blues-TGP crowd, but I’ve picked up a ton of usable information from them and applied it to my metal/heavy rock rig and been perfectly satisfied.

r33per, maccayoung, laxu and 2 others like this.
  12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Speaking only for myself, but I've yet to graduate from "messing around on the internet" to "literally sitting there with a guitar in my lap, peeling off hot lixx" in my pandemic work-from-home bad habits. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  13. Emperoff

I am not ;)

14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I dont think many people not into pedals are watching this except by proxy :lol: (music history types might also watch it).

15. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Dan and Mick dont speak to me as players to be fair, but then nor does Ola despite being a metal dude. However, I watch both because they know their stuff. Watching Danish Pete demo the Kraken Preamp pedal was a joke because he cant bring out the best in that type of pedal where theres 100s of other dudes who could have a done a better job. Doesn't mean that DP is bad at what he usually does, just means the selection here was a bit odd to demo that pedal. So Dan and Mick are brilliant at what they do and recognised as such.

16. Emperoff

I don't hate them. I just wouldn't watch anything by them because to me they're utterly boring and pedantic. I'm not doubting about their expertise. I just don't care for their, ehm... "format" of 1h long videos that could probably be summarized into 20 minutes.

To me they're like the maximum expression of guitar procrastination, and I'm just not into that. If I have the time to watch an 1h long guitar video, I prefer to play the guitar instead. :shrug:.

I'm aware they are very knowledgeable dudes with a cult following of guitar players that are more of "gear buyers" than players, who love diving into every nuance of the gear they own or want. And that is perfectly fine. I'm just not their target audience, which is why I asked if they were involved in the movie.

It's a good thing to have options. Isn't it?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Dame Ningen, c7spheres and budda like this.
  17. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I'll wait for the book, books are always better.

BigViolin likes this.
  18. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

That's actually an excellent idea for an history or music PhD candidate to pursue.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Agreed. But a good , well
    Made doco, can often get someone who isn’t normally interested in the subject matter invested invested and entertained.
    This one def doesn’t try to do that.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure at least 3 fairly substantial books about pedals came out in the last year.

narad likes this.