The Painting thread

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Came up with this design a couple weeks ago, had some days off this week and my hand/wrist is feeling better so I gave it a go. I used two vintage scythe pics and a ruler as references. Pencil>pen>fine point marker. Very pleased with the initial results. This will be a stencil, and also very likely a tattoo.

"culling fields of famine"

2A36E1C8-F0E6-45FC-85DE-8925F34E71ED.jpeg

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with digital oil painting in Rebelle, and here's a portrait of Hayoung of fromis_9. The watercolor liquid physics really adds a lot to the overall feel of the painting. What's really interesting is when the watercolor drips over the oil paint, it melts the oil paint and makes it run, but the oil will run very thick. Obviously, that's not "real" physics because water and oil don't mix, but it creates an interaction anyway.

It was a challenge to balance the impasto brushwork and runny watercolor drips with the overall aesthetics. Often, I ended up with brushwork that was too prominent or watercolor blooms/drips that were too much, and had to pull back a bit. I had to be careful especially around the eyes, otherwise it would look like she's crying and had runny mascara, or the impasto made her skin too rough. I still don't know if I ended up with the ideal balance, but I think I need to move on to finish the next painting.

Hayoung-2-Rob_Chang(srgb).jpg

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I assume the "rain lines" running through her hair vertically are the watercolor drip interaction you described, I think that's probably my favorite feature of the painting overall. It really amplifies the sensation of her being backlit by the sun. I bet if you got them to run in the direction of the light it would be even moreso, not sure how much control you have over that.

Anyway, very cool, thanks for sharing.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I assume the "rain lines" running through her hair vertically are the watercolor drip interaction you described, I think that's probably my favorite feature of the painting overall. It really amplifies the sensation of her being backlit by the sun. I bet if you got them to run in the direction of the light it would be even moreso, not sure how much control you have over that.

Anyway, very cool, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! She's actually indoors in a room, and the light source behind her is a lamp. There are other lights in the room, such as in front and behind her.

In Rebelle, you can control the direction of of the drips, as well as the width and length. You can download the trial version and play around with it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it's easier than explaining that the drawing is based on a photo of an unknown guy who is often mistaken for Frank Fiegel due to being strongly reminiscent of a younger version of him. :lol:

Really cool drawing of whoever that is, though. I'm loving your use of the focal plane. :yesway:

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
decided to give inktober a shot this year, and this is the only thing I'm happy with so far lol
ratallada.png

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I recently have been getting back into physical media after years and years of digital. Never been a painter (mostly just a cartoonist) but I've been really into learning lately. So I got some gouache paints and after one false start, did a quick painting of one of my favorite photos I took on my recent trip to France.

IMG_20221015_134712_(1000_x_1400_pixel).jpg

I've got a whole lot to learn but this is like Hella fun.

Also yall are all really fantastic.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are these all from photo references or are you pulling them from your head?
They have to be from references--be it photo references or from life. No artist in the history of mankind can just paint photorealistic portraits of existing people out of their heads (these are portraits of famous Korean singers, and I used photo references). It's just not something within our ability, because our human brains cannot memorize such high levels of fidelity, no matter how talented/accomplished.