The one song/album that 1st got you in to Rock/Metal

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Apr 20, 2021.

1. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

This.

Metallica were my favorite band after throughout elementary, middle, and some of high school. Eventually I got on the internet and found bands like Shadows Fall, In Flames and CoB and realized there was a whole world I had been missing out on.

zappatton2 likes this.
  2. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

My mom and dad brought this album home from one of their Polish trips. My mind was totally blown. I was around 6-7 at that time.

zappatton2 likes this.
  3. thetourist

thetourist SS.org Regular

Van Halen's "Ain't talkin' 'bout love" roiled my early teenage brain something crazy. Ever since then, I cannot get enough of fun-sounding heavy rock/metal/anything!

4. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

It's either Iowa by Slipknot or one of those Elvis complete collection packs they used to sell on shopping tv all the damn time when I was in elementary school. :lol:

Edit: Actually now when I think about it. The first album I ever bought was Red Hot Chili Peppers' By The Way. I remember seeing a commercial of it on tv and thought it sounded rad so I got the album. Still my favorite RHCP album. Used to play along it with an acoustic all the time back in high school.

5. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i think my bro got me into Metallica first, probably master of puppets but shortly thereafter he had Korn's first album and the middle schooler in me was hooked when I heard Blind. Iowa by Slipknot was also in heavy rotation at that time too.

6. lucidrive

lucidrive SS.org Regular

Tool - stinkfist

Still one of the heaviest song ever heard. Dark eerie and emotional.

Discovered drop d and thought it was ingenious!

7. kerryymm

kerryymm SS.org Regular

I first got into guitar listening to Dire Straits... especially the Alchemy live album; I couldn't get enough of those solos. Then I heard Hysteria by Def Leppard. Laughable now, but those big G/E powerchords in the chorus of "Women" made me think about a whole other thing the guitar could do. From there it was the rest of the Def Leppard catalogue (the Rock Rock Til You Drop riff was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard), and anything I could get my hands on, basically.

That's too many words: the song/album that got me into rock/metal was Def Leppard's Women, from the Hysteria album :)

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  8. Fis:Destroyer

Fis:Destroyer SS.org Regular

I had young parents in the early 80’s, so I grew up surrounded by rock music. But my earliest memory where I remember a specific song is from 1st grade when I had a cassette of songs that had Blue Oyster Cult’s Godzilla on it. I was very excited because I loved the movies, and would listen to the song over and over again.

9. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

It's hard to say what was first. I had an older brother who listened to a lot of punk rock around the time so I had some influence, and my parents liked a lot of classic rock but never really listened to music.

I'll try and do them in order:

1. Queen: Greatest Hits II (on cassette)
    2. Age Aerosmith - Get a Grip
    3. Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks
    4. Misfits - Collection II
    5. NOFX - Punk in Drublic
    6. Nirvana - In Utero
    7. Metallica - ...And Justice for All
    8. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
    9. Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves

That's a lot of music to absorb in 5 years. If I liked a band I usually bought everything they released, I remember in 5th grade getting a decent CD player for Christmas, a Magnavox from a JC Penny catalog, I think it was $249.99 at the time, and it had fake tweeters lol. I tried to find the same model I used to own but it seems almost impossible, I used to play clean guitar through the AUX input, and it sounded surprisingly good. I'm sure now though it wouldn't sound nearly as good as I remember.

10. millenliam

millenliam SS.org Regular

Crazy Town - The Gift of Game, followed by Slipknot's self-titled.

11. Brett Taylor

Brett Taylor MesaMad

Metallica One, I was 11yrs old. I still have the 7” vinyl. Then the Black album came out and I was hooked.

12. Screwhead

Screwhead SS.org Regular

My dad always listened to rock and had a huge vinyl collection.. Tons of Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, etc..

The first album that really got me into metal was Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. I love that whole album, every track on it could be a single and it all sounds so amazing!

For the harder side of stuff, it was Marilyn Manson's Smells Like Children that got me to want to play guitar and make music.

13. ErockRPh

ErockRPh SS.org Regular

"Bastard" by Motley Crue was my gateway to real metal. Mick's guitar tone from that album is still a favorite of mine - that grind is awesome. I found Metallica shortly after and that was all she wrote.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Everyone seems to love Seventh Son and rank it highly, but I think that album stinks. It was where the increasingly apparent issue of chorus laziness REALLY becomes apparent, and very in your face. It was bad enough when the chorus would appear too many times, and even worse when the vocals for the chorus was little more than a reciting of the title of the track. I don't get it; the more "prog" Maiden got, the lazier -- and by extension, worse -- the choruses got. I get that choruses are meant to be repeated, catchy, etc, but compared to some of my favorite Maiden tunes, the choruses here are just moronic level.

My issue, then, is that it is even worse when Bruce would refer to "metal ghettos" and the like, which is very condescending, and stare down his nose at us who didn't like the album (and the prog elements) like we are just a bunch of brainless apes. He talks about this in his book, which he'd also addressed in his interviews of the time period. What's worse, is that he doesn't seem to be self aware enough to realize that the only monkey minded bullshit in all this is Mr. Rockstar, looking down his nose at the unwashed masses, while he phones in the laziest choruses possible.

All of that, by the way, is a very verbose way of saying that I disagree with a lot of the folks who love Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, then shit all over No Prayer and Fear. To be clear, I do enjoy Somewhere in Time, as it is a nice bridge between the prior three albums (Number, Piece, Powerslave) and the following album. It doesn't overdo it like the following album, and also builds nicely for the most part on what the prior albums had.

As for No Prayer and Fear, they get rid of all of the creative cul de sac they had worked themselves into, and went back to basics. Also, I think that Janick was a nice shot in the arm for a band that was using gimmicks (synths, effects, 'prog' arrangements) to cover up a band that was overworked and coasting. If you mentally strip away a lot of that, it sounds like a band on auto pilot. With No Prayer, the band seems excited a bit again about doing their brand of music. Unfortunately, I feel like whatever they might have rebuilt for some fans with those two albums was erased off the chalk board when Bruce bounced to take up a solo career as well as flying, in exchange for Blaze. The weird thing is that Blaze's solo stuff is really good, but the stuff on X and XI are very much trying to shove a square peg into the round hole. It probably didn't help any that Steve was in a sour mood for X and wrote music accordingly, but still.

To me, I think those two records with Janick before Bruce left were the last truly great records from Maiden.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Funny as this may sound: Tube Snake Boogie by ZZTop.
    I must've been 7 or 8 years old when my dad bought his first CD-stereo for our car, and he was blasting that song as he picked me up from school. My parents have pretty awesome taste in music tbh, they were always listening to Queen and stuff like that at home, but that particular ZZTop song is what got me into it as well.
    Fast forward a few years, and all my friends also started to get into music in general. Through some peer pressure I kinda fell out of the rock-world and listened to rap and hiphop for a while, before nu-metal became the biggest thing ever. Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park served as a gateway for my friends to get into what I'd been into before, and then we got into heavier music together.

16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

The kids that listened to satanic, brutal, gore,...metal music in the 90's became parents so there's that. Kids these days are embaressed that their dad is rockin' his tomb of the mutilated cd in the car when he's picking up his kids from school!

brector likes this.
  17. brector

brector SS.org Regular

Yeah, my 5 year old son listens to a lot of different music in my car. Right now we are listening to BTBAM. He isn't old enough to be embarrassed of me yet lol.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  18. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Korn - Freak on a Leash and the whole Follow the Leader album. My older sister brought the album home when I was 10 and it really got me into heavier music.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I remember my friend's mom would wait for him when school was out listening to thrash and death metal, rocking out like a motherfucker. She didn't seem like a rocker chick, but damn was she sexy. Not in an obvious way, but I sure had the hots for her.

20. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Rock - U2 - The Joshua Tree

Metal - Metallica - Black Album

Playing guitar - Surfing With The Alien

I met them in like... 2004 or 2005. Morgan was super aloof. They had a different guitar player. Blonde. Forget her name. Aside from Morgan being aloof, she and Mercedes put me on the guest list for the show.