The Official O.A.F. Autumn Build Thread + Contest Rules [RUN IS CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by JaeSwift, Jul 29, 2012.

1. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

Damn, right when I deleted my Facebook account!!

2. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Here ye go!

3. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Tom, glad to hear you decided you can't be all things to all people. Sounds like a good business plan!

4. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

This is cool, and I'm excited to see the designs Tom! The reason I wanted to get in on this run in the first place was your involvement in the forums and honest reputation. This is proof positive, especially in the wake of all the horror stories lately.

I've been super happy with my OXC and honestly the ones that are still in progress look even better. Sit tight guys, it's worth it.

5. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

I figured I would drop this in here.. I had been meaning to do this for awhile, but got around to it once I wrapped up moving. I found a horizontal guitar mount to show off a guitar that deserves to NOT be hanging around in its case all day. There were a few options online, and the one I snagged seems to be pretty secure and would accommodate a range of instruments as it is fully adjustable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crap lighting, I get literally ZERO direct sunlight in that room.

6. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Holy shitballs, that top is insane.

7. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

Alrighty, the necks will be getting their last coat this morning and the bodies will be getting their finishes next week. I think all of the parts are in now so it should be a straight shot to completion over the coming weeks.m I am sooooooooooo ready to get these guitars out to you guys. I'm actually looking forward to playing these ones too. I don't actually own a 7 or 8 so the only chance I get to play one is when I set these up and I love the OXC's.

I'll be spending some good quality time today on Danukenator's 10 string XEN and I may even get a few minutes to cut out the bodies for the 2013 Black Friday 6 strings this weekend too now that the necks and other parts are in.

8. Erick Kroenen

Erick Kroenen SS.org Regular

nice!!, any pics ? please

9. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

THIS!

Tease me with my ebony goddess. :cool:

10. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

I can't wait to try out my neck! What did yours feel like?

11. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

my mac ebony neck was smooth as ****, but I didn't like the endurneck at all. The new neck is made out of very black ebony and has a normal profile.

12. Tom Drinkwater

Hey guys! I got some of the 2013 Black Friday work done and probably need another couple of days until those are ready for finishing. 6 strings are waaaaaaay too easy, especially when you can just buy the necks.

Anywho, today and for the rest of the week I'll be shifting back into finishing mode and working the OXC's through to the completion of the finishing stage. It is slow going but should generate some good pics. I'm doing some dye work this morning and hope to have the colors all wrapped up by tomorrow, then I'll move onto the clear coats. Keep an eye on my FB page for pics over the next couple of days.

13. Tom Drinkwater

I posted some pics on my FB page of the finishing progress and will do the same tomorrow if I remember too.

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Hey Tom, any chance you'll be able to get started on the customs as well? I'd like to get in the mix before you get too bogged down with the 6 string run, if that's possible. I'm not sure if you've started your customs-on-the-weekend schedule yet.

15. Tom Drinkwater

Yup, customs on the weekend has been rolling for a few weeks and going pretty well. This weekend was pretty slow with waiting for shellac to dry and filling tiny imperfections with epoxy so there is literally nothing actually show for my work. I spent the time between filling and spraying by getting a start on the two 6 string Black Friday guitars. Those are going to go really fast once the finishing ends. This week I can't make hardly any dust because I'm finishing up the finishes on the OXC run but as soon as it ends it's back to slinging dust.

Speaking of finishing I posted a few more pics today over on my FB page. There are some really cool looking tops that are worth checking out.

16. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

[​IMG]

Mines the Light blue in the back, getting very close now!

17. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

The red one is mine!

18. Tom Drinkwater

Hey all, no pics today but progress just the same. I started the finish on the last guitar this morning and hope to see it finished at some point this week. That means that the assembly phase should start next week and if all goes as planned I'll be burying my tech in work by late next week. The weeks after that should be filled with case fitting and frequent visits to the post office. It's officially the home stretch.

19. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Man, those two finishes look great!!

20. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Out of curiosity, Tom, what strings are you setting these up with (brand/gauges)?

I'm overdue for fresh strings on mine so I'd like to know what the baseline is (I'll probably go a little heavier gauge on a few of them). Figured I'd ask here instead of email in case anyone else was wondering too.

Anyway, I'm still loving mine and looking forward to seeing more OAF NGDs.