The Official O.A.F. Autumn Build Thread + Contest Rules [RUN IS CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by JaeSwift, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

This last batch of posts were awesome. I'll take a Ford Raptor and a 6000 sq foot shop. I'll just sleep in the truck. House cleaning is so much easier with compressed air and a shop vac.

The necks are mostly roughed in now. Next week will see the necks through to completion which is super exciting because I was really expecting to be hating life right now but the sander modification really helped keep my shoulder in one piece and will help me produce better necks faster. Wendy took pics but probably won't post too much until the weekend.

The modified belt sander worked great so made some improvements and am still waiting on the custom sanding belts to arrive. Once that happens I'm going to make a video and pitch the idea to Rockler because they have a program where they take in ideas and make products and give a cut to the inventor. When they shoot me down (never hurts to try) I'll make the design public and post all of the details here, on my facebook and on my website.

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Outstanding!

3. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Hey! I didn't know there was another architect on this site! I got my MArch in Boston at WIT, where did you go to school?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So excited about these new builds Tom! Also that XEN HCC10 with the redwood burl top you posted on facebook today is a beast.

4. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Tom is making progress :lol:

[​IMG]

5. Tom Drinkwater

Hi guys! I'm still sanding necks. I should be finished up with all of the standard profile necks today and will be carving a couple of Endurneck's tomorrow. I missed a few work days last week so luckily I had some help in the shop yesterday and we made some really good progress on the hand sanding. My next move is to go back over every neck to make sure everything looks and feels just right. Once each neck is sanded to perfection at 120 grit I'll move up the grits to 220 and seal them.

6. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

[​IMG]

Hnnng!

7. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

yessa, the ebony neck is mine. It is a neck with a normal profile, because i couldn't get along with the endurneck.

8. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

It's great, very dark! I still haven't seen the back of my neck, although I'm not expecting anything fancy, just Mahogany/Ebony/Mahogany, which I chose after a suhr custom shop I played some time ago (Which I might add, is my favourite guitar i've ever played) and all the woods in this build copy that particular suhr.

9. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I see a lefty neck in there :) That flame is awesome!

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang, those necks are HOT! I simply can't wait to get my hands on mine (which aren't any of those, but are coming down the pike!)

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What kind of ebony? I have a macassar ebony for my XEN9, but that one looks darker than mac ebony.

12. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I don't know which species it is. I asked for really dark ebony to match the top of my guitar.

13. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

It's probably Gabon ebony.

14. patsanger

patsanger SS.org Regular

DAMN! That ebony neck... that's awesome

15. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I will make sure to post an NGD 2.0 with the updated guitar. ;)

16. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I've gotten my custom btw, the purple one. I'm waiting for an adjustment tool from Hipshot and some strings though, so I won't be showing it off until I've gotten it set up the way I like it. I might also change the wiring. Anyway, it's really nice, but I don't know quite what it sounds like yet because the truss rod needs an adjustment for these (stupid super light D'addario) strings. And I don't have anything small enough to even attempt to change the saddle heights :lol:

There will be NGD threads, and then a headless 8 will be made too! :D

17. patsanger

patsanger SS.org Regular

Thanks for the NGDs guys. Dang I want to see more of that ebony neck and i want to know how it feels...

18. Tom Drinkwater

The dark ebony is Diospyros Crassiflora, also known by many other names. it is very dark. The Macassar Ebony (diospyros celebica) is my personal fav and in many ways resembles a dark East Indian Rosewood except that it costs 2.5x more and I'm not allergic to it.

Anywho, the guitars are whizzing right along now. I'm held up at the moment with a really bad cold and as soon as my head gets right I'll be right back at the finishing. I'm physically at around 20% at the moment and I don't dare even look at the necks which are about half way through their finish schedule.

Having said all of that I feel the need to let everyone here know how much I appreciate your patience throughout this whole build. You guys have been absolutely great. Also, please don't be alarmed when I post a feeler thread for the next O.A.F. run. I need to get my ducks in a row now so I can seamlessly transition into more work after this run so I've got to start planning now. I won't be actually building anything new until I've cleared the OXC's and the new Black Friday XEN DC6 guitars off the bench. If you've got a custom in the works you can rest assured that the misc customs will continue to get my attention all day every Saturday and Sunday. This schedule seems to be working out pretty well so far so I'll keep running with it.

19. Tom Drinkwater

alright, first day back on the job. I honestly don't know what the hell I tangled with but I think I finally beat it. I don't if you caught my post this morning on fb about using a sinus rinse with distilled water and hydrogen peroxide but that is what it finally took to kill my sinus infection. If you ever wondered what it's like to be drowned while a road flare is igniting in your head that's probably a pretty good simulation.

Anywho, I'm back on the job today and will get back to the finishing. Since I sprayed the first coat of finish on most of the necks a week ago I've had the opportunity to see the finish in action and I'm very impressed with the new stuff I'm using. It's waaaaaaaaay harder than lacquer which isn't necessarily hard to achieve but also has a wonderful depth to the finish. One of the best things about the new finish is that it doesn't require as many coats because it has a much higher solids content than lacquer. That means that it builds a lot faster than nitro and will use fewer coats. Yay, new finish!

I've also just posted a Note on my FB page so if you all have a second and want to check out what's happening there please do.

20. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

I'm really happy I decided to go for a ten string! The production 8's sound really cool.

Did you ever figure out if there was some way to get a hold of a CNC for the rough work?