The Official Decibel Guitars Thread - builds in progress

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by darren, Jan 23, 2010.

1. SavM

SavM SS.org Regular

You guys are awesome and even better friends! Can't wait to see the progress

2. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

This looks like one of the SigOne tops. As a customer of that run, I do not like how that sharp edge of the top is on the upper horn, not one bit. There is no fluidity with the body at that point and ruins the aesthetic flow completely.

Also, is it really necessary to remove that much of the top? Not feeling it at all...

3. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

thats a custom ordered one, although i have no clue what the sig1s are going to look like. I havn't seen one carved yet.

*shrug*

4. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

5. Polythoral

Polythoral Hipster Mustaine

Yeah, that one's mine. I actually like that look quite a bit. It'd be nice if it curved down into the horn a bit more, but other than that I think it's pretty awesome, at least with my wood choices. I could see how it could be unappealing with different choices possibly though.

6. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

I was at the shop last night with Alexander who's visiting from Norway, and things are indeed starting to come along. :yesway:

And joining with Brian and Jay I will also be helping with some of the fretwork, dressing and final setups. I have confidence that it'll all work out, and Darren has always been a stand up guy who's working hard to get this rectified.

7. asher

asher So Did We

Just when we thought the team couldn't get any better :lol:

8. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i have the utmost respect for you, jay and brian.

9. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

Look, I am not saying this to start anything, believe me, but let's be honest here and not try stuffing the skeletons in the closet. The part I highlighted here is not a true statement. The very details posted by Jay above of the Truth very well lays that out.

He's been in a sinking boat for a while and that bucket he was using to scoop out the water was starting to not be enough to keep from sinking. Now I commend you AVH guy, Jay, and Brian for stepping in with your buckets (that are clearly not in use currently) in trying to help him out. However, I feel it is necessary to call this out as to not try to bury the truth and try to replace it with lies, or at least, large stretches of any pigment of truth that may have been contained.

10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I would relax it to "Darren has always had good intentions."

11. Cloudy

Cloudy Wood Labs

While I don't agree that AVH/Jay/Brians buckets are 'clearly not in use' since a whole bunch of progress has actually been made since they arrived (unless I misinterpreted that and you meant darren hasn't been doing anything). I do, however, agree that it shouldnt be brushed off, what Darren did was super shitty and he screwed over a lot of customers.

I'm glad it appears things are picking up at the shop and paying customers are actually getting what he promised to deliver, I know bashing him does no good in the short term but it should definitely be known that Darren has been a deceitful business man and people should be wary dealing with him in the future.

Again, as Ive said before, I would love to see his brand take off. He has some of the coolest designs out there in my books and Im still super stoked to get my SS1 despite everything. I'm hoping you three, AVH, Jillard, and Brian, are whats needed for him to get back in gear and make his brand succeed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  12. Jay Jillard

Please tell me you are doing the Stainless Steel =P I pulled the short straw on that one lol, but i heard you don't like ss, so i guess I'm still stuck with it.

I'm not saying your wrong, but lets just see where we get in the next two weeks before we do any revisiting of the past.

we are well past the point of bailing out water, we are now done watching the boat sink, and we have decided to build something more seaworthy. Once we get it floating it will be up to Darren to sail it, and avoid crashing again, while the rest of us remain on the shore yelling 'bon voyage'

man, boat analogies are so good.

Again, our goal is to get Darren out of this mess, and to make sure you guys aren't getting screwed. What he (and all of you) do afterwards is completely up to y'all.

13. Cloudy

Cloudy Wood Labs

:agreed: This is why the guitar community is great. I was pretty ecstatic to hear you guys were helping out. Good things to hopeful come in the next two or so months.

14. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

Another SS.org build thread trainwreck, but how awesome are Brian & Jay, you guys are great human beings!

15. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Cleaned up in here a little.

Please keep things civil and on topic. Feel free to exchange criticism of each others debate tactics via PM.

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Not to stoke the fires, but I'm assuming Darren designed the portmanteau logo. Since there isn't a company for the logo, the three guys won't be working together after this, etc., I kind of feel there is still this tendency to retreat to the computer and play with design when the focus should be on woodworking in the shop. It's going to be a hard habit to break, but it's the least important thing to work on.

17. Jay Jillard

i made the logo, because i thought it was funny, and I also felt weird putting my logo on the pictures.

but i watermark all my pictures by default... soo...

Darren's not the only designer =P

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Oh wow, that's cool, I didn't know you did design, too. That would be one reason your body shapes are so sexy! (The guitars, not your actual body. Though, I'm sure it's nice in a completely platonic observation. :lol:)

19. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

My thought exactly.

That's great news that Allan is joining the effort!

20. Jay Jillard

yep, i've done a bit of graphic design, interior design, photography, writing, moviemaking.. as well as my day job which is designing helical tools to be made on a 7 axis cnc grinder. =P

I'm just a creator in general. =]

I think MY body is the only thing i have that's not designed by me..