The noise gate thread where no one is allowed to suggest ISP

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rick_fears, Jan 3, 2013.

1. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

Okay so i simply need a noise gate. I've read lots of threads on gates and ISP is consistently heralded as the noise gate Jesus. One problem. They're expensive and I don't want to dish the dough out unless I have no other option. I am full aware of the decimators capabilities but I am less aware of the competitions. People say ns-2's are good but when you crank them they suck tone. That's no good because the majority of the time my stack is cranked lol. Havnt heard much about mxr's gate except that it can be too agressive but I'm sure that just has to do with the settings. The rocktron hush- meh. And i have no idea what the difference between the normal hush and the reaction hush is except the reaction looks like it came straight out of TRON world lol. I'm supposing that there's some difference between the two apart from cosmetics. Behringer doesn't even count and I can't think of any more notable gates. So really I'm just asking for an informational gate thread where everyone doesn't say go ISP or fuck behringer lol

Thank you very much and good day!

2. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

I have used NS-2's for around 10 - 15 years (along with a fuck load of other people and 'big' touring bands). I don't notice any tone sucking. I suggest looking for a used one, they can be found for pretty cheap. They really are good noise suppresors. There is a reason you consistently hear about ISP though....

3. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

I own both. I find that the ISP is great if you just want to get rid of extra noise, but the ns-2 excels at giving you a tighter sounding tone. There is noticable difference with it in and out of the chain though. I use the two together for different purposes.

I use the Ns-2 in the front to fight my keeley compressor and maxon and the ISP is a miracle worker for cleaning up your sound.

I recommend the ISP if you can save up the cash, but thats not really the point of this thread. I just wanted to provide my experience.

Edit: I use to own the standard hush and IMO don't bother. You have to crank it for it to work correctly and it sucks the hell out of your tone.

4. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

As an ISP Decimator G-String user, I can proudly say that the Boss NS-2 kicks ass :yesway:

5. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

The Boss Ns 2 and Isp work differently as said before I would highly recommend getting a Boss Ns2 and later the Isp if at all possible it is that much better. I have used the other gates and they suck to be blunt. The only other alternative would be the Mxr smartgate and it is decent but I still prefer my ns2 hope this was helpful in some way.

6. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

I agree. Years ago I had a rackmount Hush and it sucked dick. I returned it and bought my first NS-2. No regrets there. :yesway:

7. Xherion

Xherion SS.org Regular

I own an MXR Smart gate as well as my brother. We're both happy with it. I run it through a 5150 and does well to cut the noise, especially with an OD in the signal chain. I picked it up used for $60. I probably wouldn't pay retail on it though since for a little more you can get the Decimator.

The NS2 can be had all day used for $40. I've never tried one, but have never been disappointed with a BOSS product. Well I take that back, the Metal Zone is a steaming pile of crap. :D

8. Angus Clark

Angus Clark SS.org Regular

Lovin' the MXR Noise Clamp round here. Lined it up against the NS-2 one-after-the-other and they were pretty damn close, but I felt the Noise Clamp did less to the original tone.

9. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

DBX 266XS has a lot of STFU in it! It's rack mount tho so may not be for you!

10. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

I dont have any tone sucking from my NS2. works good

11. Diggy

Diggy Banned

yeah, Boss NS2 for $50 or so used, cant beat it.

12. Cuddles

Cuddles Active Member

WMD Effects Utility Noise Gate

13. peldikuneptun

peldikuneptun the septic lord

Rocktron Guitar Silencer. Based on personal encounters - that one is better than NS-2 or the Smart Gate (IMHO of course).

14. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

MXR Smart Gate and Noise Clamp are pretty good. I haven't used an ISP Decimator or Boss NS2 but everyone I've talked to about them have enjoyed them. When I get a disposable 100$ I'm definitely gonna buy myself a Decimator.

I dunno if Digitech has an actual noise gate pedal, but the noise gate on their RP pedal board line is really nice as well.

15. traditional

traditional SS.org Regular

I used to run an ISP and an NS2, but ended up buying another NS2 and selling the ISP.
    I don't think the ISP's inferior, it's just that it was too finicky for my liking and with how tightly packed my pedal board is I found that I knocked the knob when I was tap-dancing.
    That said, I love the NS2. It hardly sucks tone, never enough for me to notice, it's cheap and reliable.

16. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

+1 on NS-2, it's cheap and it works.

17. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Another vote for the ns2. I tried building a clone of it once so i know that circuit inside out, it cant suck tone more than a buffer or a bypassed boss pedals.

18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

MXR Smart Gate... works as advertised. Great pedal.

I didn't like the ISP I tried.

19. guitarfishbay

guitarfishbay SS.org Regular

I'm not going to mention the name, since that was requested by the OP.

But I'll leave you with this saying:

'Buy once, cry once'. If you know you'll be happy with the expensive one then don't sell yourself short :)

And I am a very happy user of the 'banned pedal'. I stick it first in chain and then all I'm left with is normal amp running noise when it shuts. The more expensive version that goes in the loop probably isn't worth the upcharge in real terms IMO. This is because unless everyone in the band takes the same total silence approach then it doesn't reallly matter if there is some amp noise or not, as something else will also be making a masking noise and you won't notice the amp noise. I've never had such a problem with amp hum that it has been an audible distraction over the rest of a band, but I guess YMMV.

20. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I have a "banned" product in my Theta preamp and it's incredible. Beyond words incredible.

I have a Rocktron HUSH Super C in the loop of my e530 and it's not bad at all. Not a lot of wiggle room on the gate; it's either working or it isn't. But for the price, can't argue. Not a damn thing wrong with it. Works great.

That being said, if I'm ever not broke again, I'm upgrading.