The "NAMM 2021" Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Dec 28, 2020.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

People say this a LOT for artists playing Epiphones, LTDs, PRS SEs, etc... But never really have proof its a thing.

I can see a hybrid approach though. A guitar prototyped and built in China, then sent to the US for inspection and setup. IIRC, at least with World Music, prototypes were made on a different part of the floor.

BigPhi84, Mathemagician and Zhysick like this.
  2. axil

axil nya

Hes not Matt Heafy, but Jeff Waters is also someone who had/has Epiphone Sigs that he actually uses. Im pretty sure he even turned down Gibson and went with Epi specifically for pricepoint reasons so Annihilator fans wouldnt break the bank.

I think these days its a bit of a harsh assumption that Epi endorsers dont play their own guitars, but maybe im out of the loop. Im more of an Ibby, ESP fella : )

XPT707FX, BigPhi84 and Zhysick like this.
  3. MFB

MFB Banned

Honestly, the two Epiphones I have right now play great, and I'm looking at swapping the 2019 SG for a Les Paul just because of the problem that all SGs have - neck dive. It plays great and looks killer, but when I actually play it, I'm killing my wrist.

I've had far more luck with picking a random Epiphone off the wall and plucking down several bills for it then I have looking at any Gibsons that were twice as much.

Wuuthrad and BigPhi84 like this.
  4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Epiphone with a professional fret job and setup probably plays better than your average Gibson from the factory anyway

I think the artists play the actual Epiphone but they are maybe a bit worked over especially frets so they play nicely

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Every artist should do this... with an Epi, a Gibson or an ESP. Unless you are paying more than 3k$ I would ALWAYS do a professional setup (including fret dressing/level, polish, etc.) if I were a professional musician. And if I am paying more than 3k$ for a guitar I won't do it because I would expect this was done in the factory before leaving, like an Aristides, a CS ESP, etc. so, probably would have to do it with several guitars in that price braket (but if it is needed then the brand... well, you know)

I mean, is your profession and it is your tool. You better have it in good condition to do the job. Unless you don't care...

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I don’t have any proof of those kinda shenanigans, but I do know that you can get a custom ESP and back when they had the drop down menus for options LTD was one of them.

I don’t recall ever seeing a one off with an LTD badge, but I could see artists getting really gnarly guitars, but with Ltd tags to promote their sig models. Like I said though, no proof and I kinda doubt it ever happened. But for sure, there is a lot more attention paid to their prototypes and personal guitars.

7. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

What I meant is that the guitar company probably does this "special care" before giving the guitar to the artist

Matt08642 and Zhysick like this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Ok, right, got it wrong.

"sponsored" prof tech setup before leaving the house... :lol:

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I meant more like “artist endorses a piece of gear they don’t use/barely use” like a pedal, or amp, or w/e but in the studio and live it’s almost always something else.

I can’t imagine many guitarists not playing their sig guitar, unless it’s one of those $400 “sigs” that were common for big name artists with options at multiple price points.

And that Jeff Waters V is awesome.

Zhysick likes this.
  10. Trashgreen

Trashgreen SS.org Regular

11. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

perfect guitar to play this album on
    [​IMG]

asopala likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Man I loved Skid Row

WarMachine and Louis Cypher like this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Fuck. Kramer came out swinging with 80’s cheese. Love it.

Wuuthrad and Zhysick like this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang, even the rosewood FB (the bane of my existence) looks good on that thing. I SHOULD be in here talking about how cheesy the airbrushed graphics are, how the rosewood poo brown sucks, and a million other things about that. But I'll be damned if that's not a hot looking guitar. I bought a Lynch Kamikaze last year, out of nostalgia, and never even play the thing, so I shouldn't buy this. But, they did a great job on the specs. 100% 1980s, but appeals 100% to 2021 me.

15. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

In all reality, those production models are fine enough guitars with a solid set up and most bands started with that level guitar. The artist has a lot more to gain if they’re in a decent sized band and playing an affordable version of their own sig. They’re going to sell more if they’re playing the guitar and not just the inspiration for it.

Mathemagician, BigPhi84 and Zhysick like this.
  16. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

those were announced already for 2020....kind late release but with covid's s***t....finally they're here.

Hollowway and Zhysick like this.
  17. Celtic Frosted Flakes

Celtic Frosted Flakes SS.org Regular

I've wanted a snake for a year now, so finally I can get one. Or at least try one since I am sceptical about the quality of Kramers.

Hollowway likes this.
  18. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

I'm waiting for the Kramer Nightswans with the Aztec finish to come out. Heard about them last Summer and asked my Sweetwater rep about them. Been on pre-order for quite a while and the release date keeps getting pushed back. I'll keep waiting-wanted one back when I was in High School (@ the end of the 80's) so waiting a bit longer won't hurt.

olejason and Mathemagician like this.
  19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Given I don't even think they've been shown publicly you probably have a long wait yet.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The final version MHK sig guitars will have black Fluence pickups with the gold stripe, and the 7-string MKH sig is going to have a longer scale length. Guitar also has a thinner neck.

Also seems like he's going for a chambered/weight relieved body.

Mathemagician likes this.