The mighty and undefeated M80M!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Guitarjon, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I've had this guitar for a couple years now and still, everytime I pick this thing up it feels and sounds sooo good! To this day I have not owned or played an 8-string guitar that is so solid. The one I have is a near perfect instrument aside from some small flaws from the factory. I used to also own another one but that one sounded a little less solid. Maybe because of the fact that the body was made out of 3 pieces instead of 2 like the one I still have now.

Anyway, let's share some music and/or videos that you guys have of this model! I would love to see and hear what kind of tones you guys have been conjuring with this beast. It has such a signature sound that I'm very curious if we all sound similar playing it haha. I myself just released a new song with my M80M. Heavy riffs but melodic vocals.

Now share yours! :)

RobPhoboS, Oblivium, Ribboz and 9 others like this.
  2. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

I haven't got time to watch the video, but I just want to say thanks for all the awesome content you make. When I finally upgrade from my Boss Katana, it's going to be to the Helix, and it's in no small part due to your videos.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    Hey there. Nice to hear your singing. Pretty nice vocals there, a bit retracted IMO, but very nice. Allow me to explain, retracted in a way that it seamed to me they were too close / restricted to the rhythm the guitar was laying around, this at least in the first part of the song. As I was typing this, however, you surprised me (us) with some growls and FX over the vocals. Nicely made, must say.

Nevertheless, the thread is about the guitar, so... generally, 8 stringers with dirt amp sounds tend to sound very similar to me, no matter what "style" is being played... or maybe, that's the djent kind of tones. It doesn't really appeal to me this, for it's all over the place and then it becomes difficult to identify who is who or what is what. A low string chug based riff is like the 1, 4, 5 progression in pop rock and similar fast and easy listening radio hits. It just bores me like I'm hearing always the same thing. That's were AAL and the following gents scored, they do have that kind of stuff, but they don't base their entire songs on it. Your playing is awesome, what you do is spot on, well executed and produced, it's just my understanding of things.

These guitars, however, never caught my eyes for 2 reasons. One is dimensions, I have small hands and am a small guy, the other is the lack of available tones. My guitars have really different tones to play with, coming out of 2 hums, with coil splits and blends between them and that's just how play, nothing wrong with one trick pony as long as they their trick flawlessly, just not my thing.

Rock On and thanks for your postings!

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I appreciate all the comments, so cheers!

About the guitars: the M80M certainly isn't for everyone. The neck is big and obviously very long. I can also see why people don't like the fact that it only has one pickup. I also have a Schecter C8 Hybrid with a neck pickup but I usually stay on the bridge pickup anyway. That Schecter is great but it just can never sound as 'epic' as the M80M. The Ibanez just does that 8-string sound that I hear in my head oh so well, and yes, Meshuggah planted that in my head hahaha. I remember getting my first 8-string just when the first production 8-strings came out in 2007 or 2008 (RG2228). It was a cool guitar but I always seemed to have fret buzz issues with the 27 inch scale for F# and F. Also owned a couple other 27 inch 8's that also had the same issues. I know it can be done on that scale length though but for my personal taste the 29.4 inches is just perfect!

odibrom likes this.
  5. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I just got mine last week and am absolutely loving it. It's my 3rd 8-string guitar, I've got an RG2228 and also a Kiesel Z8X. I tune the bottom two strings down to E an A on all of them. The tone on the M80M is really something else and unlike any other guitar I've played. The low strings are just so crisp, it makes it really satisfying and pleasant to play on. I don't really mind the scale length at all, it does change what I can play a little bit, but that's almost the whole point of the guitar.

odibrom and Guitarjon like this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Awesome!! Did you get a brand new one? Which brand and gauges of strings have you been using so far? I've always used Elixir 9's with a 52 for the Bb and 70 bass string for the F. Also works fine for stuff like drop-Eb.

7. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I got a demo model from Sweetwater. Not sure what strings, I assume the default ones.

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Show us some pics!! :)

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

I absolutely loved the tone of mine. It was so clear and articulate, almost piano like. The scale was a bit too much for me any my small hands, but it wasn't unplayable though like some people make it out to be. If I was more into 8 strings I might have kept it, and still might get one again when I got money to burn to have an extra guitar laying around.

Guitarjon likes this.
  10. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I'll take some pics when I have the chance and make a thread. Right now I only have the ones Sweetwater sent me. Looks as you'd expect :) I'm not sure what you meant in your post about 2 vs 3-piece body, as far as I can tell the body is all one piece?

211P02I190215765-angle-xlarge.jpg 211P02I190215765-front-xlarge.jpg

vozhyk and Guitarjon like this.
  11. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

SWEEET! That thing looks sick! I think it's a 2 piece but I'm not sure. The border between the 2 pieces seems to be somewhere between the volume knob and the bridge. Either way, it looks killer!

12. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Yeah I think I see what you mean, doesn't really matter to me either way, I love it :)

They were selling it as a demo because of a ~1" dent along the top edge, but honestly if they didn't mention and point it out in the picture I probably would not even have noticed. The indentation is very shallow and there's no finish damage at all.

Guitarjon likes this.
  13. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yeah I wouldn't sweat it! Mine is a 2 piece and it sounds huge. Looks like you got a great deal there! :)

14. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I had a closer look last night out of curiosity and it seems it's actually 3 piece. You can hardly tell from the front and back but it's pretty obvious if you look at the end of the guitar or in the cut-aways. Again, I don't really care either way, it was just an interesting observation :) I was playing it last night and this thing just absolutely slays. I love it.

Guitarjon likes this.
  15. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of my guitars are made out of multiple pieces and they all sound great!

16. Krauthammer

Krauthammer SS.org Regular

that breakdown at 2:24 then the hard shuggah riffage at 3:08 just hits hard sir. Very excellent writing and song flow. Vocals kick ass too mate! keep it coming :frantic:

Guitarjon likes this.
  17. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Cheers! :)