The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hollowway, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Nope, but IIRC (used to know almost everything about star wars) Jango was orphaned because a Mandalorian raid. They took him in and raised him as a Mandalorian. He was one of the few survivors after the Mandalorian-jedi war. Mandalore himself was already dead when Jango was still young. And their home planet was destroyed.
    Could be wrong, this is just in the back of my head. The PS2 game "Bounty hunter" focused on Jango Fett's story before Ep. I.

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The last episode reminded me of the format shows I used to watch a kid like The A Team, Xena, Hercules etc used. Which I presume was from old Western shows with the lone wanderer riding into a town in need of help.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I thought about why I enjoyed the series, and how Faverau has made a Star Wars series that harked back to the feel of the original film and it was staring right in front of me.

Faverau used the same inspiration that George Lucas did and took ideas from classic samurai films and using the storytelling method of less is more. In this case, and I swear I wish I realised it sooner; that The Mandalorian is basically Lone Wolf And Cub. Perhaps even more on the nose than how A New Hope draws heavily from The Hidden Fortress. Hell, Ep.4 is The Seven Samurai in the form of 90s Hercules/Xena TV. Faverau knows his film, and I'm sure going back to the classics for inspiration was deliberate.

budda likes this.
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Correct, there's nothing else for people to call it.

setsuna7 likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:

I'm two episodes in. I'm really enjoying it, but I have a few quibbles.

The Mandalorian's first bounty at the start, the blue faced guy... Idunno, like you get used to a specific sort of character in a Star Wars movie or show in this case, and they're all, well, a little ridiculous and a little over-formal. The dialogue here is all wrong, too casual, too easy going, too joking around. Even when Han Solo jokes in the original trilogy there's a foirmality and rigidity there - everyone is very serious, and this guy is not. It was just jarring, and considering the massive internet backlash to the opening of The Last Jedi I'm surprised I haven't heard more of a negative reaction to this. Meanwhile, to be fair, the Bounty Droid was right on the nose for a Star Wars character, just ridiculous enough to feel right.

This is beautifully shot. Too beautifully shot. Again... Idunno. It feels more artistic than I was expecting in ways that I'm simultaneously enjoying but feeling a little jarred by it - it keeps pulling me out of the universe when I'm thinking "man, whoever planned out this shot was really thinking about it."

Why does Baby Yoda just follow the Mandalorian, no questions asked? Like, this dude just shot up all his protectors, so he just goes with them? They don't seem to have been holding him hostage.

The Mandalorian's voice sounds SO familiar. :lol: Best line so far, two episodes in - "We have him four to one!" "I like those odds."
    Baby Yoda IS fucking adorable, though.

6. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Honestly, most of the time I don't even notice its Star Wars. Its just a really good space western for me. Like high plains drifter. But with blasters instead of revolvers and spaceships and speeders instead of horses. Its a well done show. Maybe more arty that gritty. But I'm honestly enjoying it as an arty western.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

"That was new!" "It was." - everyone here after the first ding on their gear :lol:

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

It's Pedro Pascal. Aka Oberyn Martell.

9. budda

I couldn't figure out until the credits why I recognized the mechanic's voice in ep. 5. Given my love of Bojack, I'm ashamed.

10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I always thought Boba Fett was this badass guy doing what the fuck he wants. Picking out his own clothes and stuff. Now you're telling me he's part of some kind of "Mandalorian" collective that all dress up the exact same way?

Hmmm....

I don't know....

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

that's a trope they stole from Kurosawa's 7 Samurai/ Yojimbo and Lone Wolf/Cub actually. I got serious 7 samurai vibes from episode 4 with mando trying to train up the peasants to fight a superior force.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I think the series is great. Is everything the movies could have been. That said didn’t love ep5. The setting was super cool but it was very light on any actual
    Plot.

13. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Apparently not, at least I can't recall the movie mentioning that, so I guess Disney can just freely decide that they were still out there.

Oh my you'll have to entlighten me here, I also greatly enjoyed Bojack so I wanna know !

Well at least he dresses like his dad, and Mandalorians are pretty established in the extended universe (and are always protrayed with this T-shaped visor). Disney takes lots of liberties with the extended universe (not necessarily a bad thing mind you), but here they remained relatively in line (the whole blacksmith stuff is new as far I know though).

For me, the reference is the excellent KOTOR I and II games, they're a bit old but the stories are pretty good. Especially II which introduces a lot of nuances to the whole light side / dark side business. There's also a lot about the trauma of war...and actually the "bad guys" in the war in question are the Mandalorians (like an entire space legion of them) then after that war they become an outcast tribe with martial traditions who make a living as mercenaries or bounty hunters.

AxeHappy and Choop like this.
  14. budda

Exchanger likes this.
  15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

@Electric Wizard I’m starting to feel a little bit of what you were saying about things being too neatly packaged in each episode. I finally watched 4 and 5 tonight, and it definitely felt that way. I REALLY hope there is more than just baby Yoda to give this a serial feel and a longer arc. In a lot of shows the bad guy is around for the entire season (like the Netflix Marvel shows, Dexter, etc). But thus far each episode can nearly stand on its own. I’m wanting something to make me jones for the next week.

16. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Well, the neckbeards will tell you "BoBa Is Not a TrUU MandALoriAN!" and furthermore this show has nothing to do with Boba Fett so... yeah.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Huh, that's awesome. He was an unexpected high point of GoT.

Hollowway likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels also have a lot of lore surrounding the mandalorians.
    Basically the theory is that the Mandolorian is a follower of Deathwatch traditions (an extremist/traditionalist sect of the mando'ade).
    This vid is really good at explaining mandalorian culture/history, etc:

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

One thing I keep coming back to, five episodes in.

Pretty much EVERYONE drops everything to help Baby Yoda. The Mandalorian violates the code of the bounty hunter to go back and rescue Baby Yoda, when he's supposed to act like he doesn't even remember the bounty. The scientist he finds the child with seemed legitimately concerned for his well-being and for keeping him as safe as possible. Amy Sedaris's character, a hardened callloused mechanic mostly interested in how much money she could get from the Mandalorian, also becomes super protective of Baby Yoda, takes some big risks trying to protect the child, and was going to not charge the Mandalorian for the maintenance work before he pays her anyway. Heck, even the aliens we find Baby Yoda with are dead-set on protecting the child from bounty hunters, for no clear reason.

I can't shake the feeling that this is somehow subversive, like Baby Yoda is bending people to its will. Like, with something other than those huge eyes. :lol:

20. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

After episode 5 ( which was useless honestly ) i wonder where they gonna take the story
    I like the first 2 but after that it doesnt take off yet....

Hollowway likes this.