The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hollowway, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Why are we not talking about this, yet? I just subscribed and watched the first 3 episodes. This show is really, really good. (If you’re not watching it, sign up and watch the first 4 episodes (which is all there is atm), and you can cancel in 7 days. But, it’s only $7/mo, and free if you have Verizon unlimited.)

I mainly just think it’s cool that the Boba Fett type character gets a show. For someone who was just an after thought in the trilogy, it’s cool to see his cult following rewarded like this. I’m hoping they incorporate at least a little of this in future Star Wars films.

2. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

I've seen all four episodes. For surethat it's the best thing Disney has done since they bought the franchise. A lot better than the latest shit movies

Hollowway and setsuna7 like this.
  3. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

This. For me though, this is my favorite of all the canon universe since Empire Strikes Back.
    Jon Favreau did an amazing job!!

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I’m two episodes in and loving it! It’s way better than any of the 4 new films and recent TV shows.

Packed full of fan service but in a really good way that makes me smile and think this is exactly how I imagined it as a kid.

5. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

One of my "issues" with TV Shows is when they look "cheap" and the Stories are also "cheap". First EP was meh at best then it got much better on 2nd and 3rd then here comes Sunday afternoon all family Ep4... At least he didn't removed the Mask and engaged with the other character (i´m avoiding spoilers).

setsuna7 likes this.
  6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

This show is awesome! Only quibble is that Ep. 4 felt like an episode of StarGate or something and not necessarily in a good way.

7. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

In line with the previous 2 posts, some plot points are super cliché (also the blacksmith's helmet would belong more in Snyder's 300). All in all the series is not bad but it's not mind blowing either.
    I actually preferred the movies (even though they also have their imperfections too) especially the Last Jedi since this one actually twisted a lot of codes and expectations imho.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I watched them this weekend. I dont know the extended universe but I enjoy a good story. Favreau seems to be doing it justice.

9. Hollowway

Yeah, crazy that Favreau is doing this. I didn’t know he was until the credits at the end of Chapter 1. I threw off my headphones and went running into the other room to tell my wife. That dude (Favreau, not my wife) has a way of showing up in just about all the fun stuff I’m watching these days.

As for the story, there are a couple of cliche type things, but they’ve also avoided a couple I thought for sure were coming. Overall I just want to put it in, gesture at it with an outstretched arm, hand open and palm up, and say to George Lucas, “Would it really have been hard to give us this? Would this really have been more difficult than the prequel movies you did? This is all we were asking for.”

FILTHnFEAR, budda and setsuna7 like this.
  10. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Dude, this TV show is sick! Not to mention a huge bonus is watching all Disney movies I grew up watching with my 7 year old daughter!

I was a few beers in after work and cheered at the TV seeing all the other Mandalorian help Mandalore in chapter 3! Chapter 4 was kind of slow, but still good.

And have you guys seen all the hilarious Baby Yoda memes on Facebook? They're all pure gold lol

11. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

I'm enjoying the show, and I think it succeeds in a grittier, slice of life kind of look at the star wars universe. Also really enjoying the score. I think it's difficult to come up with memorable music when you're competing with the John Williams score, and the creepy space spaghetti western thing really nails it.

I thought chapter 4 was a little weak though. Too much of a Star Trek episode where everything wraps up at the end and everyone is ready for another adventure next week. That format isn't necessarily bad but the first three didn't follow it. I'm still a little worried that the series will shape up like Rogue One, which hooked me early on with the atmosphere but went on to have a dull story IMO.

Still looking forward to more. Never expected to be more invested in a tv show than a new star wars movie.

12. Hollowway

:lol: Right there with you! I was like, “Yes! Kick some ass!” Anything else would have seemed ridiculous for him to get out of that situation.

13. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Loving this show. I find myself looking forward to Friday every week, and not because I'm starting the weekend.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I find it funny that I’ve heard vastly more chatter about this show among students at the college I work at than any of the movies. People really love that Baby Yoda!!

thesnowdog, Hollowway and budda like this.
  15. Hollowway

We’re all calling “the child” baby Yoda, but watch Favreau punk us, and introduce adult Yoda in one of these episodes, right next to this baby. Millions of memes will cry out in terror, and be suddenly silenced. :lol:

Manurack and setsuna7 like this.
  16. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I haven’t seen any episodes yet, but...

Yoda was 900 years old (give or take) when he “died”. I assumed everyone’s calling it “baby Yoda” because we don’t know the name of the race.

17. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'm in Europe and all those pirate sites I used to watch series are down so I can't watch.......

18. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

The timeline being after episode VI, Yoda is already dead, so unless they re-incarnate Dalai Lama style it cannot be him.

19. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Eh? Wasn't the Mandalorian clan dead during the original trilogy? Jango Fett was one of the last ones IIRC.

20. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Jango is not a Mandalorian.

Manurack and FILTHnFEAR like this.