The long awaited arrival of the death machine. NBD!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by CaptainLuckeyBeard, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

WTF happened with that case, anyway? Is this the first guitar case they've built?

2. Les

Les Curl of the Burl

Congrats on the NBD, I'll say im glad its actually FINISHED in your hands this time. Also glad your happy with it.

3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Great googly moogly, are you kidding? Those are great pics. I really get a 3D feeling from them.

:greatkat:

...but more importantly...: that's a BASS?!?!?

4. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Output jack? I'm sure it works but that just looks sloppy/lazy....and there really is A LOT of that going on with this bass. I'm sorry but I don't think this is a well made instrument, there are just numerous minor and several potential major issue's with it. I really don't mean to rain on your parade because as long as your happy that really is all that matters and I do actually really like the shape/design/concept but if i'm being honest I cringed at almost every picture...

ps: I just wanted to say again I really don't mean to bring down the NBD and debated not posting at all but I've been following this build from the beginning and wanted to say something now that its finished.

5. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

I read through the build thread as it was going down and was pretty worried for you, man. Seeing the other basses that had come from this luther, yours looks like a real step forward in his work. My Legator wasn't perfect but I've ended up bonding with that thing hardcore, so really all that matters is that YOU like it in the end.

And honestly that colour is amazing and I really dig the headstock. HNBD!

6. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

If we're going to start listing issues...
    -Poor masking lines at the heel
    -Poorly fit cavity covers
    -Rough neck glue joint
    -Various dents (heel especially)
    -Output jack overhang on the back (and not curved to properly fit the body if you look at the front)
    -Second tuner on the right overhangs the headstock binding
    -12 Fret inlay (my favorite part, actually, looks pretty good) is too far to the bass side of the fretboard
    -The black side masking is uneven and wobbly across the entirety of the guitar
    -The actual shape of the body is wavy throughout, like he tried to work it on a narrow spindle sander
    -The dot inlays aren't straight (just compare them to the second string on the first picture)
    -The edge of the fingerboard has been rounded over unevenly during the fretting
    -The knobs are so close together that they seem very difficult to actually use while playing

Could I make better? Probably not, and my efforts might be pretty similar (if not worse). That said, I don't sell guitars.

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Not gonna jump on board with any negativity. I will say though that I'm pleasantly surprised at how the color turned out. I was worried when it seemed like the beautiful woods were going to be barely visible!

8. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

As expected there is a lot wrong with the bass, but I'm definitely glad you are happy.

9. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

As others have stated, there are so many things wrong with that. As someone above stated, I too cringed at every photo. Oh well, glad you're happy with a horribly sub-par "custom" bass that I can easily say is not worth anywhere close to what you paid. Do you have really low expectations or are you just in denial?

On a positive note, thanks for showing people this "loothier's" terrible work and now we all know to stay far away from anything built by him.

Rev2010 likes this.
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

I hope you didn't pay a lot for something that looks like a persons first handful of instruments. Maybe a few hundred dollars I hope? If not, you better start demanding some money back, because there's just a lot of poor craftsmanship going on there.

11. asher

asher So Did We

I have no idea how a case that doesn't fit quite right causes dings on the backside heel carve like that.

12. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

It's because it didn't. :)

13. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

Before anything, glad you are happy with it. That's the most important thing.

I like the shape and inlay, cool looking design.

The only thing I don't understand is how it is okay to accept a new, custom made guitar you paid thousands of dollars for, for it to come damaged and with issues?

I'm absolutely sure that if you went to your local music shop to buy a new production guitar, and you found one that had flaws, dents, crooked neck laminates, finish issues, etc. that you would not buy it. Heck, i wouldn't even buy a CD if the case was bent. If I would have received this bass, I would have sent it for a refund. I understand how long you've been waiting (I followed your build thread) but I don't see that as a justification to accept clearly what you don't deserve.
    Your money deserves better. But all that aside, as stated above, if it makes you happy and you love the bass, then cheers my friend!

14. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Please please please don't gloss over issues with this instrument to spite the naysayers. If it's got problems, get them dealt with... don't just sweep them under the rug. You'll only look like a fool in front of everyone else... nobody will fault you if you say "I was wrong, this isn't up to standards". Emperor's new clothes and all that.

15. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

If you aren't just in the honeymoon phase then you are absolutely nuts for even considering buying a second instrument from the same luthier given the flaws that this one has. Actually trading away a, presumably, functional instrument for one is foolish. This bass should not and would not have made it out of the door if you were working with a decent luthier with any sense of quality control.

16. ArchonicYordi

ArchonicYordi Active Member

Im very curious to hear how it sounds, because thats the important part after all.

17. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

I looked at his fb page.. Yikes. The one guitar you can see the strings right at the edge of the fretboard... Someone commented on it. He said, " well I roll the edges of the frets." Apparently that makes up for shoddy craftsmanship and will keep the strings from being pulled over the side of the fretboard....

18. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

I will say that the natural finished superstrat has a nice shape... The rest?

19. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

There is alot of things wrong with this... Kinda reminded me the whole ROTER deal. Main thing that's obvious even at first glance is the thinnest string is WAY too close to the edge of the fretboard. Just looking at the bridge side You see it's too far away from the other strings. That throws me off any instrument because it's not aesthethics anymore, it's a technical/structural issue.

20. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

on top of everything that has already been mentioned, it looks like he got down to shaping the very last part of the neck join and just gave up. you can see it clear as day, that's the spot where the clock ticked over to 5pm on Friday afternoon and he dropped his tools and went to the pub, then came back on Monday morning and started on the next part of the build without finishing what he started, without giving a .... about the fact that a 12 year old Chinese slave working in a Fender factory could have done better with one hand tied behind their back.

And that's cool with you?