The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Thread

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Scar Symmetry, May 22, 2009.

1. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

All hail the greatest game ever made! :bowdown:

[​IMG]

I've played and owned a lot of games in my time and I'm a new school kinda guy (my current fave games are Resi Evil 5 and Gears of War 2) but nothing has ever, ever come close to this game. It's just magic.

The other day I found a copy of the November '98 issue of N64 magazine in my room which reviews the game and they made a prediction: "will there ever be a game that betters this? no, probably not. but they will have fun trying."

10 years down the line and they're still not wrong...

I think the only game that could ever top this is another Zelda game, but it would have to be PERFECT.

sami and poopyalligator like this.
  2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Personally, I didn't care for the N64 Zeldas.

Link to the Past for Super Nintendo = awesome
    Windwaker for Gamecube = fucking WIN. :metal:

Haven't played Twilight Princess yet. Watched my ex girlfriend play it for a while, and it just seemed like it was more of the same. I think Nintendo's first party titles might have peaked @ the Gamecube. I personally don't think they can make Zelda any better than Windwaker, and you can't make Metroid any better than Prime. Lord knows Mario peaked at 64....

Anyway, I'm with you that this is one of the best series of games EVER, but I gotta disagree on the specific iteration -- entirely too many 'uhm... WTF am I supposed to do now?!' moments. ;)

3. sol niger 333

sol niger 333 I like stuff

Whoooly shit. I did the voice over for this game. It was my first voice job ever and I was 17. This game not only rules but was responsible for starting my 12 year career as a voice over. All hail the legend of Zelda!!!

4. Scar Symmetry

^ um, what? :scratch:

5. sol niger 333

sol niger 333 I like stuff

I did the big film trailer voice on the ads for it when I was fresh out of school and doing an audio apprenticeship at a local studio. It was my first voice job ever and the nintendo guys took a chance on me. This game gave me a foot in the door and started my "career" in a way. Crazy shit haven't thought about it in years. Very grateful I am even though its only a game. Had it not been made I might be washing dishes right now.

6. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

This and Metal Gear Solid are tied for my favorite game of all time!

7. Scar Symmetry

you got vids? post plz :D

8. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

9. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

YES.

Windwaker is easily the best Zelda game. I get sick of the "Omg, too much sailing!!!" argument because most of the people who say that like OoT better... even when it has retarded controls. Still a good game though.

10. Scar Symmetry

retarded controls? :scratch:

care to elaborate?

11. synrgy

I feel like ALL RPG-ish games have the 'too much sailing' element.

Sometimes it's walking around the same places ad-nasuem (FF, Zelda), sometimes it's driving a vehicle around 'different' planets ad-nasuem (mass effect) sometimes it's basically thousands upon thousands of rounds of cut and paste combat (FF), and on and on.....

What makes or breaks them for me is what's going on beyond that issue that they all seem to share..

12. Thin_Ice_77

I'm actually not a fan of RPGs in general. I found FF 7 (the one that everyone raves about) boring. My ex-girlfriend lent some Japanese one on gamecube in an attempt to change my mind but I stopped playing it after about half an hour. I agree with what you're saying, most show little to no originality.

I'll go back to my Serious Sam :lol:

13. Scar Symmetry

14. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, unfortunately RPG's do have several downfalls like wandering around the same place or driving a vehicle around; but still, it seems kind of needed versus just having you go to a million different places for like 5 minutes at a time instead of doing a bunch of stuff in one community

15. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

A link to the Past > OOT

16. Scar Symmetry

17. synrgy

I think you've been responsible for one or two derails yourself, my friend. ;)

OoT had cool concepts, but too much of it felt tedious to me. There were also *several* parts that were key to progressing through the game that I would *never* have figured out without some version of strategy guide. I think some of that is a 'lost in translation' issue, where if I had maybe played the original Japanese version and could read Japanese there probably would have been more hints for me to pick up on. Hard to speculate, I guess..

18. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

Of the 3D games, Majora's Mask is definitely my favourite. The Zelda games can get a bit samey, but this one mixed stuff up enough to be fun all the way through. Just came out on the Wii's Virtual Console too if you feel like grabbing it:yesway:

Wind Waker is awesome, right up until the Triforce fetchathon crap towards the end. Twilight Princess is basically Ocarina Of Time part 2, and starts really slowly, to the point where I haven't finished it because I accidentally deleted my savefile and it takes 3-4 hours just to get past the basic tutorial stuff:wallbash:

I do wanna say that fans of the 3D Zelda games should definitely grab Okami for PS2/Wii, it's very much in the style of the Zelda games and absolutely fantastic in its own right.

I was worried that you were gonna say you were the voice of that goddamn fairy for a second:lol: That's a pretty lucky break, kudos:yesway:

19. Thin_Ice_77

^^ My brother mentioned that to me about Majora's Mask. He'd been searching for it for ages, apparently it's ridiculously hard, is that true?

20. Scar Symmetry

not solely responsible as if I do you're more than happy to help me along! while we're off topic, I saw Star Trek the other day and Eric Bana was dreadful :ugh:

I know I had trouble finding my way through Hyrule when I was a kid but I was only 10. if the game came out now I'd have no problems finding my way :shrug: