The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

To the guys having pop issues: it might very well be a tube related issue. Replace one tube at a time by switching the stock ones with a good one that you know works to see when it stops. It helps to have el84's as well as 12ax7's in this case.

2. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

I use my IRT Studio with a Green Rhino and I love my tone.

3. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Just gonna throw it out there again that my ProtoDrive overdrive does amazing things for my laney ;)

4. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Thats what I thought it was and when I was on the phone with GC they insisted it was the cable even when I told them when I switched it on the amp itself it still made the pop. Ended up calling them back two days later before the cable even got here and told them it didnt work haha.
    One of the preamp tubes on the left that you can see through the vent never emitted a glow. I know some preamp tubes it is very hard to see and to be honest I wasnt sure if this was the case with the stock tubes but I figured i'll let them send me a new one instead of picking up some new tubes and troubleshooting it.

5. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

Vouching for our own RickyCigs on here!

Right now, he has an overdrive called the ProtoDrive that actually has been well received! A clean boost is currently in-the-making, and a bass overdrive is also coming soon!

Here is Rick's quick runthrough of info for the prototype of the ProtoDrive pedal:

One thing that I must mention is that the final version has a different layout/config than that of the prototype!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here are some demos that I threw together for the pedal.
    To save space in this thread, I'm just going to ask that you read the description of the videos, as opposed to me typing it all out or copy-and-pasting everything. The description of the videos contains all technical info and specs.

If you prefer Soundcloud as your medium, I'm also embedding Soundcloud audio clips below each YouTube video.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo-mid-gain-ambient-lead[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo-modern-lead[/SC]

This might not give you pedal GAS, but if you're in the market for a super versatile overdrive that really can put your classic Ibanez Tubescreamer or Maxon OD808 to shame and actually has some serious tone to it behind its flexibility, then stay tuned to Rick for more! And stay tuned to me for more as well!

AND YES, THIS WAS RUN THROUGH A LANEY IRT STUDIO.

6. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

So.....anyone cool to start sharing amp settings? (I still don't know jack-shit about dialing in tones.)

7. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

^ hi! i keep my settings fairly flat because it sounds natural and good to me that way. here are the settings i use on my IRT Studio -> matching 2x12 cab with my main guitar. i need to keep a fairly low volume because i live in an appartment that's neither too big or too soundproof (gotta work on that)

these settings i almost never change (only if i use a different guitar):

Dynamics : 9 o'clock
    Tone : +0.5
    Reverb : 5 when i use it
    Pre-boost : 2.5 (i like it light, and only use it when i want to add some extra saturation, especially when playing crunch or dirty blues kind of stuff, but barely for riffing, it kills a bit of the clarity)

on the clean and rhythm channel (when used as low gain crunch) :

Clean volume: 3 on 15W, 5 on 1W (good balance between high end sparkle and low volume)
    Rhythm volume: 4 on 15W, 6 on 1W
    Rhythm Gain: 4
    Bass: +2 alternating pulled or not
    Mids: +1 not pulled
    Treble: +1 pulled

Rhythm channel when used for metal riffing :

Gain: 7
    Volume: 3 on 15W, 5 on 1W (good balance between power and clarity)
    Bass, Mid, Treble, same as above, only sometimes i alternate between pulling out the mids as well

Lead channel :

Gain: 7
    Volume: 1.5 or 2 on 15W (depends on who's home and/or asleep), 3 or 4 on 1W (same)
    Bass: +2 pulled
    Mid: +1 pulled
    Treble: +2 pulled

Recently i've been finding myself playing more on the rhythm channel instead of the lead channel because it allows me to achieve a great metal tone at a much lower volume. i guess i will only use the lead channel when there's nobody home, or when i'll be jamming with other people.

i hope that helps!

8. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I'm going to be picking one of these up no doubt. All the videos and sound clips from Rick et al drove me to the point of gas. Also having Rick make me one of the protodrives.

9. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

Make sure to tell him that I sent you. ;)

10. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

11. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I've been followin rick since before he got his laney, back when we both were primarily pod users :D

12. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Ah, so you must be on the Facebook group with a lot of us, yes? (Your picture just looks familiar is all...)

13. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Yup! I definitely am.

My laney shipped out today, now to save for the od from rick. Gonna get a custom version :)

14. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

HEY! You'll be running the same rig as me! IRT Studio + ProtoDrive! Excellent choice, my good sir! :D

15. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Haha! Knew I was right! I never forget a face. (I'm just God-awful with names.)

Rick knows his shit (as evidenced by the videos above). I can't wait to get my pedal(s) from him. He's got a clean boost on the way as well as another super killer overdrive and a bass overdrive.

I'm more interested in seeing how your rackmount versions work out. ;)

16. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

It's going to be a 2 in one. It's going to be a protodrive + bass OD with I/O's for each. We're sticking all of the stomp buttons over to switches, and we're still working out the extra details. I am mainly going to use it with the IRT to model into my kemper, or when I have people who come to record with me who absolutely have to have analog amps (Got my dual sansamp rack setup for the same reason which is where the bass OD will come in handy).

I am really excited for the IRT, every person I know who has had one has had nothing but good things to say about it, and watching all sorts of video reviews only makes me want one more.

17. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

I feel like a total 'tard because I must be the only one having problems with getting a good tone out of mine. v.v'

18. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

What is the setup that you are running it with? I figure we can get something going to where you like it.

19. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm assuming we've talked on facebook lol I don't have all the ss.org names sorted with the real names yet!

On a side note, I just posted the first pic of the clean boost ;) they start shipping next week!

20. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Hmm.... I see that the mods have added a title to my sig so they can ban me more easily in the future lol