The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Amp arrived today. Jammed for a few hours with the wattage low for bedroom use. Sounded great. She is a beast. Im looking forward to running this at max power and live volume

2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Cheated and took a pic of my settings:
    [​IMG]

The only knobs that are pulled are the bass on the rhythm channel and the mids on the lead channel. I run an MXR Custom Badass OD in front with the middle button in(Custom OD mode), level on 5, gain on 2.

3. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

...How would you describe the effect on tone that pulling each pot has? Good lord it's subtle...

4. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

I actually notice quite a bit of difference. Pull the knobs to shift the frequency, not sure the exact frequency numbers. But basically pulling the bass causes less "percieved bass" making the siund deeper and tighter. Pulling the mids causes less "percieved mids" gproducing a more scooped Tone. Pulling the treble shifts the high frequncies to more of a high/mid which essentially just adds some hair to the top end. Pretty cool features. Granted they are not huge differences but every little thing counts. Its the little things lol

5. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

The treble one I don't notice as much, possibly it would have more effect if I had single coils pickups? The mid one is a pretty big shift in frequency, and the depth boost adds a good amount of low end, enough that I turn the bass down with it on.

The biggest thing is that even though the knobs are marked -/0/+ the EQ is still passive. So if you really want to hear, say, the mid shift: put the knob on an extreme setting then switch it back and forth.

6. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

So ive been looking into a speaker swap, guys. I notice too much high end with the stock ironheart 2x12 with both my irt120 and 5150. Would v30's(wgs vet 30s maybe) be the general consensus? What ohms would i need on those as well?

7. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

hey guys, someone here is selling an IRT Studio head in good condition for 500$. considering he shipped it into our country it seems like a good price (i can assume he's selling it for half of what he originally paid).

i'm seriously considering it even though i don't really need it and have no cab to plug it in ... yet, i might eventually need an amp later on because i'm currently living on a friend's little Bugera amp with an AMT pedal of mine, i'll have to return it sooner or later.

IRT Studio, no cab, 500$, yes or no ?

8. rick_fears

I say no on the studio. They run for 599 New. You can find a better deal than that. I wouldnt go for it. But thats just me.

Here is how I have my irt120 setup. For some reason all my pictures are sideways lol oh well. Guitar>comp>od>isp deci>irt120>loop-gate>eq>pod x3 (delay volune control etc)-end loop>Vader 412

DSC_0222.jpg

9. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Anyone care to comment on whether the 60 or 120 would be a better head? Is there much of a difference tonally?

10. rick_fears

Never Played a 60. The only downside to the 120 that I can tell is the cost of replacing tubes. The way I see it I can dial my 120 down to a 60 if I want and have the 120 when I want more beef.

11. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

Toshiro...stole your settings. Me likey man.

12. Hedon09

Hedon09 SS.org Regular

Did a Booster Test with my Ironheart 120 Head today. I dare to say (I might receive a beating for this) that it's going in Rectifier-Directions.:hbang:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/hedon09/laney-ironheart-boost-test[/SC]

Personally I like the unboosted example (first one) best. What do you think?

Signal Chain:
    Schecter Hellraiser 007 Special Edition > OCD Clone (Booster) > Laney Ironheart > TAD F.A.N.T.A. Cab Sim > Blackheart 1x12 Cab with WGS Retro 30 Speaker > Superlux pra 628 & Samson C01 > Presonus Audiobox 44VSL > Reaper

3 tracks for 1 guitar, 2 (all in all 6 tracks) guitars panned 100% left & right

1. No boost, 2. Ironheart internal Boost, 3. OCD Clone Boost

Riffs were written by Ryan Bruce (Fluff on Youtube)

13. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish SS.org Regular

All three sound great, but I prefer the unboosted :yesway: With the proper EQ settings (and pickups) this amp is already super tight and gainy, IMO. I think the unboosted sounds ... meatier? But really, you can't go wrong with any of those options, which is why I love this amp.

14. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Just noticed this thread! Had my irt studio for a few weeks and I'm loving it more and more every day.

Here's the first full demo I did! This was using the lead channel with a maxon od808

Think Again

15. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Your tracks sound a bit off. That said I think they all 3 basically sound the same, which is odd. In person my IRT60 doesn't even sound close to the same when my boost is on vs. off. It's a whole other animal entirely.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Am i the only one that runs most of the pull pots out on this amp!? haha.

Everyones tone settings have them mostly all still in whereas mine are the opposite?

17. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

I only have the deep knob pulled on the rhythm channel. I don't care for what the others do for the tone. I only use it through impulses rather than a cab though.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I suppose its dependant on preferred tone and also what guitar/pickups sound like. :hbang:

I havent had an in depth play about yet so mine probably will change for live etc

19. Hedon09

Hedon09 SS.org Regular

@TeeWX:

You're right :) the tracking is a bit sloppy and the differences between the three samples are quite subtile. I wasn't going for a different tonal character. The internal boost is only on 3,3 while the level of the OCD is set to about 1 o'clock. Therefore both are only adding a little bit of saturation. The internal boost focusses more on the low mids while the OCD gives you more gain in the mids, depending on the setting of the tone-knob. It's not acting like a tubescreamer on this example.

@Lewis:
    i run my bass and middle pots pulled in Rythm&Lead-Channel

20. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

Got my first Laney Wednesday so I suppose I can come here now and snag people's settings to try out, haha.

It's just a baby but it says Ironheart on the front. :lol: