The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I did some more testing. I revise wwhat I said. Also my tubes aren't stock.

I also have the bass low, if the eq is pre gain that could explain it. Its not clipping on mine but I know if the gain is on ten it will get muddy with boost over two.

2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

The EQ is definitely post gain, the bass control would be muddy regardless of the pre-boost otherwise. The block diagram(while far from a schematic) in the manual confirms this.

Whatever works for you though. I'll stick to my MXR in front and the boost off permanently. :)

Keep in mind that this amp, like the GH50/100L, has an internal bias trim pot, and the switch on the back is only getting the amp set up for use with a tube type. It does not auto-bias. I remember the variance on my GH50L was enough that running EL34s without adjusting the trim pot would have burned them up very fast.

3. GoldDragon

Do you have the studio? It may respond different at extremes than a 60 thru 412. I am lovin the lead tone I get with boost. So clear and percussive.

4. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

No, I have the 60H, was one of the first to buy one.. :lol:

5. GoldDragon

I swapped all my preamp tubes that may have something to do with it, although it will get muddy with the gain on ten and the boost over two.

I think the boost works well if you are using it to drive the input gain stage to saturation and then use the gain knob for a little sparkle and grain. The boost knob is not useless, just another flavor of gain. Thats the great thing about this head, it does downtuned metal great, but also 80s metal, 70 crunch (power amp), super clean, blues breakup, and modern progressive shred.

6. GoldDragon

I have been using my IRT60h more and it has a ground loop with ANYTHING I put in the loop that is not battery powered. I thought it was my old effects processor, but now I have a GT100 and it does the same thing...

Everything is plugged into the same power strip, so I dont know how else I could remove the ground loop.

IS ANYONE ELSE ABLE TO USE A MULTI-FX IN THE LOOP OF THEIR IRT HEAD WITHOUT GROUND LOOP HUM?

7. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

You may want to check out a HumX. This thing is awesome for 2 amp setups, so it may be your solution:
    Ebtech - Audio Solutions

8. GoldDragon

Thanks. I didnt know about that. I have used their Hum Eliminator which goes inline with the cables and causes alot of tone loss.

9. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I'm thinking there can be only 1 ground, so if battery pedals work but your plug in gear does not, that is likely the culprit and HumX will clear it right up.

There could also be a +4 -10 problem going on. Maybe others will chime in for you...I don't own the amp but want to :hbang:

10. GoldDragon

I have a Tripp Lilte Isolation Transformer which powers the amp and the FX processor. So they should be on the same ground, and nothing else is in the circuit. I think the amp has a broken ground.

11. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

do you guys know about the warranty on the Laney Ironhearts? Do you need to fill out a registration or anything with Laney to make it valid? I didn't get any warrant card with my IRT STudio and was just wondering about it.

12. nlaplante

nlaplante SS.org Regular

I think it's one year at the store you bought it, with receipt of course.

13. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I was going to return it because of it farting out with high input gain and the slight popping noises it makes when switching the footswitch but it seems that is normal behavior for the amp. Still really happy with it though.

14. GoldDragon

If you put really hot preamp tubes in V1 and V2 (GT ECC83s) you don't have to turn the gain knobs up as much to get the grind you want. This transformed my amp. The stock preamp tubes are not that hot.

Its true that if you overboost the input, you can cause clipping (mud) in the second gain circuit. If you use alot of boost, you are limited how much gain you can use, but I would rather have the versatility over being foolproof.

Mine doesnt make popping on channel switches, but the pedal buttons are pretty loud.

Ericjutsu likes this.
  15. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

well I still get enough gain I think. I use a tube screamer in front anyways. Here is a new tone test I made with the IRT Studio and my Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 cab.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-test-2[/SC]

16. GoldDragon

Sounds great, so different from my music.

17. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Here is a new sound test using the 1W input and pretty low volume

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-test-1w[/SC]

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Thanks, you just sold me on one.

19. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

you're welcome. Glad I could help sway you in the right direction :shred: I love my set up right now. I can record either direct or through a cab at low volumes and have it sound good. I wanted more outboard gear. It's just more fun playing through real equipment rather than just software all the time. Even though TSE X50 v2.3 and Thermionik are awesome.

20. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

anyone here notice that the direct out volume is really low? I am running it in my DAW with an IR and the signal from the amp is super low even when I have the amps volume control at 5 on 15w input. I have to crank my mic pre level on my saffire pro 40 to halfway up to get the volume at a reasonable level.