The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Mine cant take high gain pedals though in the clean channel without crapping out. I do run a TS pedal in front of the lead channel and it sounds great like in the clip I posted.

2. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

i am saving up to get the IRT Studio. i have a question for those of you who own one.

does it make a good live and studio amp? i want to use it as my main live and practice rig. i plan on running it out to a QSC power amp, into my 4x12 with no fx. to replace my ENGL E530. i am concerned about it having enough gain. and sounding as good as all the videos ive seen at extremely loud volumes

3. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

A metalzone with the level dimed is hardly something an amp should take anyway. :lol: Unity gain is what you should go for in that situation, or about noon on the volume..

If it's anything like mine, then yes, high level signals like a pedal with output on 10 are going to clip the input in a bad way. Just the nature of the beast.

4. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

I have two IronHeart 120h.. the first thing i noticed about this amps was that its not possible to set the boost at noon and gain at more than noon.. if so, well, its gona sound like crap. I dont like that.. so my ironhearts are exactly the same as yours..

5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

that's so weird to me. I've never played an amp that does this. The metalzone was for a test. I don't plan on using it for my distortion although I do use it as a boost sometimes kinda like a tube screamer pedal to add more gain and tighten up the sound. It's strange that you can't use distortion pedals on the clean channel. I've never heard of an amp that doesn't let you use distortion pedals

6. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

is there anyone who has replaced the tubes in the Ironheart and have it respond better to high input gain?

7. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I know rick has changed the tubes on his, and he said it sounds tremendously better, so I'd imagine so.

8. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

Only simple option for changing tubes is to put in some EL34´s in there, the amp is BIAS adjusted for those from the factory, its done by the flick of the switch on the back of the amp..

But how ever, there is different kinda tubes when it comes to different brands of EL34 and thats where the difference of the sound starting to happen..

I hope you understand what i mean.. :D

9. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Swap out v1 or v2 with a high gain 12ax7, it will add gain.

10. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish SS.org Regular

I was hesitant to change out my preamp tubes because I figured Ruby tubes were of good quality, didn't want to drop the cash on replacements if it wouldn't be an improvement. Suppose it's not the most expensive experiment to attempt though, Tube Depot's warehouse is about a 15 minute drive from my home.

11. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

Yeah i think u are right.. if i am about to put in new tubes in one of my Laney´s it will have to be something that improves the whole god damn thing.. or else its not worth it..

12. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

A little late to the party, but yes I did. And it made a VERY nice difference. I wasn't overly surprised though as it came to the states from England, then all over Canada in -40 weather. Before that I was actually noticing volume changes from the original tubes about two months after I bought it. And this was during direct recording and the levels don't lie....

13. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I tried swapping lower gain tubes in V1, to try to make the boost useable. I have an 12AT7/ECC81, and an ECC832(first stage lower gain) that I tried. The ECC81 lowered the amp's gain too much for me, and the ECC832 took some punch away. The 81 did make the on board boost useable in it's full range without clipping the input, though.

I found that, for my needs, running a regular 12AX7 and a pedal OD was better.

I did put a full set of Tung-sol pres and a pair of Winged C 6L6s into the amp. I didn't buy them specifically though, just the tubes I had in my Engl Fireball before I sold it. :lol:

I kinda want to try some EL34s or KT77s in the power section, but I like the tone of the amp as-is.

14. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

So I got my replacement studio in today and its still making a pop sound however its not a violent as last time and its only when I switch to clean from lead or rhythm. Just wanted to see if anyone else's does the same thing :scratch:

15. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

mine does the same thing. It's the most noticeable when I continuously play as I switch.

16. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Yes the first one I got was horrible and this one isnt as bad but still noticeable. Might have to send this one back and hope that the third time is the charm. It sucks cause its a killer sounding amp

17. GoldDragon

I have found that you can crank the boost as long as you keep the main gain below 6. Once you go above 6 with the gain, the amount of boost you can use decreases exponentially. For my sound, I have the boost on ten and the gain on 6.

18. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

See, I find the boost to be muddy compared to an OD pedal, so I just do not use it at all. If I had my gain on 6, and boost on ten, it would not be pleasant to me. I actually run my gain on 6 with just the slight OD boost(2-gain, 5-level). :lol:

19. GoldDragon

i dime the tone and dynamics too. hella versatile. But im not doing metal, but progressive shred.

20. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I actually went and tried it: :wallbash: Clips out horribly on any type of chord or pedal-point riff. :( Pretty much the definition of why I don't think the boost is useful. With the gain above 5, about the highest I think the boost is usable is 4; and it doesn't do anything a tubescreamer based boost does, like tighten the low end. :(

To each their own I guess.

Wait, didn't you say this last week?

So, which is it; mud past a combination of 12, or fine with "16"(boost-10, gain-6)? Because I would have agreed with the above quote. :lol: