The Katatonia Megathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ilyti, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

It's about time, don't you think? We tend to have a new Katatonia thread every once in awhile, so rather than necrobumping someone else's thread, we should have a megathread where everything goes.

So far, what does everyone think of Uncrowned and Dethroned? I find it to be very decent music to play board games by. And it could be the way to get your indie pop friends into Katatonia.. which is what I used Cynic's Re-Traced for. The gentle way to introduce them to heavy music that's also interesting and/or complex.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Actually just listened to Uncrowned and Dethroned today. Its good for what it is. Dead End Kings was phenomenal though.

But yeah, have loved Katatonia since hearing them sometime around 2000, when I first heard "I Am Nothing" from Tonight's Decision (a piece of art in its own right). I actually have gotten a few friends into them by saying they're like the heavy metal equivalent of The Cure :lol:

3. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

Love early and modern Katatonia, about time they had their own thread - haven't listened to Uncrowned and Dethroned, I liked Dead End Kings, though they could've mixed things up a little more in my opinion.

4. Emil357

Emil357 SS.org Regular

Night's the New Day's gotta be their best album so far!

5. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

a Katatonia megathread is a good thing ! i've been listening to them since 2005 straight until now; every now and then revisiting all of their discography. i'm not gonna go so far to say they're in a decline but i still think Dead End Kings was a bit lackluster to me. i have yet to listen to Uncrowned and Dethroned though.

could it be i am biased towards those two records because of the departure of the Norrman brothers ? does anybody else share those feelings ?

6. Krullnar

Krullnar SS.org Regular

When I first heard Ghost of the Sun, I almost couldn't believe how much it rocked. It was one of those first time listens that made a huge, lasting impression. The lyrics are ....ing awesome- legit, god-tier awesome.

I dig most all their stuff, but Viva Emptiness holds that spot- the atmosphere to rocking ratio is perfect.

7. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Brave Murder Day or GTFO.

8. chassless

Brave Murder Day is the album that has had the most play time in my life, all things counted. too bad there's only so much of it.

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I thought Uncrowned and Dethroned was great. Really cool concept, can't think of anyone else who has given an entire album a remake like that. I don't like to get into the whole "but it isn't metal" mindset anyway. I thought Dead End Kings was awesome, and so was this one just in a different way. If it is good music is good, I don't care what category it fits in.

10. MrCthulhu

MrCthulhu SS.org Regular

I know nobody here has mentioned it yet, but I would have to say my favorite album by them is Great Cold Distance. Yeah I know it might not be what they started with, or what die hard fans of them wanted, but I really feel like the song writing is superb on that album. The vocals are the most stand out thing to me, on that album, compared to other albums, the melodies are so memorable. That being said, they are kind of like Tool to me, I pick and choose songs from random albums that I recognize as great songs.

11. Emil357

Emil357 SS.org Regular

Katatonia - New Night - YouTube

Could a man wish for moar musicalliteh?

I really enjoy Katatonia - but I really miss a lot of their tabs! I'm too lazy to play their stuff just by listening.

Now speaking of it - does anybody have guitar tabs for Night is The New Day or Dead End Kings? There are only a very few if any on da netz.. :scratch:

12. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of newer Katatonia. Viva Emptiness and onward is all good stuff; I think the production on the older material is mostly what makes it difficult to listen to, just sounds like they needed a proper producer which they have now.

13. chassless

i think NitnD is played in drop A# if i'm correct. i hope that helps !

and that guy too :

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I've made long effortposts on them in a few threads now so I don't feel like making another, not that anyone wanted to read one anyway!

LFDGD remains their high point imo. It was the first thing I heard by them, I blind bought it after hearing how awesome they were on all the metal forums I frequented it, and always heard them compared to Opeth (this was back when Opeth was still somewhat hardcore). I remember the first time I started playing it I was like HOLY .... THIS IS AWESOME through the intro to dispossession and then the second the vocals came in I was just like .....wtf. I was expecting them to have metal vocals or something since I had always heard of them in connection to bands like Opeth and MDB. It took me a while to get used to it and appreciate it. I still think it's their best album, maybe because it was what got me into them, but I think it also has most of their best songs on it. I love Viva Emptiness and everything since as well, but I think LFDGD has the best variety of killer songs on it. Dispossession, Chrome, Tonight's Music, I Transpire, and Future of Speech are all 10/10 songs imo, and Teargas/Sweet Nurse/We Will Bury You are wildly catchy.

15. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

I absolutely love the bonus track from Dead End Kings, The Act of Darkening

16. wankerness

Yep, the majority of their stuff starting with Viva Emptiness is either in C standard or drop Bb depending on the song. There's more drop Bb than C standard on the last album or two I'd say. I can't be ....ed to tune my guitar that far down. I tabbed a couple songs on Viva Emptiness and it was flop city cause I don't want to tune my 7 string up a half step and my 6 string is short scale!

17. wankerness

Really?

I trusted you you lied
    It's all I hear a f...ing lie
    I don't give a shit it's over now
    It's all I know you broke the vow

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES, THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

I do love that song, but man that chorus makes me cringe.

18. Emil357

Emil357 SS.org Regular

I thought I was the only one.. Gotta agree sooo badly on that one.. :ugh:

19. chassless

^ well if you take it that way it is annoying, but when you take a step back and look at the entire album with its entire themes of betrayal, dangerous relations and revenge i find that it all makes sense ...

20. Goro923

Goro923 Spanish Thrasher

Starting listening to them recently (don't know why it took me so long).

I'm kind of annoyed that the vocal tracks on D&U are the same exact ones from DEK. I was expecting them to be re-recorded to better fit the arrangements. But, money, I guess :scratch: