The iOS Amp Modeler App Thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Chuck, Sep 28, 2013.

1. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I signed up for both Windows and Mac- in the hopes that it would increase my chances of getting a spot. My wife will have to deal with me jacking her macbook pro for BIAS testing purposes. :evil:

2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I am brand new to Bias and I have a few questions. Hoping some of the live users could help.

I did read all 37 pages, it's been touched but I couldn't find an answer.

1) I find this a bit noisy. Especially when I import from Bias to Jamup. I'm considering buying the Merrow noise gate or something better than the free gate. ( I have lowered the inputs and outputs, still noisy)

Almost as if there's a delay for the gate to kick in if I stop playing real quick.

However, I read about the output selector. Headphones or Speaker. I haven't tested yet but which should I use and why.

I'm using Apogee Jam with lightning pin for iPhone 5s. I then have to use a 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the power amp and then power amp to my 4x12 cab.

2) Disabling Cab Sim.

At first I thought this was a must however it isn't. It works with it disabled and also with it enabled. To be honest it sounds better with it enabled. Any thoughts of why? Could it also be the output selector I'm using?

3) Footswitch.

How would I plug it in? Do I need the Sonic Port? The Apogee Jam has no line out and my headphone jack is being used to connect the power amp.

Thanks guys n gals.

Guitar, Apogee Jam, Bias/Jamup, Poweramp, 4x12 cab

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

NOICE! You guys get selected, be sure and let us know what you think! Signed up for Mac.....hopefully one or all of us get picked; be cool to be able to help test it...

4. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Ooooh yeah, I'm hoping to get a spot to test it. I'm itching to put it against the best that the PC has to offer- Guitar Rig, ReValver, Amplitube... ect.

5. I_CUM_BLOOD

I_CUM_BLOOD SS.org Regular

Hey guys I have a couple of questions. I've been following this thread and just gotten the jamup plug. Waiting for it to be shipped here.

1. What is the difference between jamup vs jamup pro xt vs bias?
    - JamUp XT (1 amp and 6 effects)
    - JamUp Pro XT (6 amps and 16 effects, racks and processors)
    - Bias (36 amps)

2. It seems like jamup is free but what are the limitations?
    - Above.

3. Is bias only for making your own amps?

4. Bias price got bumped up to about 25 bucks in my country, it was previously $13, should i wait it out to come back down?

My thoughts: Well if i mainly played metal, wouldnt it be best if i just bought the metal expansion pack with the free jamup XT as opposed to buying jamup pro XT?

Thanks in advance guys! Can't wait to start using these.

EDIT: Would be best if a FAQ could be set up at the first page of this thread. I tried to answer some of my questions.

6. Preacher

Preacher Lord of Beer

You guys are aware it was April 1st yesterday right...?

7. Riley

Riley SS.org Regular

Good thing the announcement was on March 31 then huh :rolleyes:

8. steinmetzify

1. What is the difference between jamup vs jamup pro xt vs bias?-JamUp=free version JamUp Pro=paid version with more stuff-BIAS=different app entirely, being able to make your own amp models or DL ones from the ToneCloud
    - JamUp XT (1 amp and 6 effects) Free version
    - JamUp Pro XT (6 amps and 16 effects, racks and processors) Paid version, better effects and more amps with more variety.
    - Bias (36 amps) Paid version, completely tweakable amp models, from cabs to tubes to mic placements etc...I consider this a must have for iOS guitar playing. It's a great app.

2. It seems like jamup is free but what are the limitations? The limitations are just the one amp, the 6 effects and the fact that that stuff isn't the best. Always seemed to me that this was more of a 'trial version' if you will...just to see if you thought it was worth it to buy the full version, if you liked the UI, if it sounded good enough for you to want to try more, etc...
    - Above.

3. Is bias only for making your own amps? No, you can also just DL other people's creations from the cloud, and they're all importable into JamUp for use in a chain, i.e. using an OD, compressors, delays, etc...there are no FX in this one though...so yeah, you could say that it's only for making amps.

4. Bias price got bumped up to about 25 bucks in my country, it was previously $13, should i wait it out to come back down? Depends on you...it's worth it, but if you don't want to pay then hang on...they might lower it again.

My thoughts: Well if i mainly played metal, wouldnt it be best if i just bought the metal expansion pack with the free jamup XT as opposed to buying jamup pro XT? You can do this if you want to....the Sig Metal pack is great too, though, as the FX make it worth it...the gate in the free version sucks and the delays you get are worth the price of admission alone...also, if you buy BIAS pretty much all the amp models are in there, plus thousands from the ToneCloud. You do get some pretty sweet FX with the Metal Packs though...and the gates are much better than the free one in JamUp.
    You guys have it good....when I first started using JamUp, it was before BIAS came out and before a lot of the metal stuff was really good...I had to do it all in order...JamUp-JamUp Pro-Metal Pack-Sig Pack-BIAS. I really wouldn't waste the $ on JamUp Pro if you're mainly playing metal...I haven't found much to like in the clean models in JamUp Pro.

Thanks in advance guys! Can't wait to start using these.

EDIT: Would be best if a FAQ could be set up at the first page of this thread. I tried to answer some of my questions. Sorry, a lot of us have been using this for quite some time, and forget that some people are just starting out with it. Maybe Chuck will see this and put an FAQ in the first post.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  9. I_CUM_BLOOD

Thanks steinmetzify for taking the time to clarify those things! Wow I didn't know about ToneCloud sharing. Will go check that out.

10. I_CUM_BLOOD

UPDATE: Okay guys I've just got the Jamup plug and Bias on sale. First I think the Jamup plug is great for the price. Although it feels flimsy, it actually gets the job done. So far I haven't experience abnormal feedback from high gain amps, just use the noisegate to cut it out. Response is good and use ultra latency option to get precise playing. I bought Jamup Pro + Metal Expansion + Bias = sgd $39. It's a reasonably amount if you already have an ipad or iPod touch. To get a bigger sound just hook it up to a speaker and this combo beats most practice amps which cost 4-5 times more. Btw ToneCloud and the sharing of presents is really a good way for us to share tones which is a great implementation by Positive Grid.

11. steinmetzify

^Glad you got it and dig it, man....it really is a stellar piece of kit for what it costs. Throw up some clips!

12. XGerardX

XGerardX SS.org Regular

Well I was just about to pull the trigger on buying a new pod hd500x when I came across this thread! I figured I may aswell give jamup a shot. Im a bit skeptikal of something basically £350 cheaper than the pod being classed as superior. So Ive bought the app and ordered a line 6 sonic port. Havent bought any expansions yet just the actual app. Whats the views on buying Bias alongside it though? Deffinately worthwhile? I dont play in a band or anything basically just home use which is why I was going to go with the pod and some studio monitors. So does this cheap app actually blow the pod out of the water? Hopefully my stuff comes tomorrow so I can get started!

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    I owned a Bass Floor POD right when they came out... I prefer Jamup for bass modeling. It's not a bunch of menus, so it's a bit more intuitive... It's cheaper.... It's virtually future-proof... I'd say yes, it's better than a Pod.

14. steinmetzify

I owned an HD500 and use this now; I think it's superior. Much more intuitive, easier to get great tones out of and sounds way better on the high gain models with less effort IMO. Much less tweaking needed to get to what you want to sound like.

BIAS is a fun app, but basically designed so you can design your own amps; if you're not into tweaking the inside of an amp there's always the ToneCloud where you can DL other people's designs. It's a blast and if you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Another one I'd recommend is an app called Flying Haggis; just stellar clean tones, which is something JamUp/BIAS are ok at, but this takes it to another level.

JamUp:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/gab-drums-copy[/SC]

BIAS:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/dr-om-testing[/SC]

Flying Haggis cleans/delays pup demo for the winder:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/flyinghaggisbluesmansigilpicku[/SC]

If you want to record into GarageBand, make sure you get another app called Audiobus, which works flawlessly with these apps; it works as a chain of 'cables' between guitar/keyboard apps/effects/DAWs. Totally with the price, and it's only like $5.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  15. XGerardX

XGerardX SS.org Regular

Cheers guys :) will give it a go.

16. I_CUM_BLOOD

Btw if any of you guys are experiencing crazy ass feedback, you could change the output selector to either headphones or speakers. Almost shat bricks when I plug it into my studio monitors to experience feedback even with noise gate threshold set high. Was so certain my JamUp plug was a broken piece of shit until I changed the output selector. This was my result of what goes with what:

Headphone output: headphones (duh) and studio monitors
    Speaker output: speakers

Have yet to try connecting JamUp plug to an audio interface into daw. Definitely easier learning curve than using VST plugins on Reaper.

17. Aghasura

Aghasura SS.org Regular

I had a weird experience: recorded an amp with gain in reaper = no problem; tried to record a clean guitar track = bizarre, useless gibberish. Anybody else have this problem?

18. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Just wanted to say how awesome Positive Grid has been to me, really appreciate them and everyone who has taken the time to check out any of my videos.

To everyone playing live with JamUp or BIAS, always be prepared and have a backup !

This is mine, learned the hard way, but will always be prepared now. :agreed:
    [​IMG]

19. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I get this weird humming noise that's the most obvious when I play light palm muted stuff, do you people think it's a problem with my patches or the Jamup Plug? Does anybody else have this?

http://puu.sh/7ZMjD.ogg

20. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Check out this vid from The Heavy Metal Ninjas