The iOS Amp Modeler App Thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Chuck, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

That studio connect looks like it may be worth waiting for... I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket but I might hold out for that and keep my current interface.

2. bukkakeONyoMAMA

bukkakeONyoMAMA SS.org Regular

Im actually hoping that i can skip the kenton usb to midi host and hook up my fbv shortboard right to the Studio Connect HD. Anybody have an opinion on using the rca line level out for connecting monitors. Is rca an ok option?

3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

With the quality of ios's like Jamup, we're going to see this market explode with new products to service it.

Can't wait to see what Apogee has up their sleeve, because the Jam has already been bested by newer interfaces.

4. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Really? I thought the Jam was the best interface for this kind of stuff. What's better?

5. bukkakeONyoMAMA

6. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

He says it will work with a PC interface in the vid.

@ $149 that thing is a super deal!

8. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Nice. Another reason to sell my Pod

9. slapnutz

slapnutz SS.org Regular

This thread is great as I am noob when it comes to software modelers!

I had a few questions though...

Of all the "HD" interfaces (i.e. uses the Dock instead of Headphones) which ones:
    1) ...charge the iPad/phone? (i think Ampkit Link HD was mentioned?)

2) ...have an output socket to connect to e.g. powered monitors instead of headphone out?

3) Is this dedicated output jack (question 2) "better" than the normal headphone jack for going into monitors/PAs?

4) What difference does the Ipad/iphone hardware make? i.e. does a less powerful model (iPad 1 vs iPad 3) mean less simultaneous effects/amps can be run?

Lastly, do any of these setups let you simulate say 2 different amps with effects simultaneously with a (e.g. 100ms) output delay into a stereo output? Kind of like a live double tracking of guitar. I take it the hardware interface would kinda influence the capabilities for this?

Also that Griffin Studio Connect looks sweet.

Sorry for the question guys, just though i'd get some opinions. Atm, i'm looking at the Line 6 Sonic port for the interface.
    (this is all geared moreso towards an actual jamming setup rather than recording setup)

10. bukkakeONyoMAMA

Id seriously wait for the Studio Connect HD. It does what you want. It charges and has rca line level outs for studio monitors. It will hopefully serve as a PC interface as well. AFAIK it doesnt matter what ipad you have, they should all be the same as far as performance goes.

11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Welp, I can't answer all your questions. For I am also new to this stuff.

But in regards to to your one question about the CPU power of the device, I've been reading a lot on the subject.

Most people are claiming that all this IOS stuff is nothing more than a novelty right now.

"I've been told that the latency is mostly the result of how iOS manages and prioritizes processing and that generally, tasks involving audio are way below the list of graphics and touch screen related activity.

In my experience with iOS coding, I've found that the graphics/screen related processing is actually LOWER in priority than most other routines on the device. However, having said that, there is not a great deal of developer control over thread priorities etc. because the underlying OS assumes a lot of control over that. There ARE methods to override sequencing and forcing execution, but then you tend to have other 'ripple down' issues.

But like others have said above - the processor and memory on these devices is still quite low spec as compared to what people are used to with dedicated DSP devices or desktop PCs. Bear in mind that the 'iDevices' were never really designed to be audio processing units, which makes what developers have achieved with them to be quite remarkable."

12. God Hand Apostle

God Hand Apostle Tin Foil Central

I un-jailbroke my 4s to see I could quell the crackle-pops and fix the latency issue I'm having on JamUp with SonicPort...its actually worse now. Any patch with delay is unusable, period. Patch changes take about 3 seconds. Rice crispies, yadda, yadda...

I've deleted and re-dl'd the app, removed otterbox, killed all running apps, airplane mode, etc. My phone just doesnt like it. Reading this thread, it's obviously working for people enough to sell their PODHD's. Sucks I'm that guy with the phone that doesnt like Jamup, but its manufactured tech...shit happens.

I've been wanting an iPad for a year or so, and can get a discount on them now, so I'll give that a whirl and report back. If anyone is having the same issues and following along, hopefully I can have some answers.

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

That seems really weird. I wonder if phones manufactured at different times have slightly different specs?

I was able to run jamup (with a sonicport) using my brothers iphone 4s with no issues at all (its a new 4s though, maybe a few months old), but my iphone 4 gets crackles and pops to the point of being unusable (its 2 years old).

I'm thinking I may try to pick up an iPad of some kind, since I wanna see what iphone comes out next year before upgrading.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Isn't the iPhone 4S supposed to be more powerful than the standard 4? That could explain things.

15. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

first of all, not sure if im misinterpreting what you're asking, but you can only use one amp at a time. no mixing and matching two amps in the same patch.

i have pretty much the shittiest iOS device (early iPOD touch 8g 4th gen)and i'm running jamup with the metal sig pack and it works just fine. i can use every single pedal slot without a real problem. there are three "but's" to this.

1. changing patches with lots of fx can take a second or two.

2. if i turn on the "low-latency" option i get some pops and clicks. (this is enough for me to save up for a new iPad)

3. sometimes when i have lots of pedals in the signal flow, the touchscreen is a bit laggy, like when im turning knobs and stuff.

16. bloodstaindewok

bloodstaindewok Well-Known Member

I use iRig regular (non-HD) and PG JamUp Pro. I have the Ola/Merrow/Loomis pack and I absolutely love the amp models. Been wanting to grab the Bogner Ecstasy model but I'm not exactly sure how close it's gonna sound. Has anyone else tried that and can it nail that spongy saturation tone on the distorted end?

17. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

Dudes,
    I just got the Jamup app with the Signature Metal Pack. I am shocked at how good this thing actually sounds! :hbang: Thank you guys for the recommendation. :yesway:

I do have a question though....I am using this with my iPad mini and the iRig adapter. As you guys probably know the adapter plugs into the headphone jack. I have a decent Bluetooth speaker I would like to use sometimes instead of headphones. Is it possible to use an external Bluetooth speaker when something is plugged into the headphone jack? I can't seem to get it to work.
    Thanks in advance.

Edit: Brain fart, I guess I could just use a cable from the headphone out straight to the speaker. :lol: wireless would be cool but I need a guitar cable anyway so no biggie.

18. bloodstaindewok

bloodstaindewok Well-Known Member

Fire from personal experience make sure that if you are using the speaker to go into the settings and change the output mode to speaker. It's a pretty braindead tip but I was using my computer speakers and wondering why I was sounding thin and getting lots of feedback. And then I realized I was a dummy. :noplease:

19. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

yes, and that makes sense in my situation, however he's using a 4S and getting pops/clicks where I used a 4S with no issues. Therefore there must be some differences between these two phones of the same model. He's in the US and I'm in the UK so maybe different countries have slightly different phones or something.

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I have that one....it's all right, but not my favorite. I'm not really a huge Bogner fan, except for the Uber....it's pretty close, but not exact. If you're looking for a close approximation it's there, but no it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the 101 gained out.