The importance of gear

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by gs_waldemar, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

Yes, you didn't, but isnt that how are opposers of "the tonez" called? :lol:
    *hint* im joking *hint*

2. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Technique.

Wait, there are others things that are important?

3. jam3v

jam3v wat

Tom Morello gets massive amounts of respect for a number of reasons, but there's a difference between recording using that gear and using it to perform live. You can do enough tracking, eq'ing, and mastering during the recording process to make shitty equipment sound great, but you don't get that luxury during a performance.

All his live gear is up-to-snuff.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

:lol: Haha - Fair enough. :metal:

5. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

It's just part of the equation. In general I think it's more desirable for the gear to just be a vehicle for your musical ideas, but if done right it can also be fun to listen to recordings or live performances where the music is also a vehicle for letting the qualities of particular instruments shine, provided that is just one element and not the main focus.

Ultimately it comes into play only on pretty detailed audio equipment (whether it's low end monitors set up well or an audiophile hifi setup) or in shows where the mix is just spot on.

Also the thing I would place above pickups/amp/woods in terms of purely physical stuff is just a system that works together well. Long unbuffered cable runs, impedance mismatching, poorly set pickup heights, cheap pedals, bad pots/caps, grounding issues, etc. are the real tone killers... your number one priority is not to have any of those issues ruining your setup, whether you play a Rondo or a PRS!

6. abandonist

abandonist Banned

This is all an area of diminishing returns in price.

Sure, you can have a super expensive setup that sounds great.

I'd debate that an average set of: well setup guitar, decent amp, and a pedal or 2 sounds just as nice.

I think the most important thing in playing is to not be faking it. Unfortunately most people that play are faking it and have no voice of their own (that has nothing to do with tone or skill).

7. DarkWolfXV

What do you mean by faking? Copying someone?

8. abandonist

abandonist Banned

Putting something intangible into your music that makes it sound like you're exorcising yourself, or tapping into the aether.

Basically: "Don't Fake The Funk". We can tell.

9. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

but that goes beyond your fingers :scratch:

while i'm a proponent of gear (and guitar) being about 70% of your sound, i will say that technique definitely has a part in your tone.

there's a test i want any of you who say that tone is all your fingers to do. take any guitar and play it through the clean channel of any amp. play through the neck pickup first, then the bridge. notice the difference in sound? now try and make your bridge pickup sound as warm, full, and smooth as your neck pickup. i don't care who you are, no matter what kind of attack or how smoothly you roll your fingers around each string, it wont sound the same. it just wont. if you can make each of your pickups sound the same (without using the volume/tone knobs, only your fingers) then you are on some ungodly level of playing that i, a mere mortal, cannot fathom.

what i'm getting at is that it's not completely one or the other as some of you seem to think. that's impossible. it just seems silly to me for some people to say such things

10. ArtDecade

No it doesn't...

Pick lighter and pick harder - Volume
    Pick towards the neck or the bridge - Tone
    etc etc etc

You can also use your guitar pots as effects unit.

Volume - Tremolo
    Tone - Wah

Seriously guys... use your guitar and your hands. Unlock their potential and then get bogged down in the nuances of the gear. Technique is more important than gear. You will never sound like Petrucci because you play through his rig.

11. PettyThief

PettyThief SYL

I think gear doesn't make the player, the player does.

IE:

If you had a Ferrari but couldn't drive well, you are still a bad driver and would still be a bad driver if you had a Dodge Neon.

Same with gear:

You can have all the gear in the world but still suck.

12. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

my apologies, i read that as if you were talking about the knobs on the guitar, which in fact do go beyond the tone in your fingers. i still stand by that it goes both ways when it comes to your overall tone, each has it's place

13. ShadowAMD

ShadowAMD SS.org Regular

You can be the best player in the world, but if I give you a shit old amp and a crap old guitar with rusty strings.. You will sound like crap and need a tetanus shot..

Generally unless your a rich boy, guitarists learn to get the best they can out of there crap gear and with experience upgrade.. Now the best they can get out of there new gear will far exceed the sound of crap gear, because they can.. So if you suck on expensive equipment, it will still sound crap..

It's all logic.

14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

More strings = More tone. It's that simple.

15. ArtDecade

Piano, yeah? :hbang:

16. DarkWolfXV

Especially when using only the bottom 2! After 5th fret the lose the brootz man. :lol:

17. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

I hate when old "famous" musicians try to give advice. Gibbons doesn't apply any advanced techniques and uses extremely light gauge strings in standard E tuning. He knows nothing of technical metal. That's like saying my hands can make a Fender Tweed, sound like a Mesa Triple Rectifier.

I find almost every aspect equally important. Everything from technique, to guitar construction/components, amps, tubes, strings, picks, FX, , settings, and even batteries and power supplies, effect tone.