The Ibanez Family before Austerity kicks in; Who gets voted off the island?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by clintsal, Aug 2, 2013.

Which Ibanez guitar would you sell if you had to?

1. Apex100

18.1%
  2. S5427 w/ BKP Painkillers

4.2%
  3. S5470F w/ Dmz Dominions

57.2%
  4. RGA121NTF

20.5%
  1. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

I have surrendered to the fact that I am a ridiculous Ibanez fanboy, and in the last several months I indulged this addiction quite a bit:
    [​IMG]

L to R:
    Apex100
    S5427 w/ BKP Painkillers
    S5470F w/ Dimarzio Dominions
    RGA121NTF

The problem now is that I just got back from an expensive 1 month int'l trip and am trying to get a small business up and running, so the amount of money wrapped up in this little collection is excessive. I'll be sad to see any one of these go out my door, but unless I find a money tree it's going to happen soon.

So my brethren, just out of curiosity, if you had to get rid of one of these, which would it be and why? In fact, to be realistic I will probably need to get rid of two, so to make it interesting try to pick one 6 and one 7. Any questions or comments on your experience with any of these guitars is also welcome.

GXPO, setsuna7, s_k_mullins and 2 others like this.
  2. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Definitely the S5470. The other three are just way too awesome to let go

3. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Definitely that red one. The Apex is badass and fairly unique. The S5427 looks as good as I know it must play. Bareknuckles too. :yum: And RGA121's are renown workhorses and tone machines. Plus it looks sexy in that natural finish, with a pickup change it would killer. But that red S series gets my vote off

4. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

I voted the RGA, I love trems, and sabers too much to not keep both, and the Apex 100 is too cool. :)

5. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Am I voting for the one I would sell, or the one I want you to list in the classifieds? :)

6. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

That's quite a question you have there

Even though logically the S5470F seems like it'd be the "right" guitar to get rid of, it's difficult for me to say it. It's not even my guitar and it hurts to say,

but I'd drop the S5470

7. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

Whichever you want, you can vote one and comment on the other!

8. Shredderboy1658

Shredderboy1658 string abuser

let the s5427 go, those edge zero IIs are a bitch of a trem plus i don't particularly care for 7 string sabers :p haha

9. Dani2901

Dani2901 SS.org Regular

+1

10. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

but....that isn't an edge zero ii :scratch:

It is a ZR-7. Same bridge as every other modern S series guitar just 7 strings

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Unless you're using a lot of the single coil tones on the S5470, it's the most redundant of the pack.

12. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

of the Sixers, the S5470F. the sevens is harder, but I would send the APEX flying, I like it very much, but I compare it to the 5427 and it just falls short.
    that way you end up with one hardtail and one trem, pretty neat huh

I'm a genius

13. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

sell the apex and the rga. between the 6 & 7 string s's you've got enough tonal range to cover for the two sold off. I think you might get a fair amount for the apex and the prestige rga's seem to do alright. they're great axes, but since you're starting a business you'll need to sell guitars that will fetch the highest dollar. plus, the s bodies are pretty comfy.

good luck man! :yesway:

14. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Before I say anything else, I will disclose that I am an S series whore, and would keep those just on principal. But, thinking in terms of tonal variety...

The RGA isn't bringing anything to the table except the fixed bridge, so I would ditch it first unless you need to retune a lot (but then you can always block the other trems or add a TremolNo on the other guitars if needed).

The Apex brings a neck position single coil to the mix, which is cool, but in this case it's a 24 fret guitar, which moves the neck pickup out of the sweet spot just a bit. Because of this, the middle position on the 5470 might be just as useful for the single coil tones, so I say sell this one second if you have to move two guitars.

I think the two S series guitars would end up being the most versatile of the bunch. Add to that the fact that you have 2 prestige S series guitars, so I have to assume that you like them quite a bit. This is why I would keep them over the others.

I think I've arrived at this decision rationally for tonal reasons, but, as I stated above, I'm an admitted S series whore, so I may not be entirely unbiased. :lol:

clintsal likes this.
  15. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The S5470F is definitely the 6'er I would send packing. The 7 string is a harder choice. Both are great guitars. The S5427 has dual humbuckers, which I prefer to the setup on the Apex100, but the Apex has a Lo-Pro 7, which I personally think is a better trem than the ZR7 (not saying the ZR7 is bad). The Apex is also Alder, which is quite uncommon for a production 7 string, compared to the mahogany S5427.

Argh, brain sploding, can't choose.

16. Jlang

Jlang I am Megatron

The S5470F without a doubt, she needs to leave.

17. octavarium7

octavarium7 Cloud Constructor

Welcome to the prestigious (no pun intended) S5427 club.

<3

edit: drop the fixed brige 6.

18. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Selling the RGA would leave you without a hardtail.
    Selling the Apex would leave you without the best trem you have on these guitars and a true single coil tone at the neck.
    Selling the 7-string Sabre would leave you without the nicest guitar of the bunch, and I bet it sounds huge with the BKPs. This might be my choice of the four if I could have only one of them.

I cannot really find a reason to keep the 5470. Still an awesome guitar, but has nothing to offer over the other 3. You'd still have a 6-string, a Sabre, and two guitars with a trem. OK, I'm a bit biased because I just can't get along with middle pickups, but you get the point.

-------------------------------

But that's all bullshit. If you need some cash, sell the two most expensive guitars. You'll buy them again when your business gets running well. Although they are nice guitars, none of them is a collectors item, you could find some of the same models even years later.

clintsal likes this.
  19. BlackWinds10

BlackWinds10 Kick em in the nuts!

I think you should sell the Apex 100 and RGA121. Reason being you can sell the Apex for a pretty fair sum since it's a high end signature and the RGA121 could still get you several hundred and you'd still have two really nice S series prestiges.

20. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

If I was to decide, I'd keep both the 7s.