The Hobbit Will Be A TRILOGY

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by nojyeloot, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

2. Darkened

Darkened SS.org Regular

The first episode comes to Poland on 28th December, I can't wait! I hope it won't dissappoint me because opinions on metacritic are very extreme.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Just got back from seeing this and its amazing! 10/10

I'm not going to post any spoilers or anything that would give away the plot but its much more high-fantasy than LOTR and is quite a different take to the novel(in a VERY good way).

4. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

+1.

5. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

[​IMG]

6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i saw it last night. and i agree, its a much different, but amazing take on it.
    and i will go out to say that as much as i enjoyed LOTR as a trilogy, tell me to watch them a few times in a row, and i wont be able to. its not the length that bothers me. its the slow pace. or rather, the awkward paced progression. there was a lot going on, but somethings they briefly touched, while others they couldn't. as a result, i found the character development in LOTR was a bit weak.

in the hobbit on the other hand, i'm not finding that. even the new characters they introduced caught my attention from the get go. in the LOTR, folks like boramier, legolas and others i could care less about. the only reason legolas stood out to me was coz of the 'legend of zelda' and how similar link would be to legolas.

with that said, the CGIs i thought looked amazing! really looking forward to the next few parts!

7. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

Saw it yesterday. Really good film. I thought it was better than LOTR.

8. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

Did anyone else see it in the 48 FPS format? I saw the IMAX 3D HFR version last night and I have mixed feelings about it. I think the "perfect" picture makes it look unnatural at times. During low action scenes I think it looks great and I think it improves the realism of the CGI characters, (it was sort of like watching a play) but during high action, there is NO motion blur whatsoever and it looks almost like the film is sped up. I think an analogy I have that people would be able to relate to here for 24fps vs. 48 fps would be like tube amps vs. solid state/computers. While the 48fps is technically better, I think it ruins the immersion of the film by making camera pans and characters too smooth, and it makes me realize that it's fake. It's hard to make such a drastic transition after 100 years of precedence. I think there are definitely potential uses for the 48 fps format, but I don't think it works well as a replacement for 24 fps movies.

9. xFallen

xFallen SS.org Regular

Sounds like Peter Jackson bought a farm of milk cows :X

10. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Just saw the movie and it was fantastic. They did a brilliant job with it!!!

11. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i'm hearing rumors that now this will be a 4 part movie. and they aren't just using the 'hobbit' as a book. they are using a lot of other appendix stuff too

12. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

If this is the case that sounds pretty cool to me

13. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

I saw it yesterday and thought it was fantastic! And I predicted exactly where the movie would end. I would definitely go see it again.

Now we have to wait till next year for the second installment.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It was originally two movies but then Peter Jackson wanted to tell Gandalf's side story so they stretched it out to 3 films to accommodate everything he wanted to do. Its all in the appendix and Middle Earth history books but they are adding their own twist to it. All the stuff with Dol Gulder and Radagast would have been edited out if it was just 2 movies.

15. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I saw it on Friday. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. The action was great and the characters were well drawn, but the main villain (in fact, all the villains) was kinda meh and the stakes never seemed as high as they did in Lord of the Rings. A lot of it felt more like Lord of the Rings Episode I than The Hobbit.

16. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Makes sense since it is the first of the 3 to come. I haven't read the book, but wouldn't the stakes be lower since it was pre-LOTR and in the beginning of LOTR things weren't that bad yet?

17. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Saw this Friday, in LieMax 3D HFR.

First, I'll say that I absolutely LOVED the HFR. The difference between it and 'standard' 3D is easily noticeable, and pretty vast. I sincerely hope that other directors quickly adopt the technology, because I'm really interested to see what others can/will do with it. I understand some people's complaints about the 'look' of it, but I have to say after having seen the film that I don't think this change in look is inherent to the new technology; rather, I think it was a deliberate choice on behalf of the director and/or director of photography. In short, based on what I'm reading, I think what people don't like is the lighting of the film, which has something of a 'soap opera' kind of look to it. Personally, I didn't mind it at all. Jackson's long used that look. I was reminded a bit of The Frighteners.

Anyway, as for the film itself, I truly enjoyed it. This seemed like a fresh and exciting take on the Middle Earth Jackson so well established last time. I think my favorite thing about it is the lack of men. In this first part, there are precisely zero representatives of the race of men. I can't say this is directly responsible, but whatever the case, this is the most fun I've had in Middle Earth to date. I'm saddened that it's gonna be another year or more before I get to see the next one.

18. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Five Align

My dad called me bitching because he didn't know it was going to be a trilogy. "The movie just stopped out of nowhere!" :lol:

19. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Haha me too!

I enjoyed this movie, but I went into it knowing that it wouldn't be like the book. I agree that the character development in this one was great; definitely better than LOTR. But this film is more about Gandalf and Thorin than Bilbo, and I was not expecting that. All that Radagast stuff was funny and interesting, but ultimately unnecessary. In the book history (appendices, etc) Gandalf knows Dol Guldur is the new stronghold of the Witch King; he went there himself years earlier. And it seems like Mirkwood has just started being called "Mirkwood." It was called Greenwood the Great, but since the Witch King moved in, it started getting darker and the animals died.

Also, I gotta say it was unnecessary for us to see the ring fall out of Gollum's pocket. I mean, really?

There are other details that annoyed me, because I am a fan of the book and would have preferred it stayed closer to that, but on the whole I enjoyed it, an would see it again.

20. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

going by the original movies, they said that the ring abandoned gollum. here, on the other hand, it seems he just lost it.

also, i'm assuming that gollum never put that ring on. he just played around with it, but never actually wore it :scratch: