The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by iRaiseTheDead, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

The stuff like Dale and inside Erebor seemed real enough. Of course, the stuff off in the distance had to be CGI.

2. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I saw it earlier today. I'd say I enjoyed it! The flow was somewhat different than I had anticipated, but overall I enjoyed it. I'm going to go see it again before Christmas too. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it did a good job of having a long, consistent build in intensity, and I admired that. Some of the fight scenes were ludicrous but I honestly didn't care, it was fun to watch.

I will agree that the Lord of the Rings movies were done better, but I attribute a lot of that to the plot, which had a lot more to work with. The Lord of the Rings movies are like "Here's adventure movies that turned out to be epic" and the Hobbit movies are like "Here are intentionally trying to be epic adventure movies", imo.

3. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Like I said before, I think the Hobbit had plenty of plot to work with for ONE movie.

4. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

I enjoyed every second of it :p

5. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I saw it on Christmas yesterday with family. It was kind of whack in places, but I still enjoyed it.

Also, Dain II was hilarious.:hungus:

6. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

That scene at the end
    "You can say goodbye to them yourselves"
    >pans to remaining dwarves

Me: "Even after 3 movies I have no idea who the .... any of you even are"

Pretty much sums up that trilogy for me.

7. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Just watched it... and I liked it. Yes, it was over the top, and a lot of it felt like scenes from an (awesome) videogame, but all in all, it fit. And I'd still say that it was closer to the LotR movies than the books were to each other.
    The battle scenes were a bit confusing as from the closer shots, it always looked like one side had already almost annihilated the other, and from far away it looked exactly like ten minutes ago.
    As for the dwarves: I think that was due to the books. I can perhaps recall all the names, but I'd have almost no idea to whom they belong, except for Thorin & Balin and Kili & Fili (I am rather sure about Gloin and I think the fat one was Bofur, but other than that... who cares?), and I had not been able to tell the later ones appart without that love story. However, I can't remember them being recognizable characters in the book to begin with. Much like Legolas & Gimli in the first book, they're just there without really adding anything. But you can get away with a lot of changes to the books, but no matter how pointless at least 6 of those dwarves were, you can't make a 'The Hobbit' movie and change the number of the dwarves.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Dang, my gif link above is now gone. It was a picture of Legolas running up blocks from a bridge as they fall down, taking steps off all of them once they're in free fall. The physics are like something out of a road runner cartoon and it looks considerably stupider than the average videogame cutscene. It was so bad it's actually put me off watching the movie, though I do hear the beginning is amazing if nothing else.

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I seem to recall something similar at the beginning of Kung Fu Panda. It was pretty cool there. Shame to hear that it doesn't work here.

10. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Yes, but Kung Fu Panda is a ridiculous cartoon starring Jack Black. The same rules don't apply to that universe and the Tolkienverse.

11. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

I thought it was fun to watch, which is really what I was hoping for after seeing the first one. I knew I wasn't going to like the trilogy as much as the original LOTR movies, so I'm happy with some adventure in the LOTR world and general enjoyment of it.

Each movie had some stupid parts. The second one could've just not had Legolas and Kate from Lost and it would've been better. The barrel part was dumb too. The third in the trilogy also had some parts that I feel would've made the movie better if they had been removed.

12. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

For all the Tolkien lovers...
    There's a band who made a full concept album about Silmarillion ;)
    Here's a gift :)

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finally got aorund to watching it last night and its was ok. the best of the 3 for sure .had some cool stuff in it , and some crud

I have no idea why he didnt close the 2nd movie with the smaug battle and start the 3rd clean . wouldve really improved the 2nd one

14. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

To the average person, I'm a Tolkien nerd. To a Tolkien nerd, I'm an idiot. With that said I enjoyed The Hobbit films, especially The Desolation of Smaug, mostly because of the Appendix storyline and the sound design. Dolby Atmos is a powerful program! At no point were my ears not convinced by the extreme atmospheres like Mirkwood and Erebor. Smaug's voice improved in The Battle of Five Armies and I think the multiple voices of Sauron were all equally, but appropriately, creepy.

The editing was rather bad in The Battle of Five Armies though. Many of the trailer scenes were not in the theatrical release and within the theatrical release itself there were some glaring inconsistencies. The most obvious being when Bilbo returns to the Shire with Gandalf. He is not carrying a treasure chest during any part of the journey until the last scene where he suddenly has a treasure chest. :scratch: Its not subtle either. I hope the extended version ties up many of the loose ends. I think it would make for a more coherent film from start to finish.

I think there is plenty more they can get out of the White Council's rescue of Gandalf. In that scene, I have no clue why Galadriel became all witch-like when she banishes Sauron. There is also a Palantir being held by the statue in the middle of courtyard. I assume Saruman will take it because if he doesn't, that would be an extremely weird prop to have in that scene and yet give it no purpose or relevance.

What they did perfectly was the connect the beginning of the first Hobbit film and the end of the last Hobbit film with the beginning of the The Fellowship of the Ring! In all three films its the same scene with the same characters but from different perspectives. :cool:

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Okay, just saw it the other day for the first time. Honestly, while I didn't hate it I wasn't all that impressed.

For one, I agree that the dragon part should have ended in 2. Watching it at the beginning of this film made the whole thing confusing and a bit jarring, like I just walked into a movie that already started.

Two, The story line was alright, but I don't honestly think it was a strong enough plot to have made a movie that would be great. In that respect I feel like it was kind of doomed from the start.

Third, I thought the graphics were simply awful. It wasn't the gravity defying stuff that threw me off either. I mean that was silly, but not so much so that it was unwatchable. What I didn't like is that none of the CGI looked a part of the real world. A lot of it looked more like an extremely well polished video game rather than a set. CGI wise, I was most disappointed with the beginning. The dragon looked awesome, but all of the fire and mayhem looked super fake. That was some of the worst looking fire I have ever seen given their Hollywood budget (most of this opinion is due to the fact that they have the potential to do better more so than it being awful).

My biggest complaint of all is the CGI world destruction felt really blocky. Like when bridges and buildings were falling apart as an example. It is most noticable when actors are composited into the scenes. It doesn't ever feel like they are a part of the destruction at all. Normally that wouldn't bother me as most films have large CGI moments and it is somewhat unavoidable, but this whole movie seemed to be mostly CGI making it more of a highlight.

I don't think making the movie sharper was a good idea as it only makes all of this that much more obvious. I was disappointed with the CGI enough I'll likely avoid any films that used the same company to pull this movie off.

That said, it was an acceptable movie that I could sit through again just fine. I'd give it 3.0/5.0.

16. wankerness

It's the schedule, where they had to rush through each movie to get all the work done in time for the yearly release with these three movies in a row. Since the last movie had the most complex (and frequent) effects, unsurprisingly they didn't have nearly enough time to do a good job. The company (Weta Digital) is fine, their other stuff they did last year was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Godzilla, both of which looked great.

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Fair enough. It definitely felt and looked rushed that's for sure. The graphics in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Godzilla were great so I suppose I'll retract that part of my statement. :lol:

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This was definitely the weakest of both the Hobbit Trilogy and the overall Tolkien/Jackson cinematic universe.

I REALLY REALLY tried to like it, but I couldn't. The script, acting, effects, pacing...pretty much everything was a miss.

There were a few really good scenes, but overall it was a mess. Anti-climactic as all hell and just hits a brick wall at the end.

I understand that there was a lot going on behind the scenes, this certainly wasn't an easy film, or trilogy for that matter, to make.

Made Return of the King look like The Two Towers. :2c:

19. wankerness

What does this mean? You thought Two Towers was vastly superior to Return of the King? General consensus seems to be that TT/ROTK are about equal in quality, with many preferring the latter which is why I'm confused here. Or is this just referring to endings or something?

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I, personally, thought The Two Towers was the strongest film in the franchise. The pacing is really well done, which is kinda the hardest thing to get right in these movies it seems. Even the extended cut is perfectly watchable with out going off on tangents.

It doesn't hurt that it was heavy on practical effects and had distinguishable beginning, rising action, climax, falling action, and end. It was complete while still being part of the overarching story.

As for The Return of the King, I get that they had to shoehorn in a lot of stuff, but the pacing was dreadful, especially the ghost storyline. The stop start endings were pretty annoying as well. I get that they needed an epilogue, but that still doesn't make the film itself better.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the films and they're one of the few I own in thier entirety. Just sharing my opinion.