The HAARP Machine is Back...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by musicaldeath, Aug 1, 2016.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Al has released some pretty great music, to be fair, that's why this thread is 35 pages long.

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

^^ 100%.

fake playthrough vid or not this shit is still fire

I really thought buddy was gonna get the band off the ground again after vanishing for 5 years to practice guitar. some guys are their own worst enemy. ah well

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Maybe he uses a 9600 baud modem to connect with the Internet.

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Literally thought it was a troll account

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, obviously there are some people in this thread just to laugh at some dude who writes kick ass music struggle, but the thread is 35 pages because a bunch of us want to hear more of this and see the band be a success.

Like this is awesome. More of that please.

JimF, TheDandy, Lorcan Ward and 3 others like this.
  6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I know I think the music kicks ass. The breakdown in Esoteric Agenda makes me want to fuck shit up, Extension to One is music excellent, and I dug the hell out of the Shedding tune. Its just the behind the scenes aspect is just baffling. Oh, and the lyrics are cringy...

Exchanger likes this.
  7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Sorry but, Al has had more than enough people telling him exactly how to be a better human being/musician. He's not "struggling". He "struggles" to keep a band around him and I'm sure that's not cause he just keeps falling on hard times, it's probably because of issues which have been pointed out time and time again.

Like this Euroblast, if he's been practicing this much, why not just play guitar and backing track the vocals? Would he have gotten hate? Absolutely "lol another singer left?", but it'd look a lot better than what's just gone down imo. It'd look like he showed up and played what he knew to play (considering he's made a point of making it look like he can now play the songs) and tried to get the band on track even with struggles of musicians.

Instead he gets up and sings, kudos to him honestly, first gig with that many people. But seriously why not go the other route, there will be hate either way so why not go the way he knows will give a slightly more positive outlook for the band. Unless he is still lying about playing the guitar parts.

To then come off with the excuses "Aw man, I was so busy with my day job, I had bills, and I was sick, and the tech issues"...You mean like the other bands that work day jobs to cover bills, the bands that are busy coming from the other side of the globe, the singers who are sick but know how to manage it, the singers who even with tech issues know where they should be because they've been doing it for so long.

I love the HAARP sound. Definitely a big influence, but the idea to do vocals for this was just crazy. Backing track the vox and turn up playing your parts, you'd have 1 less session musician bill to pay and it'd be a legitimate performance that people could actually get behind. I'm sure there will be a reason as to why this wasn't done.

JimF, Exchanger, lewis and 2 others like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I mean, there's more to struggle than finances. Dude can't keep the band functioning, and for whatever reason it's not because he can't write great songs.

Exchanger likes this.
  9. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Yes he has, the album was great and I enjoy listening to it.

However, no one in their right mind, with even the slightest amount of self awareness would could consider the euroblast performance to be in any way acceptable.

Album production aside, live performance is a huge part of music to me, and I would imagine to most other users here as well.

Whether he wants to play guitar, sing, or learn fucking jazz flute. He clearly need to reconsider his approach towards performance and delivering what the audience expect to see and hear.

And say what you like about his "struggles", the reason he cannot keep a band together is obvious. Any rational person who has watched done of his recently videos can see why he can't keep a band together.

Albake21 and lewis like this.
  10. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Don't listen to Steven. He's just mad that you're all indirectly insulting a Varberg.

thesnowdog, Randy, Edika and 2 others like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the music being great or not is kinda irrelevant to me in this case.
    If he had never been a knob to people, he could have gotten away with the standard of songs being less than half this technical/quality - and still had a decent gigging career with plenty of fanbases in areas. Abba had global hits with songs using 3 notes.

Al the person is way bigger than Haarp Machine the band, to people now. And i think he feels it to so its increased the already problematic ego.
    Think the euroblast is many peoples final straw too. Most the venue emptied after he started.
    Where he went wrong is not go the Jason Richardson route after the first albums lineup collapsed. Or Plini etc.
    Track record proves you cant work with people and also this would have solved the vocalist issues too. Just write sweet instrumental stuff and jam it yourself on stage.
    Like im almost positive if you could rewind like 7 years or something and he went this route instead he would be well thought of now, well respected by musicians (at least the majority that dont know him personally) and getting very solid support slots for larger bands on bigger tours.

Really needed to learn some lessons from his past and it never feels like he does

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Citation needed

nyxzz and Exchanger like this.
  13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

The live/band situation clearly isn't working. Granted I haven't followed closely but I can't recall hearing anything positive since the original shows (saw them with AAL back in 2011). I think HAARP could have a great future just releasing studio recordings - even if they amount to no more than one man programmed drums and sped up guitars (not a dig, that's just the genre) I'm sure people would be happy. That's pretty much what HAARP is in my head anyway haha

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  14. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

I'm still waiting for the reveal that Al has been Joaquin Phoenix this whole time

JimF and TheDandy like this.
  15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

For real, I like that guitar more than this band.

thesnowdog likes this.
  16. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

To be honest, the Varberg is a fantastic design and a beautiful guitar - comfy as well!

The issue with the whole HAARP Machine thing was never whether the songs were good or not, but rather the selling of edit-metal as actual playing to kick things off, an attitude that conveyed supreme arrogance to boot, and things ending up with an ever revolving door of band members followed by a meme like chain of events involving crowd funding, attributing the negative perception a lot of people have to some sort of massified freudian complex, and a sudden change of roles to jumping on stage and attempting to sing which, while brave, is quite silly. To be honest, given the social interaction issues Al seems to have down to not being able to secure a stable band lineup, I'd agree with Lorcan here - stick to studio stuff, hire session musos when needed, there done, job's a good one and the fans are happy. :shrug:

ThatBeardGuy, Aumann, lewis and 2 others like this.
  17. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

What Fred said. You cannot ignore his distasteful actions when he clearly does not give a fuck about it himself. He's happy to casually brush off any misstep he makes with impunity.

And let's not pretend he revolutionised the genre or anything. It was a solid album but was hardly a Necrophagist level game changer or something of similar ilk.

Eptaceros, lewis and GunpointMetal like this.
  18. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

It's a lot harder to scam promoters out of a guarantee and sell a bunch of merch ahead of your dive-bomb of a live set from behind a computer, though. Not like too many festivals are gonna be looking to book this after this anyways....well, I guess the Faceless still gets shows, so who knows.

19. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

No joke - I was about halfway through reading your post and thought "yeah, but The Faceless...". :lol:

GunpointMetal likes this.
  20. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Varberg > Standard Strandy