The HAARP Machine- Disclosure opinions

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Descendant, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

For anyone who's listened to the "Disclosure" record by the HAARP Machine, what's your opinion on the guitars being heavily edited/ sounding almost like a midi file? I know it's a point of contention for a lot of fans.

Personally I think the "Guitar Pro" tone fits perfectly in the mix, and every instrument (guitar, sitar, oud, koto, drums, bass, vocals and any other instrument I'm missing) comes together and finds it's own space in the songs.

And that's what makes this album so special for me. I don't mind if the guitars are programmed at 1/2 speed in Guitar Pro, because the music as a whole so simple to listen to without any point in the album being too crowded or confusing. I'm able to just sit back and enjoy the songs as a whole rather than guitar- centric pieces.

What are your guys' thoughts? I just got into this album and am wondering how the guitars sit with people.

Thanks!

2. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

I don't really mind it. Disclosure was a fun album but I can see why people find it so controversial. I mean, if you have to record your shit half speed then that raises the question how you're going to play the songs live.

3. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

There's been multiple threads on this and they nearly always end up getting deleted because they descend into ridiculous arguments. I love the album and saw them live and thought it was a good representation of the record, but a lot of people hate this dude (for legitimate reasons).

4. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

I'm somewhat new around here so I don't know the history what has and hasn't been posted. Hopefully this one won't descend (no pun intended) into any ridiculous arguments!

5. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

EDIT: I just now realized that posting this thread was like asking someone on here of they've heard of the internet. After a bit of snooping around here I found a thread from like 2012 about this topic. Reading through that thread was the text equivalent of the church scene in Kingsman.

MerlinTKD, AdenM and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I really don't care how an album is made, just don't be a shithead about it and lie and then have your whole band quit on you because you're a douche that could barely play the songs live. Disclosure is very well-produced. Some of the clean vox get on my nerves a litttle (they sound good/in tune, I just don't really like that timbre), but to me the sitar sound they used is chessy AF. Sounded like the old Boss GT-series MFX sitar patch.

lewis likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

In many ways I love when an album has super edited guitars because everything is so clear, each note rings out clearly, low tuned guitars are defined and punchy, notes aren't bleeding one note into another. It makes it so easy to tab and playing along is very beneficial for your own timing.

Downsides are everything is surgically tight on the grid so it can sound super robotic, note by note lead sections sound like guitar pro which can get very fatiguing on your ears, cutting the pick attack out of notes can make them sound plastic, no note bleed makes guitars sound more like a keyboard or midi VST. I'm noticing a lot more complaints nowadays of tech/djent bands sounding to stale and flat.

I find Disclosure was the perfect amount of editing to get the music across without it sounding too unnatural. Music will always come first, so how you achieve it doesn't bother me but its always nice to listen to a metal album nowadays and hear the mistakes and unwanted(or natural!!) guitar noises. Then again their are bands nowadays I wish edited their guitars more so they were clearer.

8. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I really liked the music and I was (and am) a big fan of their drummer Craig Reynolds when it came out. The drums were all natural and I found myself paying attention more to that, but the guitar work was fun, too. I have no issue with doing whatever you want to produce a pleasing audio file. If you start faking stuff live (which I think he did sometimes?), it can be annoying. But in the studio? I don't care, make what you want!

9. GunpointMetal

There's no way that snare/kick aren't at the very least sample replaced.

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Don't care in any way how music is recorded, I actually really like Disclosure but don't put too much thought or playtime on it anymore. I feel the same way about it as I do anyone who makes themselves out to be someone they're not to be, they're only cheating themselves.

sezna likes this.
  11. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Snare was natural, I don't know (and couldn't care less) if the kick sound has been altered. The dude is playing the notes is what I'm talking about. He could be using a midi controller for all I care, but his technique and timing are really good. I was perhaps unclear, I don't care about sample usage or blending. If I did, it would really limit my options as far as listening to metal goes, haha.

StevenC likes this.
  12. GunpointMetal

Ok, that makes more sense, but that is not a live a snare. Especially when it gets to the "blast" parts...no way, unless they recorded that all by itself after everything else.

13. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Pretty sure he just hits hard and it is compressed. Around 2:10 you can hear the compression/thick sticks bringing up the volume of those ghost notes.

Here he is a few years later with less post processing:

All speculation on my part. Either way, I liked his parts.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  14. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Every single major metal drum recording over the last 15 years has been edited (at least in part) and 99% of the time will be reinforced with samples on the kick and snare. It's just not possible to get the perfect drum tone when recording live, there are far too many variables.

Ataraxia2320 and GunpointMetal like this.
  15. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

I think the drums were partly edited, but they sit perfectly in the mix. Nothing bothers me more than super triggered/robotic drums in places that they're not necessary (a lot of tech death bands seem to do this). I mean what's the point of even having a drummer at that point?

RoRo56 likes this.
  16. GunpointMetal

I'd guess A LOT of the music is being entirely written ITB by someone besides the drummer. It's not always noted, but a lot of releases probably have straight-up programmed drums, even if the drummer did the programming.

17. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

If a band has programmed drums where no one physically recorded the drums, then they should 100% disclose that in the album credits. My issue is when there is a real drummer who tracks with real drums, but it sounds like someone just programmed them anyway.

18. GunpointMetal

They're not disclosing when they go in to the DI guitar tracks with Melodyne and fix everything, why would they let that out about the drums?

Flappydoodle likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

well a band friend Toby was who their drummer for shows and the recent music video - no idea if he was asked to do album drums. I doubt it

20. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

Because when you're recording DI, it still requires you to sit down with a guitar and play. That's still playing the instrument, so it can be credited as a guitar. If you're programming drums, then you're clicking the notes into a piano roll or drum grid, and no one physically touched a drum set. So that should be credited as drum programming, not actually playing drums.