The Great Aristides Sell-Off

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, Mar 17, 2020.

1. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I actually think that any thing physical
    you own is of more value than money right now. Think of how in the financial crisis, banks ran out of money. People put in many, many man-hours into earning those funds. Actual work. And then it just evaporated. Haircuts all around. Especially in countries where their currencies tanked. Billions of dollars worth of man hours becoming worth cents.

Just musing, I apologise if my economic theory seems radical, but who would have though the US would benefit from multiple simultaneous trade wars? Unbelievable, till it was done.

Is the US dollar a currency? Or a good with finite supply? It's hard to imagine that the countries indebted to the US who forged the Bretton Woods Agreement foresaw the US abandoning the dollar linkage to gold.

And why couldn't the currency notes entitle the bearer to the equivalent amount of goods "as determined by the value of gold"? Worth noting that in a time of crisis like this, the super-rich can't get enough gold. And the US always seems to power through crises nowadays by "printing" trillions of dollars - an act it has a monopoly over.

Free float? Remember: you can only buy oil and other goods with dollars. No one takes the equivalent in rupees, pesos or toilet paper. So my currency is worth nothing really.

I have to buy dollars therefore. Which seems to imply it is the barter good of choice.

Covid-19: Look at the job losses worldwide. Imagine people living from check to check. Imagine having to pay rent and buy food and service your loans when you have no job.

Seriously, hold on to your money.

Or don't hold on to your money. I am not sure.

This isn't the first crash and it won't be the last. This kind of thing just keeps happening every 10 years or so. Asian Tiger Crisis, Lehmann, Covid. What next? America defaults?

Unfortunately, "investments" in gear won't pan out either, I'd imagine.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Likely won't be necessary, we'll just have to wait a few weeks. Confinement is likely going to stay at least for 4 more weeks in Europe, maybe more. I'd expect it to be longer in the USA given that you had a... late start.

StevenC likes this.
  3. nightlight

Is that what they're saying now? Four weeks? I would be glad if it is only that long.

769 dead in Spain in 24 hours. And Boris Johnson got infected too, as per the latest news.

Even in tiny Singapore, 40+ infections today.

Always remember Patient 31 in South Korea. One woman was responsible for
    over 60 per cent of the cases in that country.

Got to love policymakers, man. "Get back to work."

The shithouse is going up in flames. You know, in India, they could only muster a $22 billion stimulus package? It's a $1.7 trillion economy. Got to be fiscally prudent.

Assuming that is to help 400 million people in a country of 1.3 billion, that's about $55 a head.

For how many months is that supposed to last? And the US stimulus is one-time only? They're sure?

4. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Aristides Guitars are cool.

nightlight likes this.
  5. nightlight

Yeah, arium sounds really interesting. Definitely on my guitar bucket list.

Prices seem to have come down on Reverb. I saw some non-raw models selling for about $2.5k iirc.

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, officially it's only 2 more weeks but we know where this is going. My main issue with waiting for prices to, if they do, fall, is that I'd give a decent luxury watch priority over an umpteenth guitar at that point, and since I'm buying another apartment getting both isn't in the plans.

7. nightlight

I wanted to go on vacation and see my folks, but I can't fly anywhere. I'm also scared if I fly in or out of some country. I may not be able to fly anywhere else.

Might not be a good idea to fly, period.

I'm looking at a few amps and a couple of guitars locally: Mark V:90, a Strandberg, an XTC. There also was an Ultra Lead on Reverb for $1800, kind of a holy grail amp for me, but I'm just waiting and watching for a bit.

I'd like to sell some gear instead of buy at this point actually.

8. darkinners

darkinners my fingers are lame

They just are, right after I bought my first Aristides I am ordering the 2nd and now pre-ordered the upcoming headless one.
    And this kind of behavior is very common between Aristides guitars owner.

I was skeptical about them like many but once I played one, that's it. Composite material is the future of guitar.

nightlight and c7spheres like this.
  9. nightlight

That's awesome. I love the headless design and that's the Aristides I'd love to own if I could save up enough for a used one somewhere down the line.

Have you compared to any other high end instruments made of wood?

You know, I love the fact that so many people tout the virtues of Arium for guitars. It just buttresses my argument that the wood/material being used is very important to the tone of a guitar.

I love the Mayones, Caparison and Strandbergs I own, but if there's one guitar I'm pretty confident I'll not sell, it's a Sugi DH496C I own.

Odd guitar, no truss rod. The wood is estimated at 200-500 years old, and was underwater for 75-150 years.

[​IMG]

It's an oddball for a DH496C with three single coils. Definitely not metal. But I love trying odd things with it, like this attempt at vintage Judas Priest.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9GAnhbHCDF/?igshid=esa6ux75eed8

The tone just reminds me of songs like Never Satisfied and Tyrant.

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Christ that guitar is gorgeous

nightlight likes this.
  11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Wow, I love that top! I've seen that guitar before but the photos didn't show as much depth.

nightlight likes this.
  12. darkinners

darkinners my fingers are lame

My guitar/bass arsenal are mostly mid to higher end. Namely PRS Private Stock, PRS Modern Eagle, Mayones Master Builder Collection, Fodera Emperor Bass, Warwick Custom Shop bass, Fender Custom Shop...etc

If I had to choose one. I'd take Aristides over any of them any day of the week. Of course I appreciate beautiful wood and the woodworking craftsmanship as much as the next guy.
    But Aristides just feel great to play and it sound very "clear". Quite a bit clearer than my other guitars. The low end however is a little bit on the lean side.

Your Sugi look absolutely amazing! I'd hold on to it as well. Btw why doesn't it have a truss rod?

nightlight likes this.
  13. nightlight

Dude, that's like top of the line equipment. I love well-made guitars, I've owned some really nice production stuff, like an Ibanez RG1820X and a LTD JH-600EC, but I think companies like Mayones have refined their processes to a level that it's not just an incremental difference in playability or tone.

Someday I hope to own an Aristides as well. I like tonal variation, so having a synthetic guitar in combination with a mahogany one or an ash one appeals to me greatly.

On the Sugi: Thanks. It's just that the wood has been underwater and subject to the elements for so long, that it no longer is subject to warping or anything. I'll add a big caveat that "I hope". When I run that guitar through a synth with a Fishman Triple Play, the tracking is amazing, really good build. Iirc, it's made of exotic mahogany and exotic maple, which could be just marketing terms.