The Gibson Adam Jones (Tool) Sig is here

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 27, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Like 9/11

2. park0496

park0496 SS.org Regular

Okay buddy

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Geez this sounds like the start of a really shitty heist movie. I hope they catch the perpetrators and slap in them in their faces with concertina wire.

Musiscience and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

What if they were stolen to be destroyed?

5. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

-Rare picture of a Tool fan/conspiracy theorist hard at work using numerology and meditation to explain the Adam Jones LPC heist.
    November 06th, 2020

tumblr_pwpyjoElsR1vymt0po2_500.jpg

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

The thieves obviously knew exactly what they were taking, but they'd have to know that the serial numbers would be out there for people to know if they're hot. Maybe they all can be sold to private collectors. Then again, what's the point of paying top dollar for a guitar if you can't show it off?

Carl Kolchak, fps and sirbuh like this.
  7. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

@Demiurge Well, I imagine like high-profile art heist purchasers and the sort they do show them off, just not to the average person.

I wonder if this incident will even further inflate the value of all the Adam Jones models or just those serials in particular.

All I can say is these guitars are going to be selling for even more ludicrous money some day, count on it.

Ataraxia2320 and Blitzie like this.
  8. park0496

park0496 SS.org Regular

They even put Jumbo frets; no Gibson fret nibs on these - nice

9. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

I like tool. They rock.

fps likes this.
  10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Bingo. I suspect Tommy DeSimone.

But yeah, stealing these really doesn't make sense. You can't show them off, because if you do you run the risk of someone snitching you out. So what are you going to do with one? They're never going to appreciate, and Gibson's just going to have to replace them for PR reasons. So great, you got a stolen guitar you can never show to anyone else now, and which you can can never publicly resell. Sort defeats the purpose of being collector's item then, doesn't it?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  11. possumkiller

Idk. Don't collectors just hoard shit anyway?

12. Carl Kolchak

People are buying these for the bragging rights of owning one, and to obviously resell after they've appreciated substantially. Now you can't brag about owning stolen property because you'll eventually get caught, and you can't resell one of these now because they're essentially worthless, as they'll no longer be recognized by the collecting community as "valuable". And it's not even like this was a one-of-a-kind piece like a painting or a sculpture where "ownership", even the illicit type, confers a measure of prestige. No. The only "value" these guitars have now are to the cops.

13. possumkiller

Or to a person that really likes tool and wanted an exact replica of the tool guy's guitar. And a few backups for when one gets worn out.

StevenC likes this.
  14. possumkiller

Also, don't forget that whoever did it is causing some insufferable tool fans a small inconvenience.

15. Musiscience

A lot of stolen luxury cars are actually sold elsewhere in the world. Stolen in America and shipped by containers. Maybe this will be the same type of deal? I'm sure there are wealthy tool fans somewhere in the world who doesn't care if it's stolen or not.

I'm sure the people that stole them knew exactly what they were doing, contrary to a regular home burglar that steal a unique piece without knowing it on the spot then ends up putting it in a dumpster somewhere. If that's the case, they probably got the "how to diapose of them" part figured out before the fact.

16. Carl Kolchak

But here's the thing, these are supposed to be limited to a certain number, right? Now if Gibson replaces them then that means there will be that many more in circulation. Also, what happens if a stolen one is recovered afterwards? Will Gibson destroy it?

Feels like this whole episode is just the icing on an already ridiculously over-hyped cake anyways. It's just a damn Les Paul.

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Some people just want a cool guitar to play, but it seems like as far as Gibson fandom goes, the Venn diagram of "people who would pay beaucoup bucks for a rare Gibson" and "people who care about the lineage/traceability of the instrument" would be close to a circle. I doubt these guitars are going to be offloaded at a discount, and the buyers could've picked-up a vintage silverburst or waited for the probable standard sig model.

But hey, the fact that the whole ordeal has things about it that don't make sense is the genius of the heist :lol:

18. possumkiller

Probably just a publicity stunt because it's tool and has to be controversial.

19. Musiscience

Maybe it's some kind of inception type of scenario with alternate realities and time travel, where a young Adam Jones needed to grab a few of these as he lost the original one and Tool as we know it would have never existed if he didn't pull this extravagant time travel reality defying stunt.

It's all related to Fibonacci numbers man, you wouldn't undestand.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Now if you're ok with waiting 20 years you still got a free investment: you will "discover it" in a "barn find" somewhere and then sell it as original once the active legal window closes forever. Since I see dudes on YT bragging about smashing the speed limit with video proof... but well after the fact, I do suppose crime in the USA has an "expiration date" so to speak.

possumkiller and Carl Kolchak like this.