The FREE IRs, Amp sims, and boosts post.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Jan 21, 2021.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Over time I've collected a fuck ton of digital gear. Trying to build out a functional studio situation for working on my stuff as well as other people's projects and stuff.

There's always talks of what boosts, sims, and IRs people use so I figured I'd share what I have.

Below are folders for all my stuff. All the stuff in there is free stuff you'll find on the internet and I've been collecting it over the years. Some shit is harder to find than others.

I figured this post might be a good resource for people just starting out or for anyone who wants a centralized hub for access to new things you might not have.

If you have IRs, amp sims or whatnot (the FREE kind, SSO is anti piracy) that aren't in here then perhaps make your own Google drive folder and share?

I update these folders constantly when I come across new stuff so save the folders and check back every now and then to see if I've added something.

If you guys want it, I can make a folder for the free mixing/mastering/EQ stuff I have too although most of what I use is stock with my DAW or premium stuff. The free stuff I can make a folder for if you want.

Boost Pedals

Amp Sims

IRs

Themistocles, binz, 73647k and 22 others like this.
  2. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

10000000 THANKS !!

BMFan30 likes this.
  3. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I forgot to mention, there are bass amps and bass cabs in there too.

binz, BMFan30 and I play music like this.
  4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

holy moly! That's awesome! Thanks a ton!!

BMFan30 likes this.
  5. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

I figured it was only a matter of time before you did a post like this. You are at the forefront fighting for free amp sims :) I really appreciate you doing this, thanks a lot!

6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Obed1224 likes this.
  7. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

Thanks a bunch dude!

8. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Thanks so much! The IR's are sounding great with the Mark IV I'm using for Silent Recording.

BMFan30 likes this.
  9. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Very nice of you looking forward to trying some out!

Cheers ;)

BMFan30 likes this.
  10. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Thank you so much compiling all these tools for us man! I appreciate your effort so much. Especially these Impulse Responses. :bowdown:

11. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Well, after all my whining about domestic rigs, I am gonna give a spin to the digital modelling/VST realm.
    Dumb question: do I need to run these in a DAW, or are those (or some of those) standalone like the Neural DSP stuff?

BMFan30 likes this.
  12. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Some plugins have IR loader sections in them already if not then there are tons of free IR loaders floating about. I'm not sure if some are standalone because I run everything inside a daw.

If standalone is a must, then you can use a dummy host to run those VST's.

Something like Tone2 Nanohost or similar sofware that allows you to simulate a daw without a daw to use the plugin in standalone mode.

Some Neural DSP plugins are standalone & some are not if I remember correctly.

But you can still get phenomenal results using a free amp with a free IR loader with Free Impulse Responses. Just have to fork out the time to hunt them all down in various forums & resource sites.

Millul likes this.
  13. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Interface and monitors are on the way, as soon as they're here I'll start experimenting! Thanks for the pointers!

BMFan30 likes this.
  14. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Awesome man, enjoy your new gear when it arrives! You're welcome, here to help as well as learn.

I really recommend if you have some time to kill until they arrive that you start hunting IR's & other digital gear now so you can hit the ground running with a collection of stuff VS starting your IR hunt on the day of your delivery because its going to take you a while to collect a decent amount of stuff.

So why not kill 2 birds with one stone & get that stuff beforehand?

Millul likes this.
  15. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

I've actually already downloaded the Neural DSP Gojira trial, but my old AF Roland interface is giving me some latency, so that is currently not that enjoyable...I'll explore a bit! Cheers!

BMFan30 likes this.
  16. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I have an old interface too but I still do fine if I turn the quality down to low & switch from stereo to mono with Neural plugins.

If that fails then just use something more lightweight with a free IR loader.

17. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Super cool of you to do this.

18. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

This is awesome, thanks. If they could only make my guitar playing better...

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't do a ton with VSTs and IRs but I've recently realized that just tracking DI's is probably a better way of approaching songwriting, where arrangements are very much in flux and it's entirely conceivable I'll come back and lay down a new set of chord changes under the solo sction, etc.

So.... anything in there do a Mark-IV style smooth lead better than the Lepou Lecto I've been messing with? It's actually pretty good and I can get close to where my lead tone was when I was using my Roadster primarily, but no harm asking!

budda likes this.
  20. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

There's a couple Mark's in there. I think a 3 and 4 but I may have gotten the exact models wrong.

I find that often times you get a sound you want NOT with the vst amp equivalent. Diesel VSTs might get you Engl sounds while the Engl ones might get you recto ones.

It all boils down to IRs and how you EQ

aesthyrian, c7spheres and Drew like this.