The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I own both the strat and tele single coil sets. They can handle high gain. I don't think it's ideally suited for chugging because I don't think single coils are ideal for that. That said, they are very quiet. The tele has a little more girth on the bridge, so I would say it's a little better if you want to do the high gain stuff. If you went with the strat set, I would wire the bridge to the tone control if you want to do rhythm. It's quite bright.

2. Bastian93

Bastian93 SS.org Regular

Hey Fishman users,

I want to join your club. After trying out the Tosin set in a friends guitar I completely fell in love with the sound and especially the versatility of them.
    Looking at the wiring diagrams at the Fishman website, I was wondering if I could use a Fender style 5 way switch (PIC) + 1 Vol+ 1 Tone Poti (could use push/pull potis that are included in the set)? Or is it necessary to get an Oak Grigsby Super Switch or the Otax model shown in the diagrams?
    It's important to me that I can access all 3 Voicings.

Only time I switched PUs it was a simple passiv pu to passive pu switch, so im not really experienced in that field.

Hope you can help me out here, so I can join your club as fast as possible ;)

3. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

From my experience, not at all. Look at the wiring diagram. Needs to be a 4-pole 5-way switch if you want that exact setup. It's what I have myself, the Tosin Abasi set with the 5-way and push/pull tone knob. Though for what it's worth, the tech that I had install it wasn't a fan of the Oak Grigsby switch as it was a little rickety, but it works, so. Unless it craps out on me at some point, it's all fine.

The pickups come with all wiring and pots necessary for the wiring diagrams they show (including push/pull). You'll have leftovers. As I said, I had a tech install it because there's no way I wanted to stuff it up myself...

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Just wondering for a future build, it'll be coming with Tosin Fishmans. Wired to a 5 Way so 1/3/5 are the Humbucking Bridge/Middle/Neck sounds, and 2/4 are the split tones.

If I bought the Townsend set, I'm assuming these are connected in a similar fashion to EMGs via their quick connect system. Could I simply plug the Townsend Set there and have all the tones available or would I need to change the wiring for the Townsend set?

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

the coil splits would have to be soldered onto the townsend set, but otherwise it should work fine :shrug:

6. luckymethod

luckymethod SS.org Regular

I also want to change the three positions switch in my Strandberg and move to a 5 positions but I wanted to get a slight different setup compared to the Tosin diagram. Fishman doesn't really seem to consider 5 positions in their diagrams and I wonder why.

7. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

The way they work is:
    Want to activate ____? Send the pin/pad to the ground. In terms of priority, if V3 and V2 are grounded, it goes to V3 instead of V2. Practially, this means you can put your multimeter to what you want to solder to. If it is electrically connected to ground, then soldering to that will engage that pickup selection in that switch position.

For me, that explains all I need to know. You might not be as comfortable with electrical stuff. If so, call Fishman. Likely they will just tell you to take it to a tech. Possibly they will have a diagram. If not, take it to a tech.

8. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

Hey guys !

I don't know if this has been posted before, sorry if that's the case, but the guys at Fishman have created a library with isolated sound clips from every pickups they make.
    You can download them all at the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/579zckh7d35x9kj/AAD2xZM8PbXSxTVz6hRoAOR8a?dl=0
    (Sound Clips are all in WAV format, the entire library is 577MB compressed, 605MB unzip)

In this library you get:
    - Classic humbuckers
    - Modern humbuckers
    - Devid Towsen Signature Series
    - Keith Merrow Signature Series
    - Killswitch Engage Signature Series
    - Stephen Carpenter Signature Series
    - Tosin Abasi Signature Series
    - Will Adler Signature Series

- samples from all the voicing availables for each pickups
    - samples on clean presets
    - samples on dirty presets

This is really a great move from them to allow us to make good comparisons. Put the WAV samples in your DAW and have fun !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

^This, is awesome.

I hope they do it for the 7 and 8 string pickups too.

10. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

I recently had a chance to try out the Fluence Carpenters and to me they have the most passive like transient response and dynamics and a really nice thick tone. Needless to say these will go into my next 7 string.

11. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Interesting... I might have to give them a try at some point.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

This comparison makes me wanna try the Willie's.

But goddammit why are they only available in that ugly worn gold finish? Could look killer in black.

And the Steph's sound good, but no more 6-string set. :(

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Yeah, I don't get why they would limit the 6 string Steph set to only 50 units. I played the 6 string set as well and it sounded great in the Lag guitar that they were installed in.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

really digging the aggressive snarl of the classics and the adlers. the devy set sounds great too.

Kyle Jordan and LeviathanKiller like this.
  15. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

How are the Classics compared to the Merrows?

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

classics voice1 is brighter overall and sharper in the highs/high mids. v2 has a bit more grunt in the low mids compared to v1 from what I can hear.
    classic V1 reminds me of the guitar tone from you've got another thing coming.
    merrow bridge voice 1 seems to have a bit more low end than the classic v1. It doesn't have that same high mid sharpness either. voice 2 sounds pretty comparable to the classic v2 just with a bigger low end.

Kyle Jordan and LeviathanKiller like this.
  17. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I'll add that I'm liking the Classics more every time I hear them. They were my favorite Fluences that I played and I'm stoked that not only did they bring them out in 7 and 8 string versions with the Open Cores, but that they seemed to have combined them with the Classic Single Width pickups too with the 4rd voicing.

I have to wait to actually try them until I get my Jackson and S8 sold, but I cannot wait to get them in to the LTD I'm buying.

Strobe likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

So I was thinking about getting an EMG 81/60 set for my just-recently acquired LTD EXP-200. Cuz, you know... ESP Explorers need EMGs. :lol:

But I found this video of someone comparing the EMG 81/85 set to the Fluence Classics... and god the EMGs sound fucking terrible here. Flat, muddy, lifeless. The Fishmans sound SO much better.

Might have to change my mind. :lol:

Kyle Jordan and Strobe like this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yeah if I don't like the tosin set in my next build then I'm going to grab some classics. the moderns are cool but the classics just have that old school snarl that i like

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  20. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

In your opinion, are the classics suitable for tunings of C or B standard?