The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. TyT

TyT SS.org Regular

Hello @Dayne
    Awesome thanks.
    Definitely want to set it up as Tosin does with all the options if possible.
    Sounds like your tech may have used the 5 way super switch not the otax super switch? They are quite a different shape looking in the manual.
    I am not any form of tech either just hoping I can source the switch that fits better and give it to the tech.
    Do you know if yours was a standard 5way super switch or the otax.
    Thanks for all your help. I was hoping you would read my query. Legend thanks.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Otax and the Schaller are wired the same.

3. Justaguitarist

Justaguitarist SS.org Regular

Is it possible to use the abasis with a fishman fluence single coil in the middle position? Like an hsh setup.

4. diagrammatiks

yup. You can’t really use tosins position 2 with out complex wiring. But you can definitely use hsh

5. slavboi_delight

slavboi_delight SS.org Regular

yup the townsends really have a nice tele vibe. Haven't played any of the others except for the moderns and those "only" have a split function and not a 3rd voice

6. slavboi_delight

I want to change the JB/Jazz in my M2 to the fluence classics but it only has the 1 vol pot and the 3 way toggle. Any solutions on how i can get to not only voice 2 but voice 3 as well?

7. Jeries

Jeries Dimarzio Endorsed Cliplocks!

8. slavboi_delight

9. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Hey all, noob wiring question here. I'm going to throw a set of fishman moderns into a guitar setup already with the EMG solderless system (right now don't care about v2). From what I gather, the Fishman's do need grounded unlike the EMG's. So here's where I'm a little fuzzy. The guitar is properly shielded (shielding grounded to bridge).

Would/should I need to add a ground wire to the output jack sleeve, or is the pots contacting the grounded shielding a sufficient ground for the fishman's?

10. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

11. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

For dedicated single-coil tones, see below, but if u're actually wondering about actual coil-splitting tones, I tend to like those tones as well. They are not single-coil-y though, say in case of the Moderns, u get a similar tone to V1/V2 humbucker but with much lower output, a bit of brightness, and noise, not an issue for clean tones, but for anything with gain, be forewarned!

Let's not forget the KSE single coil V3, I'd put it up there with the Tosin imho.

12. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I have Tosins on order for my RG2228 and I'm going one vol with OTAX. Just remember those 2 switches you mentioned are different from a normal 5 way. Pots that are included are good to go.

13. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

How valuable do you folks generally find switching voices on your various Fishmans? Do you use it a lot, or do you tend to just stick to one that you prefer?

A modern set is in my near future and I'm just thinking about how I'm going to wire it up. I only have 1V, 1T and a 3 way to work with, and (I think) you can wire it to have tone pot be a normal tone for both pickups and also switch the voice of one, but simpler set-up to have 1 push-pull switch both voices I think might be more intuitive to use when playing.

What would you go for?

14. diagrammatiks

1 pp to change voice the other to split the coils

LostTheTone likes this.
  15. juka

juka SS.org Regular

When I still had the Moderns I used V1 nearly all the time, since I've changed to the Merrows I use all 3 voices all of the time YMMV

16. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I mostly only use voice 1 on my Will Adlers which is the "passive" voice. It sounds thicker and more natural if that makes sense than voice 2.

All Fluence pickups arrive with 2 regular pots and 2 push pull . Doesnt really matter if you use 1 push pull for voice switching or 2 .. 1 worka totally fine

LostTheTone likes this.
  17. Julian D.

Julian D. SS.org Regular

To be honest I cannot hear any major differences between both voices at least on the modern ceramic set. Splitting or coil tapping imo gives more value to the sound as the voice option. But I have to say that the Fluence pickups are the best active pickups on the market. I tried them some weeks ago:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021 at 4:29 AM
  18. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Ty for the demo - And I do have to agree that I can't hear all that much difference, but also that it kinda doesn't matter all that much.

That's one reason why I wanted to ask because I am somewhat tempted to not even wire up the voice switching to an external control. I'm a big fan of keeping the controls that are accessible to me while playing to a minimum. I will grudgingly put functional pots in the holes that already exist but I don't like to complicate it.

Where there is a big shift in sound, at least it's obvious if it's been changed without me noticing, but if the shift is small enough that I could tweak two knobs on the amp and get to that sound, then I am suspicious. I don't know how much I would use splitting either, but that does seem more usable.

Of course, Fluence's do seem to sound just flat out great. The voice switching for me is not what I'm buying them for at all, it's just because they do seem to just sound great. Even if I just wired them up with no extra features I'm sure I'd be happy with them. I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of whether I would really miss not having voices immediately available.

For the benefit of those of us who are new to Fishman - When you are wiring the coil tap, do you have to just short between the two coil tap solder pads, or do you take two wires from their pads and then wire it like a traditional 4-cable coil tap?

Julian D. likes this.
  19. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I have the Tosin Set and while I love to use the single coil tones (the main reason why I bought those pickups), I don't really switch a lot between voice 1 and 2. Isolated you can hear a difference, but once it's in a mix I doubt anyone could differentiate anything. I'm mostly using voice 1 and while it's nice to have something to choose from, I guess for me at least a more minmal setup would've worked, too.

LostTheTone likes this.