The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Seeing the video of Steph at Namm Fishman booth/demo, even Steph said in front of the crowd if he was given the chance again he'd change them. It sounds like he's not even really happy with them. I remember seeing it and was thinking uh oh, that's not a good endorcement there : )

2. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

ZZounds has 6 strong sets in stock.

3. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

I am now a part of the Fishman Fluence family.
    3845797C-4B3D-454A-A752-5270D555D65A.jpeg 5FDE604E-AAAD-4128-B015-D69342101F8C.jpeg 16ED0D68-2F51-4A2B-80F4-202781C057C1.jpeg 3C2CF945-CF16-4959-9399-F00891936BF1.jpeg

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

5. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

G-Life! Japanese guitar brand from Daita (of SIAM Shade fame).

Masoo2 and Adieu like this.
  6. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Rarely have I been this indecisive, going back and forth with do I order Tosin 8's for my RG2228. I'll probably sell the guitar soon so the question is more do I want to test something else than 808s as long as I have the guitar and does the swap raise the value of the guitar enough.
    When I go look for passives instead I always come to the conclusion that a new set of Fishmans is cheaper than or equal to 2nd hand quality passives.

Strobe likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ya fishmans are super cheap used.

The tech should be a lot more scalable then traditional technology as well so maybe they'll get even cheaper.

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

My Strandberg Fusion NT is arriving today, and has a HSH setup. I'm really contemplating doing some combination of an Open Core, Reyes, and/or Merrow setup.

9. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I’m thinking of swapping the moderns in my Singularity for Classics or Tosins. Is it a simple swap or do I need to rewire to whole thing?

10. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Yep, found it! Forward to 6:25.

11. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Makes me wonder if they’ll make a “2.0” version...

They certainly looked sweet in my guitar, but that bridge was a bit of a one trick pony for my taste.

If he had the opportunity to voice something between a JB and an 81, I’d be aaalllllll over it! Not likely, but one can dream.

12. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Between a JB and an 81 is kind of how I hear the normal modern set.

I kind of heard the SC set as a modern with way more lows and a slightly different midrange. For my personal preferences that's not necessarily bad, but it's bad for extended range, which oddly is his thing.

13. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I didn’t find them “bad” for ER, the bridge just sounded and felt like a “all metal, all the time” tone to me. I guess what I’d really like to see is a tweaked version of the Modern with an alnico in the bridge (voiced accordingly - I didn’t care for the Modern neck in the bridge).

I’d just use the Classic set but I’ve got an Ibanez multi-scale that uses 8 string pups in a 7-string guitar.

14. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

After spending some time with the Moderns, I’m now considering swapping the Rear PU with the Front PU (the Ceramic has a bit of that “cocked wah” thing going on). However I’m a bit apprehensive considering I’m not a huge fan of the EMG Super 77 in the Neck (which are similar and also uses Ceramic Magnets).

I may opt to go with a Alnico/Alnico configuration, or possibly try out the Tosin’s. I’m not a fan of his tone, but I do like the options. I’m really anticipating the Reyes set, which may be just right for me. But I want a Fishman PU that has the soap bar shape in order to keep the current aesthetic. Any feedback or recommendations? Also to note, I’m using V1 Gain on both pickups. I may go back to the original setting on the Front PU since I really only use it for high gain anyways. Additionally I don’t really use V2 for either pickup (yet), although that may change over time.

I do want to note that I’ve tried the Classics on a 6 string, and wasn’t a huge fan. They were nosier than the EMG 57/66 set and only one voice from each PU was usable for me. The brightness and clarity were great on V1, but V2 sounded incredibly “choked” for lack of a better word. The 57/66-7 is too compressed for me, I much preferred them in a 6 string. I love V1 on the Moderns, but just want it to be a bit sweeter and buttery with more usable options for my tastes.

15. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

@hensh!n
    Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. Have you considered passives? =)

16. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I have a 7 string guitar with moderns (ceramic bridge) and a 6 string with an alnico in the bridge (single pickup). The alnico is not a vastly different sound than the ceramic, but it *is* less cocked wah sounding. Voice 2 is also less cocked wah sounding on both pickups. That said, the cocked wah thing kind of works in the mix in my experience. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

Not to be contrary, but I am not sure switching to passives is going to inoculate anyone from the dangers of overthinking pickups :)

17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The cocked wah sound is easily remedied by boosting the bass and scooping the mids a little on your amp. The less cocked wah sounding Fluence Ceramic is the Tosin and the Adler. But I guess if you are going for a seven soapbar, the choices dwindle between the Modern, Stephen and the Tosin.

hensh!n and Strobe like this.
  18. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

I’ve only been using Actives for about 4 years, spending the other 15 using Passives. I liked the SD Jazz in the Neck, and used the JBE Two Tones for 2+ years. Other than that, nothing has been remarkable or stood out to me. Looking back, most of them were pretty weak sounding and noisy. But I didn’t get into swapping stock PU’s until 2013. I recently tried a set of BKP Aftermaths, which sounded pretty clean for Ceramic PU’s, but not worth the ridiculous asking price.

19. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

Perhaps the Tosin are where it’s at.

20. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

Hey guys, sorry if this question is really dumb, but would a Fishman Fluence humbucker work with the Dual Mode cable from the EMGs with coil split?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020