The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

This guy has recently been making comparision videos. From what I hear on them I prefer the EMGs on all videos, but they dont seem all that diferent to be honest.

2. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Hmmm the classic V2 sounds a bit closer to the JH.

3. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Really intersting comparisons, I just wish he would have volume matched them as the V1 voice is way louder than V2/EMG (apart from the last video). Interesting to see how close some of them get, you can kind of see where Fishman are aiming their offerings to compete but with extra voicings. I'm still hearing more pick chirp on the EMG's, which was my own personal reason for stepping away from them about 10 years ago.

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The big problem with comparison videos is that under high gain, many pickup recordings either sound the same or can be EQ'd to sound the same. What really makes a difference it how it sounds live/jamming through YOUR setup and YOUR guitars. Sadly there is no real way to do this without just trying a bunch of pickups yourself.

lewis likes this.
  5. Choop

Choop n______n

I like how much more open the Fishman pickups sound in V1, but there is also a good amount of high end present--at least with the classics.

6. MASS DEFECT

The classics are the brightest fluence pups around. I havent seen or heard youtube demos of people chugging riffs on V1 except for the demos above. Most people prefer V2. From these demos, I like V1 more.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Absolutely this!

Ive said this before but its why whenever i do risk posting an opinion on this forum, i always add "for my playing and my needs, its not what i want" etc
    And why i get rattled at the people who are blindly bigging up Fishman through thick and thin and legit trying to claim if you dont think they are amazing - you are wrong.

Funny way of viewing opinions but there we go haha.

Ive kept my Moderns for album tracking only. But the in the room/live mix context with my rig and play styles - EMGs just work better. At least i can easily swap the pups in and out with quick connect

8. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

That’s a great point about “demo” videos - you have to take into account the recording, the player, their rig, their interface etc...... so its not like a “true” demo done by a professional company in a closed environment with set controls and known variables...

HOWEVER, with that in mind, that Fishman video with Tosin and Reyes was very revealing, and the Carpenter set is extremely impressive, especially for metal. Although the video doesn’t show the SRC obviously its for Tosin and Reyes, the SRC set sounded amazing to me, beyond comparison. I would imagine however, with the versatility I’ve seen, and all of the options available (voicings, gain, H/F tilts, split coiling) is beyond comparison.

Now, if you like THAT, or if thats what you want, is another story...just like the rig youre playing through. So maybe Fishman did make the biggest leap in pickups since Les Paul....that doesnt mean its for you.

So just play what you love, and let others do the same...live and let live, or let die....however it goes lol

9. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Tosin set + RG2228?
    I'd have two pots in use only. Vol vol most likely.

"Push-pull Voice Selector pot for use in Volume or Tone position"
    Are both vol and tone pots log pots in this set or actives in general?

Dealer site says "two vol + two p/p pots" included.

10. MASS DEFECT

Both vol and tone pots were push pull in my set. Vol to go for v1 and v2. Tone for single coil v3.

Tisca likes this.
  11. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

I'm too lazy to search, what's the battery life like with the Fluences? I seem to recall someone, somewhere mentioning it wasn't great?

12. MASS DEFECT

150 hours. Significantly less hours than emg or blackouts.

dpm likes this.
  13. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

Thanks!

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup. Especially sucks when you're sure one of your guitars has a short because i had to constantly replace batteries.

15. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

TBH the ONLY drawback/negative to add to the con list of Fluence are they EAT 9v batteries like a kid eats candy, yet with that said, Fishman was clever and thought of the solution by offering two options for a rechargable/USB Li-ion alternative power source, which you can also play while charging plugged in.....so IF you have the rechargeable Fluence battery, its actually another pro now that I think about it relatively to that...

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I just use a nine volt usb rechargeable lipo. They last forever.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean i had a guitar that seemed to have fucked up wiring, so the battery drained constantly. I had to change batteries like once every two weeks. I couldn't figure it out.

18. pablometal

pablometal SS.org Regular

i use rechargeable batteries and they only last 1 day, just like EMG's. I always record stuff so my pc is always on and my guitar plugged to my interface.. i'm pretty sure if i unplug it it will last longer. IDK how much it would last just connected to an amplifier.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If you are going to leave your guitar plugged in it’s gonna drain. The best thing to do is get a kill switch stereo cable that you can lift the ground on. Or wire a switch.
    Although honestly if I were you I’d just use a rechargeable and leave the usb charger plugged in.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Anyone used EMG and Fluence in the same guitar?

Got one of those Schecter Super Shredder 7's coming in and wanna chuck a fluence in the bridge