The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Gmork, setsuna7 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

So my mh1000 should be delivered next week and I'm still a bit hesitating on which set I should try first. The moderns seem to sound great but I'm afraid they might have a bit too much output ?

For reference, my favourite "go to bridge pups" are the duncan SH5 and TB6 depending on the context

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

IIRC the Moderns were on par with the SH-6. You should be fine.

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

got bored, made some random noodling clips with my FSM and my modern loaded baritone. I think they pair even better with this amp than they do with my mk3 since the fsm has some low mid grind to fill in the sound, though I need to turn down the high end on my amp since it's a bit ear-rapey right now. download for best quality.
    bridge V1: https://app.box.com/s/hsxbw0lpx48a0u9khz2x8lifmcbg1hrb
    bridge V2: https://app.box.com/s/4fpl4fjndfjujdfmeu7mz0w2j38vxw1s
    dirty/rolled off cleans neck V1 and V2: https://app.box.com/s/ykn1lmdz7ldxxzmmij958dlt737cdhte

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Finally got to try a Killswitch Engage signature Fluence.

[​IMG]

I'm not so sure I like it over the Modern but it sure sounds a bit different. At the get go, the KSE set seems drier and less compressed in V1. Think of an EMG 85 in the bridge but take out all the bass. It is VERY VERY tight and clear. The sizzle seemed dialed down, or maybe it is just the guitar. I'm missing the sag of my modern, but the KSE set seems at home with fat sounding amps. They sound snappy and quick. Sounds pretty awesome doing Slayer runs.

V2 sound huge. Too much bass. I don't like it.

Single coil sound is a bit darker than the Tosins I have. The Tosins have the position 3 strat sound while this one is a bit like neck single coils in Japanese Jackson Dinkies with HSS config.

6. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Although you can find quite some info on how the bridge PUs compare to each other, I would like to know more about the neck PUs.
    Which one would be best suited for those Petrucci high gain neck PU leads?
    As much as I like my Modern 7 set, that's where to me the neck PU is lacking a bit.
    Would the TA neck be better suited for this?

Iceblade likes this.
  7. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

IMO the Tosin neck,split V2, sounds like a Tele, crystal glass sounding tone. thru distortion, instant Tom Morello sounds.

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

You're right that V2 adds a shitload of low end. I've found that V2 is really good for leads, single note stuff, and cleans where voice 1 can be a bit pokey.

Played my KSE-equipped guitar though a dual recto recently. V1 was amazing for tightening up the sound, while still sounding huge. V2 was just out of control with the low end for riffs, as you'd imagine.

Strobe likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

I kinda liked V2 for some dirty stuff, actually. Sounds great for huge power chords ala late '90s/early 2000s nu metal and shit like that. :lol: Of course it wasn't really designed for dirt sounds. Was more for their clean sounds. I dig it a lot for single note and lead stuff too, as someone before said.

I will admit, I wanna give the Moderns one more shot. I have my LTD H3 with a Black Winter/Jazz set, which is already perfect for the guitar... But fuck, sometimes you gotta experiment. :rofl:

setsuna7 and Gmork like this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

So I have a guitar with an EMG 81/60 set coming next week hopefully. Will probably finally give me an excuse to do a comparison between the 81, Modern bridge, and Classic bridge.

Flappydoodle, setsuna7 and Gmork like this.
  11. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I would love to hear this!

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I'm still not getting along with the Moderns and I feel like it's just the character of them in general (something the HF solder pad wouldn't fix probably)

Whenever I can alot the money to that guitar, I'm going to go for the Tosin set I believe.

EDIT: So, can you swap the bridge and neck without a noticeable volume difference? I may put the alnico 5 in the bridge and ceramic in the neck...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  13. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

On the HF Tilt - you won’t know until you try, and it’s easy to undo.

With it off (aka they way they’re intended to be used) they sound like a weird hifi emulation to me, sort of like a bad amp sim/frfr setup that just doesn’t feel right.

With HF Tilt engaged they start behaving like versatile, proper pickups. The difference isn’t quite as dramatic on the Classics to me, but with Moderns I turned the Tilt on and left it.

14. Albake21

I did this with two sets. While it did help, it still have that same tone in the moderns that I just don't get along with. It was definitely darker though which was nice.

15. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Sounds like you guys should really try out the Devin Townsend Signatures instead.
    As they were designed with Devin's extremely bright signature guitar in mind, they always had this rolled down tone pot feel to me

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Ew. :lol:

Yeah I'm hoping experimenting with the Moderns will tell me if I either got a fucked up set for my PRS 7-string, or I accidentally put the neck pickup in the bridge position. My guitar is coming in next Monday, but given I have so much work going on Monday and possible dental surgery sometime next week, I'm not sure when I'll be able to record comparison clips.

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

That description does not sound desirable. lol
    Nevertheless, I play 7 and the DT set doesn't come in 7-string size.

18. Quiet Coil

If they ever make Tosin’s 7 string set in a regular humbucker size I’ll be all over that, seems like the Modern set but with an actual “personality”.

Until then it’s the Classic 7’s for me, which are great overall save for the split tone (disappointing on anything but clean).

19. Albake21

Actually on Fishman's site it look like they are selling them, at least maybe in the future.

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/tosin-abasi-signature-pickup-set/

20. Quiet Coil

Those are still essentially “covered” pickups and wouldn’t fit in a direct mount cavity routed tightly around an open coil pickup (should be fine with pickup rings).

In my case it’s the KM-7 MkII and the rout is cut right up to the curvature of the pickup.

EDIT: Yeah I forgot to specify uncovered.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Albake21 likes this.